Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Which direction does your toilet swirl?

Hello All,

You're going to find this one a tad odd! Which direction does your toilet AND sink flow?

Please post a picture of your toilet while flushing AND a picture of your sink emptying. Please also include your location and if you know, the side of the equator you are on and the direction it is flowing.

I want to see if on the other side of the equator the water flows clockwise (I am in N. Equator) without being set in motion ahead of time.

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza
    CCF Web Hosting - Where Customers Come First!
    Phone: 1.630.885.9009 | Email: david(a)ccfhosting.com
    MSN: dgarza(a)ccfhosting.com | AIM: CCF DGarza | ICQ: 51140109

Northern Hemisphere: Clockwise
    Southern Hemisphere: Anti-Clockwise
    On the Equator: Straight Down

This is already known .
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

too much time in your hands, huh?

i did try to observe that on shower when i was ten or something .. and did have a look on it a few times both on north and south side of equador.

result: RANDOM direction.
    gia

Edited, You are serious....
    Good Day
    Last edited by rileez; 03-13-2004 at 08:00 PM.
    Dave

I guess somebody needs to watch the simpsons.

HL

LOL! Com'n, I'm serious! I've gotta see it for myself. Many people say it does and many say it doesn't.

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza

Oh my, what things that get posted to this mboard!

Sometimes it's random. Maybe what we need is a network called Toilet Television!
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

LOL! I have posted very *helpful things*, such as today's post.

Well, this was nice for a good laugh. I got a pretty good responce though LOL!

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza

What we really need is ToiletVision! It would revolutionize the toilet industry allow spectators to view toilets around the world.

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza

I saw an ad for a toilet that cleans your butt, auto flushes, and makes noise.. I thought it was one of thoes "joke parody ads" but realized it was real...

they do have thoes in japan, you know.

LOL, I've never heard so many potty mouths in my life. You all should be assamed!

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza

Anyone hear that they did a test and found that the insides of a computer has 400x more bacteria in it then a public toilet has? http://www.themercury.news.com.au/co...55E401,00.html
    Don't look for a way out.

Originally posted by N9ne
    Northern Hemisphere: Clockwise
    Southern Hemisphere: Anti-Clockwise
    On the Equator: Straight Down

This is already known .
    Actually you have it back the front. If it works at all it is Clockwise in the SOUTHER Hemisphere.

The Coriolis force does influence long-lasting vortices.

Hurricane Andrew
    On the scale of hurricanes and large mid-latitude storms, the Coriolis force causes the air to rotate around a low pressure center in a cyclonic direction. Indeed, the term cyclonic not only means that the fluid (air or water) rotates in the same direction as the underlying Earth, but also that the rotation of the fluid is due to the rotation of the Earth. Thus, the air flowing around a hurricane spins counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere (as does the Earth, itself). In both hemispheres, this rotation is deemed cyclonic. If the Earth did not rotate, the air would flow directly in towards the low pressure center, but on a spinning Earth, the Coriolis force causes that air to be deviated with the result that it travels around the low pressure center.

In the accompanying picture of the Caribbean, one can see the cyclonically spiraling clouds of Hurricane Andrew (at the mouth of the Mississippi) and of another vortex in the Atlantic.

But, the Coriolis force is very small, indeed.

water draining in the supposedly wrong way
    Compared to the rotations that one usually sees (tires on a travelling automobile, a compact disc playing music, or a draining sink), the rotation of the Earth is very small: only one rotation per day. The water in a sink might make a rotation in a few seconds and so have a rotation rate ten thousand times higher than that of the Earth. It should not be surprising, therefore, to learn that the Coriolis force is orders of magnitude smaller than any of the forces involved in these everyday spinning things. The Coriolis force is so small, that it plays no role in determining the direction of rotation of a draining sink anymore than it does the direction of a spinning CD.

The direction of rotation of a draining sink is determined by the way it was filled, or by vortices introduced while washing. The magnitude of these rotations may be small, but they are nevertheless gargantuan by comparison to the rotation of the Earth. I decided to include a picture of a draining sink, and the first one I tried in my house was found to drain clockwise (the opposite of what the silly assertions would have it do here in the northern hemisphere). This direction was determined entirely by the way the tap filled the sink. The direction of rotation of a draining toilet is determined by the way the water just under the rim is squirted into the bowl when it is flushed.

Is it possible to detect the Earth’s rotation in a draining sink?

Yes, but it is very difficult. Because the Coriolis force is so small, one must go to extraordinary lengths to detect it. But, it has been done. You cannot use an ordinary sink for it lacks the requisite circular symmetry: its oval shape and off-center drain render any results suspect. Those who have succeeded used a smooth pan of about one meter in diameter with a very small hole in the center. A stopper (which could be removed from below so as to not introduce any spurious motion) blocked the hole while the pan was being filled with water. The water was then allowed to sit undisturbed for perhaps a week to let all of the motion die out which was introduced during filling. Then, the stopper was removed (from below). Because the hole was very small, the pan drained slowly indeed. This was necessary, because it takes hours before the tiny Coriolis force could develop sufficient deviation in the draining water for it to produce a circular flow. With these procedures, it was found that the rotation was always cyclonic.

Why do teachers claim that a draining sink reflects the rotation of the Earth?

A surprisingly large number of my undergraduate students tell me that their high-school teachers told them that sinks drain in opposite directions in the two hemispheres owing to the rotation of the Earth. Why would a teacher offer such garbage to students when it is so easy to check. A trip to the school washroom (let alone the ones at home) will reveal drainage in both directions (which would certainly require the equator to assume a tortuous track through the countryside).

Is knowledge just a bunch of abstractions to be memorized with no recourse to the relevance of everyday experience?

Sigh... I don’t know why teachers do this. I can but assume that those who do so just never feel any need to wash their hands --- or their minds.

Incompetence from those we trust

Incompetence from PBS (USA)

Fakery of the first water (so to speak).
    There are charlatans operating at a tourist trap in Nanyuki, Kenya. In this little town, located right on the equator, a local mountebank works for tips as he glibly cons busloads of tourists into believing that the rotation of the Earth causes water draining from a container to spin clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere. (Yes, you read that correctly, the charlatan fakes it backwards. You would think that if he were going to sucker people, he would at least get his directions the same as what really happens in large weather systems.)

This man’s nonsense was captured (and endorsed) by Michael Palin in one episode of his BBC TV special, From Pole to Pole, which is often aired on PBS. The presentation went as follows:

faker:

This is the northern hemisphere (gesturing to his left), and this is the southern hemisphere (gesturing to his right). If you drain a sink when you’re on the northern side of the equator, and you watch the water as it drains, you will see that the water always rotates clockwise [sic]. (Shot of a pan with water draining clockwise. Floating match sticks are used to make the motion easier to see.) This phenomenon is caused by the rotation of the Earth. The effect becomes stronger according to how far you move to the north or to the south and becomes weaker according to how close you go towards the line [the equator]. So that’s why we have to give some distance from the equator so that the rotation can be noticeable.

Palin:

This is known as the Coriolis effect and Peter McLeary has given this same lecture every day for the last six years. It’s delivered in the burnt out shell of an old hotel. The equator used to run through the middle of the bar. I bet they were always floating match sticks in the middle of the beer. (The faker has been carrying his pan and water about ten meters to the south of the spot marking the equator, and turns to face the audience.)

faker:

So, this changes to counter-clockwise [sic] indicating that now we are on [sic] the southern hemisphere. (Shot of the water in the pan draining counter-clockwise.)

(Transition to a scene where the faker is placing the water-filled pan directly on the equatorial marker.) So, now we are right on the equator, and as we drain the water, you’ll see there will be no rotation. It just drains straight down. And that’s how we prove that we are right on the equator. (Water draining with no apparent rotation.)

Palin:

It does work.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Hehehe,i just lookes at mine

Toilet: Counter-Clockwise
    Sink: Clockwise

I live in northeast USA

The Dude

Lol Now use your phone to call people around the world and ask them! It shouldn't cost too much money.

Originally posted by The Dude_
    Hehehe,i just lookes at mine

Toilet: Counter-Clockwise
    Sink: Clockwise

I live in northeast USA

The Dude
    You obviously have a faulty Sink. I suggest you have it replaced and Sue them for mental and physical stress. As the earth spins in an Anti-clockwise direction in the noerthern hemisphere and your sink is meant to drain in a anticlockwise direction it is obviously faulty and can be very harmful to any person observing this phenomina. It can cause you to become disorientated and may lead to strange behaviour including blackouts and posting stupid threads.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

I'm in AUS and I just checked my toilet. It seems to swirl anti-clockwise but my toilet doesn't seem to swirl much, I would view it more as an explosion with water going both ways, *sigh* I have never been so confused by a toilet.

Originally posted by RDX Media
    Anyone hear that they did a test and found that the insides of a computer has 400x more bacteria in it then a public toilet has? http://www.themercury.news.com.au/co...55E401,00.html
    well didn't you know that windows has a lot of BUGS. Get it? Bacteria, germs, bugs....hahaha.....*realizes joke is not funny*......

This is a funny thread,i bet the thread starter is sitting back laughing like crazy!!!

The Dude

Hey! This is fun! Gotta admit it. You don't see many posts like this! Check your sink, something that doesn't have much of a swirl. Toilets seem to be streamed line to swirl anticlock wise.

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza

I learn new things on WHT daily.

Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Just wait for my next post... What does lying naked in the snow feal like? :-D

Thanks and God Bless!
    David Garza

Wow, you know a LOT, but you didn't know that your pictures wouldn't be printed. Oh and Palin believing some sheister isn't incompetence, it's gullibility.

A small point. But crucial to life on this planet.

Originally posted by CCF Hosting
    Just wait for my next post... What does lying naked in the snow feal like? :-D

Thanks and God Bless!
    I know someone who has done this,they said its relaxing and releases alot of tension............

The Dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast