Unhappy Build Failed on Raq1

Hi,

I'm new to the world of Cobalt Raq servers, however I have just managed to get hold of one and I'm having a lot of problems.

The Cobalt Raq is a Raq 1 and I'm currently attempting to install the Operating System/Apache (the Raq was delivered with all of it's data deleted).

I have used the OS Restore disk, which was sent with the Raq.

The OS Restore is being completed via a net boot (Raq plugged directly into a Router, the OS Restore is in a workstation plugged into the same Router).

The Raq can see the workstation and the LCD screen asks for a configuration. At this point I select the Configuration 'RAQ'.

The software begins to install and the disk is partitioned.

However, once the software has installed the LCD screen updates to say 'Finishing Build'... Great, up until 'BUILD FAILED' appears. :bawling

I'm desperately seeking answers, am I doing something wrong (as I suspect). Do I have the correct configuration selected (i.e. RAQ).

Any help that could be given, would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know, what to do - at this point.

Stefan.

The OS restore cd is for a RaQ1 right? The Raq 3/4 OS cd will not work as they are x86 based, and the Raq1/2 is a MIPS processor.
    Paradox Web Hosting - [email protected]
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

Raq Build Issue

I have downloaded the OS Restore for the RAQ2 and it starts to install, however it resets and then doesn't do anything.

I'm really not sure, what to do.

Could it be a broken HDD?

Try inserting another Hard Drive?

Did you run a checksum and compare it to ensure your download wasn't corrupted ?

Going to Try on the RAQ

I'm going to try, the following - on Monday:

1) The workstation supporting the RAQ during the OS Restore, currently has a 10MB network card. I'm going to upgrade this to 100MB NIC. Maybe there's a bottleneck between the router and the RAQ.

2) I'm going to use a patch cable to complete the OS Restore.

2) If necessary, I will look at replacing the hard disk. Can somebody tell me, are the RAQ's SCSI or IDE. I would imagine they are probably SCSI. Can I purchase a larger SCSI drive and if so, should I purchase a specific HDD from a specific manufacturer?

I don't think apart from the above, there's much more I could possibly do.

Sorry for all of these questions.

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Re: Going to Try on the RAQ

Originally posted by StefanBarry

2) If necessary, I will look at replacing the hard disk. Can somebody tell me, are the RAQ's SCSI or IDE. I would imagine they are probably SCSI. Can I purchase a larger SCSI drive and if so, should I purchase a specific HDD from a specific manufacturer?
    They are IDE. IF they were SCSI, the Raq's wouldn't have been as inexpensive $$ as they were

Also, try hooking a terminal to the comms port of the Raq to follow what is happening. It may give you some useful info.

Mark
    --

http://www.1stserv.com
    Plesk Platinum Partners