Thread: Down to 3

Question Down to 3

Hello everyone this is my first time here and now need your help after reading many posts about these hosts.

I have found these 3 web host to have recieved many good reviews and need help in picking one. Im plan on using dreamweaver and flash in my site and would like to be able to have files for download as well as streaming video later on. Which host does everyone recomend i use. I am still pretty new to webbuilding and as I am a student in Uni i need to go with under $10/mo plans.

dreamhost.com
    ultramatrix.net
    lunarpages.com

Thanks

Greetings,

You wont go wrong by signing up with Lunarpages.com. They are doing pretty good and rarely you find any sort of complain about their services.

Good luck.

Bests,
    Amir Golestan
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com

There are many different hosts that offer quality packages at under $10 a month. Sometimes you - 'Get what you pay for,' and sometimes you just run into a great company who watches their expenses. Make sure you talk with a rep., and ask them some questions before you commit.

FYI, UltraMatrix's rep was suspended from the forums.

You can read customer reviews of DreamHost and LunarPages at WebHostingRatings:

http://www.webhostingratings.com/plans/DreamHost.html
    http://www.webhostingratings.com/pla...pages_com.html

FYI, UltraMatrix's rep was suspended from the forums.
    I noticed that too but I have no idea why it happened.

Dorth, you could try and spend some time at their support forums if they have one and see how they deal with problems and how their customers feel about the service. Lunarpages has such forums at lunarforums.com if I'm not mistaking.

Hi,

Last week I was host shopping again and looked at dreamhost.com and lunarpages.com, among others. I don't know of ultramatrix.net.

Just something to note about their plans, neither meant to be positive or negative, just helpful.

lunarpages.com - They don't provide ssh or telnet access.

dreamhost.com - They count your mysql database queries.
    Something I haven't seen many places.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Both hosts have a great reputation, it may be a choice based on features. Good luck.

They don't provide ssh or telnet access.
    Actually that's not so unheard of... For security reasons many hosts don't provide SSH...

I have several sites at LunarPages and have no complaints. Note that you are allowed only one FTP user on the low priced plan, although if you use FrontPage you can set up additional FrontPage users with authoring rights. The additional users won't have full FTP rights, however.

Originally posted by Rick_E
    I have several sites at LunarPages and have no complaints. Note that you are allowed only one FTP user on the low priced plan, although if you use FrontPage you can set up additional FrontPage users with authoring rights. The additional users won't have full FTP rights, however.
    does this mean only one person would be able to upload content to the server?

Well, not if you gave other people your user/pass.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Not using FrontPage, there is one FTP username and password, however many people can use the same username and password and FTP to the site. You would need to trust them totally since they have access to the entire site.

If a host allows multiple FTP users, you can usually create an FTP user and give him access to only one specific folder, not the entire site.

Depending on your situation this may or may not be an issue.

i was using cutsome package with ultramatrix net it was pretty cool. they cutsome the account the way i want it. you probly can ask them to do you a cutsome package as well. Right now i am using reseller package arleady coz i need so much bandwith

Originally posted by Drache
    i was using cutsome package with ultramatrix net it was pretty cool. they cutsome the account the way i want it. you probly can ask them to do you a cutsome package as well. Right now i am using reseller package arleady coz i need so much bandwith
    Pretty much anyone will create a custom package for you. You just have to say pretty please, and ask them.

Originally posted by lotsaram
    dreamhost.com - They count your mysql database queries.
    Something I haven't seen many places.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Both hosts have a great reputation, it may be a choice based on features. Good luck.
    Just correcting you since you're wrong!

We dropped the "conuery" db usage counting several months ago on all our plans.

lunarpages is great. they have toll free number support, a great forums with lots of help. Your request could be answered quickly
    In fact, you hardly find any complains about them.

However, the only thing is that they give you only 1 ftp account which is your main one, and 1 database. If you want to get more of these, you have to purchase which adds few bucks to your monthly payment.

since you are willing to pay around $10, you must have no problem then.

I personally like lunarpages but the price is a bit high for me at this point

Do most other site hosts offer more than one ftp account?

I think most hosts offer more than one FTP account.