root ftp login, howto?

i've been told it's a bad idea but for some reasons i really need it, to save time spent on editing files using pico.

i have proftp and pureftp on my redhat cpanel/whm box, how can i set it up?

thanks

Edit the file /etc/ftpaccess and comment out the 'deny-uid' and 'deny-gid' lines.

Also, remove the 'root' line from /etc/ftpusers.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Re: root ftp login, howto?

Originally posted by lwknet
    i've been told it's a bad idea but for some reasons i really need it, to save time spent on editing files using pico.

i have proftp and pureftp on my redhat cpanel/whm box, how can i set it up?

thanks
    You don't need to use FTP at all. (it's a bad idea in general, but to openly spread your root password to anyone between you and your server is a pretty daft thing to do)

Download yourself a copy of WinSCP for Windows clients or use command line sftp/scp (or any GUI client you fancy) for Linux clients, and you can use a secure version of FTP to connect to your server. Most servers with SSH login enabled will have SFTP enabled too.

when i cat/pico to /etc/ftpaccess and /etc/ftpusers i got no such file or directory

i just discovered wheel group users login to proftp will have "access" to files owned by "root" but not permission to "write"

is editing files owned by "root" ftpd specific like different config for different ftpd (pro/pure ftp) or simply editing a few lines in redhat conf files?

Sorry about that.

For proftpd, to enable root ftp ensure that the directive "RootLogin on" is included in your configuration.

I cannot understand why you want to run 2 ftpds' concurrently?
    Have you Floble'd today?

I vote for WinSCP as well. Great windows-explorer like system with a built in text editor.

Free / open source at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/winscp/

winscp is best program to edit file with root access i'm using it. putty + winscp = best choice

i don't run 2 ftpds concurrently, switch and try one by one. Sorry for mentioning 2 ftpd servers in my 1st post to make such confusion.

i'm using putty(client) + ssh/pico(server side) to edit files and find it inconvenent, if winSCP does overperform putty i'm more than willing to switch

just added the "RootLogin on" directive in the /etc/proftpd.conf and restarted the ftpd server but had no success logging in with user name "root" and root password.

i edited /etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts by changing a wheel user's uid and gid to 0 but then ftp login for that user failed.

i then tried editing some pureftpd conf files and looking for their documentation page but had no luck.

now i've rolled back every change i made not sure what can i do next

thanks anyways
    Last edited by lwknet; 03-20-2004 at 12:16 PM.

thanks all

i think i've partially solved the problem by using winSCP to ssh to root and act as an ftp "interface".

WINSCP + PUTTY last advice

You dont want to login FTP as root, you send your password in plaintext over the net. Bad bad bad!
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Just use SCP (SFTP), I recommend WinSCP3. It is practically FTP, and includes a command prompt. I love it. Gives you full / access.