Choosing a new host

Hi everybody,

I have been reading through forums trying to find the answers to some questions I have when I realized I might as well just post since there is so much here (very good) that stuff can sometimes be hard to find.

Anyway, I have been using a reseller account for the last ten months from a company that shall remain unnamed. They used to be very good with good support, but they changed hands and have gone downhill ever since. Two days ago I had about 6 hours of downtime and when their helpdesk (which was down with my sites) came back online and I submitted a ticket, the guy proceeded to tell me that they were never down and that the server had been running for over 20 days straight.

(To his credit, here is what happened: I could access my sites via their IP addresses, but not their domain names. It seems like that would be a DNS problem. Does anybody know why this would happen?).

So my sites came back online, but the yesterday I could no longer access WebHost Manager or cPanel. When I went to I got a 500 Internal Server error. I got the same thing when I went to When I went to it popped up the login, but then resulted in a blank screen after redirecting.

At the same time, I have not been able to send or receive e-mails for any of my sites. This is an odd error, because I use MS Outlook and when my site is down it generates a host not found error when I try to check my e-mail. Right now, however, it thinks it is sending and receiving perfectly (no errors), but nothing is getting through out or in.

I have sent the owner three e-mails and he hasn't responded to any of them yet. The only thing I have heard from him was his first response that the server was up (of course it was now that I could accesss the helpdesk) and a follow up to say that no one else had complained.

So I am looking for a new host. I will probably just go for a dedicated or vps with a friend to help pay for it.

I am looking at and Can anyone tell me about these hosts, whether they are as good as they seem? What is their uptime like, and do they have good support?

Your help is appreciated.

If your going to go for a Dedicated Server, go for The Planet/ServerMatrix, or one of their resellers.