I need loads of cheap bandwidth

Hi guys... You all seem like you know your stuff, so here's a question!

I run a site for a fairly successful radio DJ, who posts a lot of shows up in real audio format...

So.... we're regularly going over the 20gb per month limit of my current host, and are getting charged 15 per gb after that!

Surely there must be some cheaper hosting out there? I'd prefer the host to be based in the UK but I'm not that fussed (can i take out US hosting? I guess the exchange rate would make it pretty cheap at the moment).

I need asp/ms access support, but was considering keeping the site with my current host and just moving the audio files?

any ideas?

eeeek 15 per GB??? that is just crazy!

Post the budget and transfer per month you need, im sure i can dig around :-)

Good rule of thumb is to look for a host charging right around $1.00/GB for bandwidth. There are many many hosts who would probably be able to provide what you need at a reasonable price.

15/GB - ouch!
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Midphase.com has decent reputation and offers loads of bandwidth...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

15/GB - well I never

Who's charging that much?
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

just find one with "unmetered bandwidth"

Originally posted by dreampotion
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Originally posted by P-nut
    Double .

Anyways You must relize that bandwidth isn't getting any cheaper, as some threads have suggested it is actually going up a bit. Good luck and you might want to look into getting a VPS or Dedicated Server.

Originally posted by dreampotion
    never go with those. Some of they really dont charge additional fees for bandwith, but they limit your visitor's site download speed(to loooow speeds), some even put ur site down if you are using too much bandwith.
    [ www.wnportal.com ] From starters to experts, personal to enterprises, wnportal.com is for everyone! Try it yourself.

My host is great, I get 45gb bandwidth for $6 a month but then I paid 2 years up front. It's $10 if you pay monthly.

Originally posted by spacespider
    My host is great, I get 45gb bandwidth for $6 a month but then I paid 2 years up front. It's $10 if you pay monthly.
    And you lose $6 monthly if they are gone

Please make sure you upfront your payment with reputable host, or else you may face problem with fly-night host.

Hi,

I had the same problem, bought a 20GB bandwidth a month package and then they started charging $5 per GB overages. That was with CIHost, however they also offer cheap dedicated servers for only $29 a month so I took one and you get $50 GB bandwidth I think. The price is fantastic and the service generally excellent, although they seem to have a problem getting my faxes which has resulted in me being triple billed with a truly interminable wait to get my money back. I still love my server though, I don't know of a cheaper deidcated - though if someone knows please tell me.

--2nd post here, man this place is huge, makes a change from WebmasterWorld!

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    And you lose $6 monthly if they are gone

Please make sure you upfront your payment with reputable host, or else you may face problem with fly-night host.
    I don't think there will be a problem, I've been with them a year and am really happy with them and it's not one of those hosts that is run out of someones basement.