Not impressed with the way Server Matrix handles support

Outage Report

March 19, 2004

Summary: At 23:00 CDT, ServerMatrix engineers were alerted that one of our customer VLAN routers (CAR) was not responding. It was determined that the router had crashed and it was reloaded and returned to normal service. Within several minutes 2 more customer routers crashed as well. Upon inspection, it was determined that the cause of these crashes was a vulnerability in the BlackIce personal firewall program. The details of the vulnerability are located at http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Up...20040213.html. In order to stop the routers from crashing, Planet engineers were required to locate and disconnect all affected servers. In addition, filters were applied at our border routers to prevent further exploitation of the vulnerability. Planet engineers are continuing to monitor all of the routers to make sure the problem does not re-manifest.

Future Mitigation: The filters will be left at the border for an indefinite time to prevent future exploits. In addition, we would suggest that if you utilize the BlackIce firewall system, that you patch your software as soon as possible. If you have any questions about this, please contact our network security team at [email protected].

Thank You,

William Charnock
    VP Network Engineering
    The Planet Internet Services
    In order to stop the routers from crashing, Planet engineers were required to locate and disconnect all affected servers.

They pulled the plug on my machine instead of shutting it down properly. This in turn caused a kernel panic on the server which totally killed the server.

I sent in a reboot request OVER 2 hours ago, and still nothing. I am not impressed. The server is completely down and unreachable.

In case an SM/TP rep reads this, the ticket numbers are 200357PLNT and 200359PLNT.

I am not impressed to say the least.
    ии Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ии
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

They finally rebooted it. After almost 3 hours...

Seems posting on WHT is the only way to get their attention.
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!

i sent request to reboot my server 4 hours before then ......... still not reboot
    btw my server is running as well now

Well, 48 hours after I ordered, I'm told that the ticket for hardware was only for internal tracking, and my server hasn't actually been deployed yet...
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

any damage to the server from this worm? Our got hit hard last night, ran 84.3 Mb/s for a few hours. The server was rebooted and the wont come back up. Was told the Kernal got trashed. Reinstalling OS on a new master and keep old as the slave to recover what data is left.

Also wasn't able to remotely connect. No admin accounts could get access to the server. Is there a varient of the worm that causes this? I have not read of accounts being disabled.
    Last edited by scottkct; 03-20-2004 at 01:46 PM.

No, our server wasnt affected by the worm. They just shut it down along with the rest of the servers, and I guess they either forgot to power it back on, or something went wrong that seems unlikely.

3 hours with a very polite excuse.
    After getting to WHM, I found that Apache had been running for the last 5 hours.
    Last edited by Imago; 03-20-2004 at 02:04 PM.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

hmm

Did you bother to CALL the TOLL Free Support number??

You should always call even if you place a ticket for down servers.

Just my 2 cents.

I have many servers with SM, can calling is always faster.

Yes, I called. Was put on hold for 20 mins then I hung up.

edited- cuz i was rude heh
    Linux/CPanel/WHM Tutorials & How-Tos
    Dedicated Server Tutorials

When they say the term - "Pulled the Plug" - it refers to pulling the CAT5, not pulling the power. I know my server was never shut down during this downtime, and is working perfectly.
    As for their service and support, their 2 ring policy is great, and their support ticket times are pretty darn low (As low as 13 minutes for me).

Im pretty sure that they made a mistake and pulled the plug on that machine. It was down for 8 hours straight during and after the network problems.

Originally posted by cMark
    Im pretty sure that they made a mistake and pulled the plug on that machine. It was down for 8 hours straight during and after the network problems.
    Which router do you access?

Issue resolved. Seems like the only way to get their attention is to post it publically on forums.

CAR2-6.DLLSTX2

Originally posted by cMark
    CAR2-6.DLLSTX2
    Maybe they just pulled the *Power* plugs on 2-6.

I use car2-8.dllstx2. But 2-8 ended up having more downtime anyway.

Yes, I will always use WHM to air problems with SM support. I am in the UK, it is relatively expensive for me to phone, so I can't jump the queue as easily as some with the phone, so I use WHM to jump the queue.

The whole thing would be better handled with decent trouble ticket software and a higher priority of attention being paid to it. This queue jumping system they have in place at the moment sux.

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    I use car2-8.dllstx2. But 2-8 ended up having more downtime anyway. [/B]
    12 hours for me. But cannot prove it. Except that there was no whatsoever activity onsite.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

well im with the planet and usually they respond fast - one of the servers didnt wanted to run newest kernel - they fixed it in less than 30 min.

i would do it myself but my remote virtual console is not operational yet - they are getting additional hardware to make it work - should be soon

but i wasnt impressed with SM when i had some servers with them.

biggest problem for me in planet support is no contact with tech assigned to fix etc. server - techs going to server should have somekind of pocketpc - right now there is no contact with tech who went to check server.
    Pro-net-hosting.com - www.pro-net-hosting.com
    Pro hosting solutions since april 2003.

I use WHM to jump the queue
    What is WHM?

I phoned them becuase they answer tickets in 5 hours or more and the problem is serious. A tech guy told me the ticket will be updated. ok 20 minutes and the ticket was updated.

Now waiting 3 hours and the ticket hasn't been updated another time.

I DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THEY AREN'T WAITING ONE CALLING EACH TIME WHAT WE WANT TO UPDATE A TICKET

I was affected as well. They said i needed an os reinstall because of this. I asked if i had to pay for it and the tech told me yes. I dont feel like spending another $75 on my server when i could get the 2.8 deal for $249 right from theplanet for about the same price as my dual 2.4 system with all the options i have setup on it. and those options are included free with the dual 2.8 system plus 2000gb/mo so id be better off. But i think Im just going to go with a different company. Server matrix seems like a good company but i wish they would have sent a notice out that there might be some problems for customers with windows servers. So it could have been avoided.