Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by domainwala
    The form suitable for you really depends on your budget... I personally feel that you should use a mix of different methods.. Many have been already discussed here...
    I would like to suggest that you also spent some time on Brand Promotion. A good brand sells itself... You can start from your existing customer.Once they believe in your brand they will refer others to it.. people really love sharing about good brands...

You can send personalised gifts to existing value customers, distribute some CDs or othergifts etc with your brand imprinted on it... you can be really innovative.

Also I think Brand Building doesnt brings immediate gains but helps in long run
    This is very true , i have a mate who owns a webhosting company .

He brought 500gb traffic to give away to his customers .

He got 62 new customers from it !!!
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks, these are all excellent suggestions. I am considering sending promotional items when I establish a larger customer base, but I will be careful because I don't want to send my customers junk that they don't want. (like AOL) I am reluctant to give anything away for free, as this tends to attract spammers, hackers, frauds, etc.
    On a slightly different note, I've been looking at hosting directories. I recall a comment on this thread that said that directories are not a very effective method of advertising. What is everyone's experience with that?
    Thanks

--Patrick
    http://entityhosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

The best form of advertising has got to be word of mouth.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: best form of advertising

Originally posted by freerick
    I am looking for the best way to advertise my hosting company, entityhosting.com.
    I had bad experiences with Google AdWords, it seems to have a high learning curve. I would appreciate to hear your experiences with various form of advertising and see what worked best for you.
    Thanks
    --Patrick
    Have you tried hostsubmit.com or hostpromote.com?
    Gladhost.com
    Fantastico, Cpanel and Linux Hosting.
    We specialize in website moving, so if you want to move to us we will help you move like a mover.
    Confucius says, "spend your money wisely, sign up with Gladhost.com."
      0 Not allowed!

A top Banner @ hotmail, yahoo and my website.

Depends on where you / your Business is located. I would never advertise in a local newspaper.
    When everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough — Mario Andretti, Racer
      0 Not allowed!

I checked out hostsubmit.com and it seems like they can save me a lot of time submitting my listing to various directories. Has anyone had experience with them? Their web site looks rather, shall I say, rudimentary, and I'm not sure if the service they provide is effective.
    Thanks,

--Patrick

<setup your signature in your profile instead of posting it>
    Last edited by choon; 03-22-2004 at 04:19 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

hostsubmit.com is another company of cheaters. Don't trust them.
      0 Not allowed!

hostsubmit.com - not a very pleasant website indeed.
    IMHO hosting directories are not the best way to go. But if you really want to try it, a long list of directories is here: http://www.hostdirs.com
      0 Not allowed!

In-Theater advertising works well, but there's some things you should understand about it.

(For the record: My company is the second largest producer of in-theater digital ads on the West Coast as of Q4 2003)

For $350 a month you're probably getting a rotating slide ad, that's a Good Thing(tm). I'd say go for it.

There is however an alternative that would not work as well for you. Many major theaters have switched to a digital pre-trailer system, you've probably seen them. They basically play TV commercials before the movies. That's the stuff my company produces.

In any event, if you're buying slides in that configuration, you're either going to get ripped off or it's going to be out of your price range.

Cheap "slides" for digital-commercial-enabled theaters will only get played 15 minutes or more (on average) away from the beginning of the film. Nobody is going to see them, don't bother.

Expensive slides might play right up near the beginning of the film, but they'll cost you a pretty penny.

If you're looking to spend five or ten grand, we can get you excellent placement across several regions in many theaters. If you're not looking to spend that much, stay away from digital in-theater advertising, and stick to theaters with an old school slide system. With a slide system, you'll get more exposure. Your slide has the same chance of playing right before the film as the rest of the slides do, so you might be the last slide people see once the theater is packed and the film is about to start, a privilege which comes at a high premium in the digital in-theater commercial world.

Also I wanted to mention in this post that you might be interested in local TV advertising. On Tuesday of this week, we're going to post a new offer to the WHT forums that we've never tried before. Basically, we're going to be offering commercial production and placement services at a price that will be affordable for smaller hosting companies.

For instance, you might spend $350 at the theater and get maybe thirty thousand viewers (realistically). But for three or four thousand dollars, not including production, we can get you a week or more worth of :30 second spots on a major television show, like Letterman, Leno, Conan, etc. This would reflect several hundred thousand viewers at least, possibly many more, depending on the market.

Typically, people take companies who can afford to advertise on television much more seriously than those who they see in a random banner ad and have never heard of. It's a way of adding significant credibility very quickly. The dollars spent advertising on TV create significant value, if they didn't, you wouldn't see everyone who can afford it advertising on television. It always works, always has.

Additionally, we're going to be offering "stock" style commercials, where we'll be putting together commercials we can modify slightly and brand with a hosting company's name, and sell very inexpensively, allowing smaller companies to get on the air affordably.

The less expensive commercials will be computerized with no live actors, our more expensive commercials are shot with full film crews on 35mm film and are very high-end. Nothing we make is "used-car-lot", we do great work.

I won't want to get too much into it as this isn't the proper forum, but I'll mention that much since this is an advertising query thread. More details coming Tuesday, or you can email me for more info.

<Site link removed>

-Matthew Lewis

<setup your signature in your profile instead of posting it>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 03-22-2004 at 06:20 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Nice post AngelValley. You have some good information.
    Primal Blue Software, Inc.
    primalblue.com
      0 Not allowed!

Nice post AngelValley. You have some good information.
    Very true. (some things are not just informational though )
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Very true. (some things are not just informational though )
    I know, I thought about that too. But I felt that it was an appropriate post due to the context of the thread. The poster was interested in detailed information on marketing his company, and our specific specialty (in-theater advertising) came up. I felt that although some of the information I was posting was directly related to my business, it was completely relevant to his question and I was probably the most qualified person on the board to provide information on the subject. Following up with info on possible TV advertising was simply providing him with an alternative option, I kept the details to a minimum to be as fair as possible.

I also did provide a very unbiased commentary on the in-theater advertising, which if anything was an anti-advertisement for my business, considering that I recommended against using my services in his case.

But thank you both for the compliment.
      0 Not allowed!

make sure you are spidered by the major engines
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for you input, angelvalley. I am glad to hear from someone who is familiar with the industry. As far as search engine inclusion goes, I have my doubts as to whether or not that will bring in a lot of customers, because unless you have been in business for years and you have a lot of incoming links, you're not going to be in the top results for any search terms.
    What about running in the featured categories of major web hosting directories though? Has anyone had experience with this?
    Thanks

--Patrick
    http://entityhosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12