Backup hosting accounts?

I remembered reading in the offers forum a fairly long time ago of hosts offering backup-ready hosting account where you can basically setup your data to be backuped to. The service works in such a way that you can do the backup even if your accounts are from 2 different hosts. It relies on cron jobs and some linux-based application to run, but my memory fails me at this moment.

Question is - does anyone know of any such hosts, and if so, would you be so kind as to give some recommendations?

Security and reliability are my 2 main concerns - I certainly don't want my data to be intercepted while it is being backuped each time

The service works in such a way that you can do the backup even if your accounts are from 2 different hosts. It relies on cron jobs and some linux-based application to run, but my memory fails me at this moment.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. All you need is an offsite FTP account where you can set your backups to be FTP'd to - nothing fancy needed. All you need to do is set a cron job to FTP the backup file, that's it - no program that doesn't come standard on a Linux box will be needed.

Security and reliability are my 2 main concerns - I certainly don't want my data to be intercepted while it is being backuped each time
    It would be extremely hard to intercept data while it is being sent over FTP. The only almost sure way is to have another server or account somewhere with SSH access, then you can use SCP, but it is really unnecessary.

- Matt

You're right - very absent-minded of me, really Yet I remember a Linux-based software that automates the entire process... oh, well.

What will the cron job script and the transfer script look like?

If you have ssh access, look at unison or rdiff-backup. I use unison on my accounts and it works great.

Thanks for pointing me there, mkc. But assuming that I don't have SSH (because my host recently had some issues with SSH, and I doubt he would give me access even if give them the relevant documents), are there alternatives?

Your host doesn't backup your files?

Originally posted by CretaForce
    Your host doesn't backup your files?
    I have three servers, none with a backup HD. All of my backups are done offsite to another server.

You can easily make a script to run by cron each day or week that would create backups & FTP your backup files to another server.

- Matt

I do the same thing.

mainarea, scripting is not my forte. I don't mind hunting around for one to work off, but I do need to know what such a script might be called