Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First customer

Exclamation First customer

I was wondering how long it takes to get your first customer. I am advertising on google and a half dozen websites and still no action.

I have only been advertising for 1 day 24 hrs but still i would expect some sales emails or something.

It took 3 months to get my first customer.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

We had a client base pretty much built before we even opened our site. I would think that you won't get much traffic until you get on the search engines and have people linking to you.

Good luck!
    Sara

Sara Nelson Photography Preserving your moments since 1973.

We still host our first customer . But yes it did not happen overnight. I guess that's what all these startups expect

Well, honestly, your website button doesn't invoke much confidence and professionalism in me regarding your services. It takes me to a website with a sole picture of a party.

Now I am not saying you can't have fun in your spare time, that's your perogative (and mine ), I am simply saying that having your website on WHT as one of a party picture when you are trying to get people to entrust their businesses in you, doesn't make much sense to me.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

I'm gonna go way out and say the site in his profile isn't the hosting site. But if it is, don't expect many unsolicited signups. Friends may be okay with it but I think the average user may look elsewhere.

whats the link to the hosting site, let us see

I wasn't assuming that it was his hosting website...however, when you come to a hosting community such as WHT and ask "why don't I have any customers yet?", the first thing I personally do, is check their website.

Being that it isn't even a hosting site, I can't really answer (competently) as to why there are no customers.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

<-- Laughing hysterically over the party.

Now those people either did one of two things:

Got Free Hosting Accounts with 24x7 service which is cause for celebration OR that's the entire hosting staff taking a night off for St. Patrick's Day!
    - Tim

Greetings:

Have you tried social engineering over network engineering?

Maybe if you choined the local chamber of commerce, and physically went to networking events?

Virtual reality has its place, but social networking generally wins hands over.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Originally posted by MN-Robert
    We still host our first customer .

Yep, same with HTTPme.
    But yes it did not happen overnight. I guess that's what all these startups expect

Yep. I think it took 3 weeks for HTTPme to get its first paying client. The next month might have got another 10. After 12mths, HTTPme had around 350 paying clients, than after 2 years, around 900 paying clients. It's just a matter of managing momentum through word of mouth and keeping the focus on customer service, rather than sales.

im not linking to my web hosting website. The site that is linked to my profile is my personal website. If you want to see my business site go to http://www.ez123host.com

So I should host with you guys because you like to party?? I'm confused. Maybe you're sending out the wrong marketing message. What I'm getting from your site is pepsi is cool to drink at parties

Justin

actually the empirechat website i did for my first web design client. I took it off of my profile. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. i was thinking about offering free webhosting having people use www.ez123host.com/username for there addi. Im thinking free advertising. I was wondering if that would work.

Wow, I got my first customer in a few minutes.

A few minutes!!!!!????

How in the world did that person get there so fast?

Anyways to a1nerd, I'd lower your prices and learn how to design a good looking, profesional site first.

Top banner at hotmail.com would work ! *wink*

It takes time, for sure.
    When everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough Mario Andretti, Racer

Originally posted by a1nerd
    im not linking to my web hosting website. The site that is linked to my profile is my personal website. If you want to see my business site go to http://www.ez123host.com
    Simply pathetic. The following line (from his website) says it all. "For more information please contact us we will be more then happy to assist you."

Is that 2 sentences disguised as 1? Work on your grammar and then work on your business. You're not looking very respectable at this point in time.

Heh.. well i just asked my friends to spread it around endlessly.. a week later i have my first customer
    josh

the best way is to personally talk with potential clients. and if you want happy customers, focus on quality service, not sales. make it so that it's in their best interest to use your service.
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

If by advertising you mean posting your link on forums, then I suggest you stop as that will get you no where and will give you a bad name.

The #1 way to be successful in web hosting\design is to care about the customer not sales, as many have mentioned above.

The idea of offering free webspace is a good one if implemented properly. For example, I was given free webspace by a user of this forum awhile back. All he wanted was a small link on one of my pages saying where I was hosted at. Needless to say, I was very happy with his service and his helpfulness so I spread the word. Whenever I heard someone was in need of webhosting, I sent them the link and suggested they work with that particular host.

Once you make the client happy, you will get an overflow of others just by word of mouth.

It's been 2 and a half years and we still don't have any customers. What are we doing wrong?
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by NexDog
    It's been 2 and a half years and we still don't have any customers. What are we doing wrong?
    There there Laurance. Hang in there mate. It'll take off sooner or later.

hostnexus im sure you have hundreds of customers. I think it would be impossible not to have 1 in 2 yrs time.

hostnexus im sure you have hundreds of customers. You have a great site and a 1800 number.
    They're doing good.

15 days - i would say it was the time we were learning what plans we should sell.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

Re: First customer

I was wondering how long it takes to get your first customer. I am advertising on google and a half dozen websites and still no action.

I have only been advertising for 1 day 24 hrs but still i would expect some sales emails or something.
    Just one day is not long enough. What did you expect? People don't just see an ad, click on it, and order right away. They shop around and look at a lot of companies before making their final decision. Let 30 days go by and then surely you'll have inquiries, and probably, real orders.

Originally posted by gghosting
    Wow, I got my first customer in a few minutes.
    So that's a paying customer that wasn't a friend, or that you knew previously?

i was thinking about offering free webhosting having people use www.ez123host.com/username for there addi. Im thinking free advertising. I was wondering if that would work.
    That would be okay if you had some people that you know wouldn't abuse the service, but the turnover into paid accounts will probably be less than 1%. People want everything for nothing and 'free' accounts are always available somewhere.

Thankfully I belong to a group of webmasters (for award purposes) so my first order came from a member (thank god! I needed practice). Since then I've taught HTML/webdesign classes in Baltimore, NYC and soon in L.A. so I try to throw a little advertisement in there
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

I'd say about 2 months for my first paying client, then about another month for my next one. After that they started coming in nice and steady. The market I target is not one where you would expect to have a rush the first year, after we broke the 1 year mark things started picking up considerably. I'd say I'll be where we want to plateau in about another year and a half.

Dynamicnet is spot on when he said that social engineering is hands down the best way to network. When the city/town/community you live in are all talking positively about your service you will see the results in sales. You would be amazed at how many businesses/people would much rather do business with an individual or company they have an actual relationship with. Ever wonder why the *other* guy got that highly lucrative client to sign up with them? The decision-maker there knew someone at the company they chose to do business with. That is the case more times than not.

I'll make a few suggestions a1nerd;
    Your site screams "We're closed". You have the largest focal point being a live help "Leave a message" icon. The focal point of your site should scream "Buy me" rather than we're closed.

I didn't even realize there was a menu next to the guy with the laptop until I really started looking. Most people won't look around that long before they leave.

Personally I think you could improve things tremendously by grabbing a TM template and adding some relevant content to your site.

Do everything you can to give yourself an edge and then be patient. Best of luck!

Hi,

i have doubt that you will get any customers soon! hosting business is crowded and all offer their best plans, prices and business skills

you site not offer any information about plans, options, ...., i think you made your site in couple of hours .. belive me customers will feel that easly and you will attract spammers and cc frauds who always can smell new hosts to use them badly

It took us about 2 days to get our first customer. We had 15 customers by 10 days. All of them had subscribed to our most expensive package which was very pleasing.

Didn't spend a penny on advertising either
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Try giving away hosting for cheap for a few weeks to get a decent client base going

Word of Mouth just have been telling everyone I know what I do and I am starting a business. Got my first customer in one week freind via friend. By one month 4 customers, almost breaking even now. And now for advertising......

Originally posted by stealthdevil
    Didn't spend a penny on advertising either
    Just curious, how did they find you then?
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

Originally posted by NexDog
    Two and a half years is a long time for no sales. There's definitely something wrong. Check and make sure your website has an easy way for potential customers to contact your company. Make sure your website is not complicated. The average potential customer will just look at your site for five seconds, and if they don't get a hook to the information they need, they'll get click the "Back" button. Make sure you can grab their attention in that five second window.

Also, make sure all spelling and grammar is correct on your website. Nothing screams more of "amatuer" then incorrect spelling or unprofessional sentences.

And the last thing: this is the most important in my opinion -- answer your business phone all the time and without fail, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! I know you can't be in the office awake 24/7, but you _can_ get your business line calls forwarded to your home or cell. That way, you can be sure you'll never miss a call. Sleep with your cell phone close to your ear just in case a potential customer in a different time zone calls and has questions. Jump out of bed in two seconds and sound awake before you answer!

Of course the above measures only apply when you're starting your business because you don't have the revenues high enough yet to pay a 24/7 Help Desk. After you build a good customer base, then hire a 24/7 Help Desk.

I would suggest NOT giving away free hosting unless you package it in a plan and charge them in the long run... ie. free setup one free month on yearly plan with 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. Tell everyone you meet about your hosting business and maybe give some free space to freinds - use them as test animals to see where you need to improve. Don't bother trying to compete with these guys that give 10 gigs for 3.95 a year - focus on quality and customer satisfaction. Revamp your site - it needs work, give people a reason to explore your site and maybe stick around and buy something, also replace the customer support not online button with blank.gif. it is better to see nothing than to know nobody is paying attention. Get some help on your site design and talk about your goals with friends and people in the business. Word of mouth has produced my best customers and it usually starts with my mouth.
    Server$Hit.com Reseller/Hosting For Real People
    WebHostingAccess Trial Accounts Upon Request
    www.ForALaugh.com Get over IT Get over yourself
    Yahoo IM: concreteseller | Toll Free Support: 1-888-603-5305 | Like the Maytag repairman

Originally posted by greg1024
    Two and a half years is a long time for no sales. There's definitely something wrong. Check and make sure your website has an easy way for potential customers to contact your company. Make sure your website is not complicated. The average potential customer will just look at your site for five seconds, and if they don't get a hook to the information they need, they'll get click the "Back" button. Make sure you can grab their attention in that five second window.

Also, make sure all spelling and grammar is correct on your website. Nothing screams more of "amatuer" then incorrect spelling or unprofessional sentences.

And the last thing: this is the most important in my opinion -- answer your business phone all the time and without fail, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! I know you can't be in the office awake 24/7, but you _can_ get your business line calls forwarded to your home or cell. That way, you can be sure you'll never miss a call. Sleep with your cell phone close to your ear just in case a potential customer in a different time zone calls and has questions. Jump out of bed in two seconds and sound awake before you answer!

Of course the above measures only apply when you're starting your business because you don't have the revenues high enough yet to pay a 24/7 Help Desk. After you build a good customer base, then hire a 24/7 Help Desk.

LOL. Im pretty sure NexDog was just kidding.

EDIT: We got our first customer in 2 weeks of opening the site. He still hosts with us.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast