Thread: Server admin

Server admin

Hey, I am interested in learning how to manage a dedicated server... Sorry for the nub questions but could I buy a crappy computer off of ebay and formatt it and install linux? and what would i need, is Redhat free? Any suggestions?

Yes you could do that. Redhat is free up to fedora, enterprise cost
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Yeah if you have the money, maybe considering dual booting with a linux friendly version..like mandrake or fedora.

www.hostinglife.com

start here
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

If you can't download RedHat 9 (That's the latest free) Try to download it on www.linuxiso.org

I started with RH 9, but I lost the Hard-drive of that box so I now have to wait for a new one, because I won't reformat my Win XP
    ^_^

Almost All Linux is Free, since Linux is Open Source. I would do a RH setup, doesn't really matter which. I know they make a Red Hat for Dummies book. It includes a CD of the RH7.3 Distro. Other than that, you can download practically any Linux .iso for free. The trick is burning the image onto a CD.

Just a couple questions.
    1. Whats a distro
    2. Why do I need to burn it onto a CD
    3. Is Red Hat an OS like Windows XP or is it an application
    Thanks

1, linux is open source, different groups formd together to slightly alter the main linux kernel, thus making a different distro... some gear more for newbies (mandrake, red hat), others go for stability (debian) and others go for whatever goodness (gentoo, the rest)

2. well you dont REALLY need to burn it to a cd... you could get a couple of floppys and depending on the install set up the computer to download the rest right through the computer itself if you dont have a burner...

3. its a os, you can only run linux or windows at one time, not both. you can however install both on the same computer if you partition it... however if you want to be technical, you can get windows to be a program for linux using wine...

I think that before doing any kind of hosting, you should learn as much about your hosting platform (Linux, BSD, what have you). I see people running Web Host Managers out of the box not really understanding how the lower layer operating system itself works. I believe that this is an essentail part of Web Hosting and is overlooked a lot by people wanting to make a cheap buck and get in on the business.

If you have an error in your Web Hosting Manager, and you have no explanation for it, the best thing would be to dig around logs on your system, or investigate it from a system standpoint, rather than just try to click your way through your WHM.

Kinda off topic there, sorry. Bottom line, you would be doing yourself a favor by learning a large part of Linux before moving on to web hosting. There are many resources on the internet that will help you learn. It just takes time, man.

Thanks
    :: dan@hakkrdan.org
    :: www.hakkrdan.org
    ::
    :: jack of all trades

getting cheapest server in datacenter may be best option for RHE - RHE cost - and having server in datacenter you learn how to deal with all the problems wich datacente can make also.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

Originally posted by projectpatch

2. well you dont REALLY need to burn it to a cd... you could get a couple of floppys and depending on the install set up the computer to download the rest right through the computer itself if you dont have a burner...
    You're kidding right? Do you know how many Floppy's do we need to fill 700Mb of a CD!
    ^_^

depends what distribution - you install few mb and rest of packages are installed over internet

Originally posted by heavypredato
    depends what distribution - you install few mb and rest of packages are installed over internet
    Yeah, but that is Debian
    ^_^

Originally posted by Francisco
    Yeah, but that is Debian
    yep

Originally posted by Francisco
    You're kidding right? Do you know how many Floppy's do we need to fill 700Mb of a CD!
    So basically I need to burn the Linux installer so that I have it for any other boxes, or I need to reinstall it / formatt the box?