Question was i nice or not?

today i was checking the servers and i found someone running a very well down warez site, full with ISOs, BIN, and CUE files of some big time software and movies, this user has it setup very nicely i must say, and they all work. im kinda glad they do becasue there on my servers but.

for now i shut the site down and did a redirect to the forum and added a message saying some bs that this cant be allowed on my server.

but for now i dontknow what to do.

any ideas?

if this is a bad post mods please crash this post.
    thx you

ps i will not post the link intill i have a better understanding what i need to do.

Email the client.
    Set up some guidelines for these kinds of sites.
    Either ban them altogether on your server, or make him have every page hold a disclaimer, that the information is here for him, and it is not his fault if people download the illegal stuff...

What are you looking for?
    Do you allow warez in your TOS/AUP?
    Does your upstream provider allow it?

Well basicly...if you allow the user to host those files ..you are going to get in very big trouble.

You need to tell him that it isn't allowed.

There is no middle ground here.

As vengeful said. There is absolutely NO middle ground with this issue. Let them go.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

yes i stoped the accout, and talked to the guy and said this is not the place to do it, but im sure some uk will host it for you, but he also let me know that he uses his own house to host the files which i didnt notice, so i check the ip and it was a full t1 line, or so but it i pinged it at 26ms.

so his site is shut down and 6 gigs of space is free.

have any of even had to deal with this?

Well if it was me I would have already shut down the site completely, along with emailing the client stating why this happened.

Originally posted by LynxPrime
    . . . have any of even had to deal with this?
    You were 'too' nice.

You don't always have to be nice. It is more prudent to be firm, when it comes to protecting yourself and the other clients on the server.

Don't you have something in your tos about hosting or linking to warez or illegal distribution sites? Which doesn't really matter. I'd bet your provider does. I'd suggest you read the tos you agreed to.

To answer your question, it is my humbled opion, you were not nice. You were not nice to this client by showing him that his actions were acceptable; they just weren't wanted by you.

You were not nice to the rest of your clients by putting them at risk for not immediately terminating this account.

You were not nice to yourself, by second guessing whether or not you should take action against illegal activity.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Dennis has a very good point. Warez is illegal, and is most likely against your isp's TOS. You were not nice to your clients at all seeing that your internet service could have been shut down if they had of seen it. Don't doubt yourself on these sort of actions.

Regards,

I would say just have that use sign a contract saying he will not post any warez or use your services for anything illegal.

On our servers they'd be looking at a 500 error - instant termination. No passing Go, no collecting $200.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

yeah good points dennis i did check the TOS on the datacenter and theres no warez allowed.

but i dont have a webhosting site were people to sign up, or read the what can be allowed on my servers, i guess i should make a simple one. just for fun

i run a 'free' service but you have to know me, i use these servers for my classes, extra credit so to say, and other ideas i may have.

thx you all

rm -rf first, ask questions later.