Very Unprofessional

Greetings,

One of our staff was going through the webalizer stats and this got her attention:
    www.hostz.biz

Feel free to compare it with the orginal website:
    www.micfo.com

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com

Is it a template monster template?

Greetings,

Not at all. Design was made in house by our own designers. We have contacted ThePlanet.com which is hosting this box.

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Last edited by Amir; 03-19-2004 at 06:37 PM.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

Very Unprofessional
    It's not just that, it's illegal too. Get them!
    Lately there have been quite a few rips presented on this forum. All obvius cases BTW. Is the situation getting out of hand with this I'm starting to wonder?
    Good luck Amir!

One of the most blatant rip offs I have seen.

You should submit that to:

pirated-sites.com
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces

Greetings,

pirated-sites.com is an interesting website. Just submitted, but that won't help. I guess only ThePlanet.com can take care of this issue in this case.

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

Re: Very Unprofessional

Originally posted by Amir
    Greetings,

Feel free to compare it with the orginal website:
    www.micfo.com
    The pictures, of course, came from stock photo and have web use license, right?
    www.zubrcom.net | Tel: 1-877-982-7266 / 1-267-298-3232 | [email protected][email protected]
    Hosting, VPS, Servers, Unmetered 10, 100 and Gigabit servers - Colocation - Engineering services
    "Elegant solutions to complex problems in the Internet-centric world"

How do you know it's stock photo zubrcom?

I'm pretty sure that even if they are Amir and Co. know all about copyright laws.

I hope you get these guys shut down soon Amir. Unprofessional is to kind a word. Thief would be closer to the truth.

A COPY

Originally posted by *******
    A COPY
    Eh, please use more the 5 characters on a post.

On a side note, more and more hosting companies are having their designs ripped of by fly by night companies. Fly by night companies do this because its cheaper then buying a template from TM or anywhere else and publicity won't be that bad since they only last 1-3 days.

Amir, are you from the Croatia region? Anyway I'd suggest you find out where they are located, e-mail them kindly asking to take it down, if they do not respond e-mail them again a little more harsh, and if they still do not reply, get a lawyer to send them an e-mail.

Goodluck!
    - 7de5igns

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Lately there have been quite a few rips presented on this forum. All obvius cases BTW. Is the situation getting out of hand with this I'm starting to wonder?
    As someone in the same position right now, you got that right!

However, you can't help but laugh at their business ethics by checking out their nameservers:

NS1.LAZINESS.BIZ
    NS2.LAZINESS.BIZ
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

I had a ripoff too one time!

it is very lame, but nothing you can do about

Originally posted by desmond

but nothing you can do about
    Not true. Depends on the amount of time and effort you want to put into it.

Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

Originally posted by desmond
    I had a ripoff too one time!

it is very lame, but nothing you can do about
    Of course there is something you can do about it.
    You can report it to his upstream provider, and if that doesn't work you can have a lawyer issue a cease and decist order.

Some funny things I noticed about hostz.biz is that they have encrypted their html to protect others from stealing their carefully stolen design

I unencoded the page and noticed that even though they have changed the image filenames, they are still have code for preloading original micfo images like images/whymicfohi.gif

copyright.gov gives a lot of information related to copyright issues. Since you seem to be from Dubai you may need to contact your local law firm on what best can be done

even the following resources may be of some help
    legalname.com/copyright.php
    keytlaw.com/Copyrights/Register.htm
    law.freeadvice.com/intellectual_property/copyright_law/
    creativerights.com

best first step would be to contact hostz.biz

Since there are also chances that they contacted a design/development firm for developing their site who stole your design without their knowledge

It makes you wonder why people rip sites as they always get caught and it's always on a public forum too

Greetings,

Thank you everyone for the inputs and your supports. Wish their provider was EV1servers due to the fact that folks at EV1 are very strickt on the AUP/TOU and they could've taken the server off-line shortly after they would've received my e-mail. Still no words from The Planet.

Blue27, thanks for comments and supports.

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

Is this possible to protect Web site from such rip offs?
    Is this technically possible?

Originally posted by Oleks
    Is this possible to protect Web site from such rip offs?
    Is this technically possible?
    Most likely when it is on 127.0.0.1

Even this isn’t guaranteed.

Threaten "The Planet" that you will right what has happened on all the public forums. Also send "the Planet" a notice because they are serving copyrighted material. Just call up the RIAA I am sure they would love to sue them. LOL

How about using just a tiny bit of professional courtesy and contacting their host, klooki.com, first? Wouldn't you prefer someone came to you and asked you to do the right thing before going over your head to your upstream to complain? Especially with the way TP supposedly pulls multiple boxes and sends them to the FBI.

Maybe you feel differently, but klooki deserves a chance to rectify the problem themselves.

I've had an experience like this before too, another web host copied our site over word for word, and just changed out Frozen Web Hosting for their company name. They did a poor job though, forgot the grab the CSS files so the page looked like crap, and they even missed a few "Frozen Web Hosting" tags on the order and support page. We hounded them and they eventually caved. Go after them Amir!
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Wow, I hate when people copy off of other sites.

I am no litigator, but would the planet take action on this case simply based on your email Amir?

I think you should send a C&D letter first thing Monday AM.

Yes, it appears to be a violation of Copy. However, I am not so sure a upstream would take action without a C&D letter.
    Bill Kish
    TotalChoice Hosting
    Hosting over 50,000 clients since 2000
    http://www.totalchoicehosting.com

Greetings,

Andrew... We have already contacted the host and themselfs, however no action was made at their end, thus this led us to conact the DC.

Bill, we attached the copyright and other necessary information to theplanet.com in order to proof our statements. Hopefully they'll look into it further.

Thank you all for suggestions/comments.

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

26. That would outrage me! I can't belieive they would do that

I designed a hosting site and it ended up on a free template site where it had been downloaded over 5,000 times. The dishonesty in this world is discouraging.

Originally posted by Amir
    Greetings,

Andrew... We have already contacted the host and themselfs, however no action was made at their end, thus this led us to conact the DC.

Bill, we attached the copyright and other necessary information to theplanet.com in order to proof our statements. Hopefully they'll look into it further.

Thank you all for suggestions/comments.

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Hi

contact me at [email protected]

Would like to know when exactly you contacted us on this matter?

We have no record of you contacting us on this matter by

email, msn, icq, aim, fax, helpdesk

As you can see we have several methods of you getting in touch with us.

If you DONT contact us then we dont know of the problem. Therefore we cannot do anything about it. After viewing the two sites this morning we immediatly suspended the users site pending investigation.

Our stance on matters such as this is it gets deleted. No if's No Buts....Deleted - and if the user tries it again then we terminate their account. Obviously there are occassions when matters are sorted out amicably or someone has a issue with a template but we take no prisoners...we delete first and ask questions later.

We let users that are first time offenders have a 2nd chance and give them a strict lesson in copyright law....usually sending them to this site

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Which covers most things so they are aware of what they can and cannot do.

We are strict on copyright theft no matter how it is done and we also have clients that pay us to go head hunting for people stealing items, hotlinking etc.

So if you have a problem with a client of ours please contact us so we can resolve the matter quickly for all parties involved. We are here to help!
    ~~klooki NET~~
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

Greetings klooki,

Thank you so much for your prompt action. It is very refreshing to have someone as professional as yourself respond in such as way.

You and your company's dedication is commendable.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

For your information ive just spoken to the users Reseller and they have disabled all their domains until they can explain their actions.

If you ever have any further problems then you know how to reach us
    ~~klooki NET~~
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)