Thumbs down My Experience With XLHost Stay Away

I am still in need of a good IRC dedicated box but heres what happend

I purchase XLhost on March 16, 2004.

-$206.32 USD Mar. 16, 2004 Completed Details. So I sent them $206.32, they wanted money for this month and next month and I wanted the "fun class c"

So my box gets up the next day and such and I was very excited i thought this would be my permament place to start my business, so i start getting stuff up like my nameservers and everything else. There is a guy on MSN [email protected] who I am talking with and just asking things like okay, how do I control my IPs since you said I have dns authority and he just laughs at me and says you are funny and all sorts of rude stuff, it made me feel really bad i mean i thought i would get some sort of support so finally he just says okay paypal me more money and i will set the reverse ip file up for you to solve problems so i sent him another $20.00 hoping this would fix problems. it did kind of, now 3 out of 10 ips i had set up at the time resolved. the rest just would not resolve and then he says it takes 24 hours and i am just asking stuff like why did the first ips resolve and he was just a total rude support person and wouldnt answer anything. now secondly, both me and my other admin kept getting disconnected from the box from packet loss or something because we both had bncs set up on different ips as well and we kept getting disconnected from IRC on a small server we just use to talk to each other. how can i run a shell company if a connection cant be activate for more than 40 minutes without being disconnected or such. the next day xlhost site is down for about 2 hours and then it comes back up so i go back to work on the box setting up stuff and then it goes down *AGAIN*, I msg the guy on msn [email protected] and he says i resetted the Firewall and i am just thinking why cant you tell us in advance so i can save my config files. i mean my old isp staminus my box up steady for month+ without any loss and i could remain on my bnc idle for days and days and days. this place just turned out to be the worst place ever, on top of that i ask for a refund on march 19 and they are going to refund $139 because ipaid two months in advance. what makes me mad though is i paid more than $139 for next month and this box is useless this month because its not even up as im typing this! its just totally downtime.

sorry but i felt like i had to express my opinions with this horrible place, and i am still waiting for my refund and if I dont get the refund for next month at lleast i will be back here posting and telling about how they dont refund money period when they said they will. if you need a good place i recommend staminus.net, and sure not xlhost.

lets just hope i can get some money back from this $200 investment, *sigh*

thanks guys for listening, but to sum it all up, xlhost is rude, unstable, and much much more that i dont think im allowed to say on here

I don't really think its appropriate to get into an argument with you in a forum, however I believe perhaps your perception of what happened is a bit skewed and I would appreciate an opportunity to tell our side of it.

We charged you $20 to setup named on your box after hours, which isnt within the scope of our technical support. Secondly after we had setup your DNS server you installed plesk, and then blamed the fact that the DNS no longer worked on us, or perhaps "hackers". We then reconfigured your dns server appropriately, (no charge this time) and set you merrily on your way.

It is fine for you to request a refund from us, but blatently making up stories about us isnt appreciated. What you requested from us was "At least a refund for next month" which is $139.00. A refund of $139.00 will be processed on Monday when we run our queue in the morning.

I appreciate you giving us a try, and Im sorry it didnt work out as you had expected.

-Drew
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

nixboxen,

Seems like you or your company is never at fault. What about the network problems everyone has been talking about?

I always see bad things being said about xlhosts and I beleive they have the right to express themself in any forum they would like.

Skewed?

First of all thanks for the profesional response on here I do appreciate it and you seem like a nice guy, and thanks for the refund Im looking forward to it, HOWEVER..

you seem like a totally different person here, on msn you were laughing and saying "dude your doing it wrong" ... heh dude, that is kind of funny

Anyway, I am not skewing anything I am just telling the truth.

I have created an account on the box, set up a bnc or another program whatever you want, the box login will only work half of the time I guarntee it and you will lose so many packets, everyone try it out.

SSH IP: 209.190.116.2
    Username: system
    Password: webhostingtalk

Watch the packets drop, watch the box not work half of the time, its just insane crazy man, you guys really need to fix your network. If you can't ssh to that IP then guess what, their internet is down *again*

if you get a invalid password let me know, means someone changed it and ill add you your own account until the end of month since they wont give me a refund for this month ill just open it up publicly and show it doens't work good for me thats why i am deciding i am moving away from xlhost.

Thank you anyway and looking forward for that refund money on Monday.

cheers

Originally posted by dk2
    nixboxen,

Seems like you or your company is never at fault. What about the network problems everyone has been talking about?
    Ah, you are one step faster

But yeah, I've read so many complaints in WHT in just 1 month. It can't be individual problem when there are several complaints around.

Hmm,

Packet loss and Ping Inconsistency

--- mtxis.net ping statistics ---
    47 packets transmitted, 46 received, 2% packet loss, time 46439ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 59.653/124.632/192.175/43.650 ms
    [[email protected] system]$

The Ping Command runs like a yoyo
    ^_^

Yes, we have been having issues with the IRC portion of the network. Again it is not indicative of the rest of our network, and they carry completely different SLAs. I again appologize for the issues you are having.

Thanks,
    -Drew
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

you should've read *our* posts about XLhost prior to your purchace.
    PS. Staminus is *way* up there in terms of services, reliability and support, these guys are worse than FDC if you want a comparison.
    Ben S.

Re: Skewed?

Originally posted by big58151

you seem like a totally different person here, on msn you were laughing and saying "dude your doing it wrong" ... heh dude, that is kind of funny
    Thats One reason i didn't go with them. Apparently this guy has many faces.
    Ben S.

Originally posted by nixboxen
    Yes, we have been having issues with the IRC portion of the network. Again it is not indicative of the rest of our network, and they carry completely different SLAs. I again appologize for the issues you are having.

Thanks,
    -Drew
    Though I have not had an experience as bad as this, I must say that I have seen first hand the packet loss. I hate to say it, but as far as I know.... I was NOT on the "IRC portion" of the network. If I was, I had not requested it, and I wish the option to be moved had been presented before it was too late.

Things seem to be somewhat better currently, but it's too little too late for the situation I was in.

--- 209.190.116.2 ping statistics ---
    128814 packets transmitted, 128662 received, 0% loss, time 1640181ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 33.416/90.333/1912.289/128.854 ms, pipe 143, ipg/ewma 12.733/233.851 ms

0.1% packetloss which is good, but the pings are horrible and fluctuate.

traceroute to 209.190.116.2 (209.190.116.2), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 ge-6-0-core.scr1.hostnoc.net (66.96.192.1) 0.296 ms 0.418 ms 0.479 ms
    2 66.197.191.46 (66.197.191.46) 7.002 ms 7.110 ms 6.984 ms
    3 fe12-0.chr1.philadelphia-pa.us.xo.net (66.236.204.9) 11.984 ms 12.002 ms 11.982 ms
    4 p4-3-0.MAR1.Philadelphia-PA.us.xo.net (207.88.87.41) 11.982 ms 12.060 ms 11.970 ms
    5 p5-1-0-1.RAR1.Washington-DC.us.xo.net (65.106.3.149) 12.483 ms 12.048 ms 11.973 ms
    6 p1-0-0.MAR1.Columbus-OH.us.xo.net (65.106.3.174) 23.977 ms 24.040 ms 23.986 ms
    7 p0-0.CHR1.Columbus-OH.us.xo.net (207.88.84.138) 23.971 ms 24.048 ms 23.949 ms
    8 66.237.112.18.ptr.us.xo.net (66.237.112.18) 28.981 ms 24.484 ms 24.481 ms
    9 209.51.192.17 (209.51.192.17) 103.977 ms 119.049 ms 119.453 ms
    10 206.222.4.10 (206.222.4.10) 115.976 ms 104.584 ms 1719.399 ms
    11 ns1.shellhq.net (209.190.116.2) 1248.068 ms 74.914 ms 81.955 ms

- Matt

The IRC segment at XLHost is still what you might say as "Beta". There has been a lot of firewall issues. Hardware has come and gone and the problem still remains. People are working on the issues daily, as obviously, it cannot be ignored. Drew is a good guy, he does not get rude at all unless you do in-fact charge him with tasks that are out of the boundaries of "unmanged" service.

Originally posted by HstCreations
    The IRC segment at XLHost is still what you might say as "Beta". There has been a lot of firewall issues. Hardware has come and gone and the problem still remains. People are working on the issues daily, as obviously, it cannot be ignored. Drew is a good guy, he does not get rude at all unless you do in-fact charge him with tasks that are out of the boundaries of "unmanged" service.
    The way he is running his irc network is just wrong.. blocking ports is *not* going to protect you from ddos attacks and a firewall isnt enough.
    Ben S.