I need help with a big question please

I have been hosting with McHost.com for two years now. I cannot get support and am trying to decide on a VP or Dedicated.

VP or Dedicated
    A VP server sounds good because of hardware and support issues would be upon the service provider. More of a managed invironment.

Disadvantage: not near enough space from what I have seen. and limited to the number of sub domains that you can have. I am wanting to setup something like a freeservers or fortunecity and give free web space to people. already have advertisers ready to come on board..

I am really worried about space though with a VP

Dedicated
    Although I really want my own server. I am limited to what I can do. Mchost host has cpanel, Forums, mysql and a ton of other scritps that are in the control panel and east to install.. click and give it a name and you are done.. (not plugging for Mchost by an means) I am looking to get away from them because of really bad support and double billing.

My main worry here is patches and adding software to the server and mat.. is it that tough once you get it up and running? and is it something that a novice can do?

I really would appreciated your input here.

who does people like Mchost use? I know that they use other companies and do not use there own servers.

and last.. can someone recommend good cheap dedicated or vp servers? I want reliable.. although I cannot afford big bucks right now.. I still want some good uptime.

thanks

Tim

If you have a low budget then the VPS is probably best.

If you really want a dedicated server then you will need to get someone to manage it. You can have a control panel installed so it will be just as easy to do things like configure email, mysql and the other scripts. However for the backend stuff an experienced admin would help a lot. You are probably looking at a few hundred $ a month for a decent server with management.
    Steve

vpscolo / dinix has fully managed VPS, it would be better start off with a VPS instead of a true dedicated server if you aren't familiar with server administration tasks.

who does people like Mchost use? I know that they use other companies and do not use there own servers.
    If I have not mistaken, McHost has its servers at GNAX.

My main worry here is patches and adding software to the server and mat.. is it that tough once you get it up and running? and is it something that a novice can do?
    It is actually quite easy. Anyways, if you are unsure of doing that, just look for a managed server.

Thank you and good luck!
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Thanks for the replies everyone.. What is the best and most reliable VP servers that you all know about? any help here?

really though thanks.. Also, Marc came back and offered me the VP server there for about 1/3 of the cost since I have had so much trouble.. about 50.00 a month but I have seen dedicated servers for 59.00 and VP for as low as 29...

anwyays, anyone know of any good VP to host with where I can upgrade if needed.. Reliable..

tim

Well Marc at Mchost replied back and gave me a deal that I cannot live without. I will stay there and am moving up to a vp server.

Also, he said they are working hard on support to make it better and a few features on the VP server that will help on reboots.. So I am happy..

to be honest after the email I sent to them I am suprised that Marc did not shut me down then. So I guess they do care after all.

thanks for all the help anyways guys and I would suggest that as long as they do what they say with the support then give them a try.. uptime has been great.