Thread: Colo Question

Colo Question

I'm going to get p4 processor from rackmountsetc. What should be the recommended spec for a colo hosting?

Also I would like to colo at jltnet in ohio what do you guys think?

I really don't have any knowledge in this field and would like to learn more

What should i do after that? what software should be installed? how can I install those softwares? remotely?

what about remote reboot.. what does it do? Is it really necessary to have that? where it is gonna be placed? since I want to lease only 1u, is it gonna be enough space for reboot hardware? what else hardware should I have?

thanksssss

We offer APC Masterswitch ports for a little extra. We recommend it to Windows clients. What are your reasons for using JLTNet in Ohio? If you running windows it has a remote desktop, if your running Linux you can probably just SSH into the box. If your not tech savvy you can use a webpanel for a little extra cash. Most the time if you have a co-located windows box you'll need to upload the installation program and run it. 99% of the time you already have your software installed before shipping your server to the datacenter.

Dustin Wright
    Network Administrator
    The Karcher Group
    North Canton, OH

APC make sense no matter what OS you do. Some time in the future your system will hang and you would want the ability to reboot it remotely. APC is really something you want to spend on.

Agreed. We even have switchs and routers on the rebootable power strips. I've only had to use them a few times, but not having to drive to work at 2am once makes it worth the price.

If your co-locating in a remote data center who charges for reboots you'll probably save money in the long run.

Dustin Wright
    Network Administrator
    The Karcher Group
    North Canton, OH

dwright, do you provide colo? I don't know any good yet cheap colo in ohio. That's why I want to use JLTNet

good choice on RME!

EdyOnline.

I would suggest you go to Dustins site.
    http://www.thekarchergroup.com/

He is not allowed to self promote himself in this forums, so will find it hard to reply to your question

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

Agreed. We even have switchs and routers on the rebootable power strips.
    this can be *very* dangerous
    - one hack and someone can shut your critical system(s) down
    - unpatched apc are vulnerable to all sorts of snmp attacks

i've watched people having their kit remotely rebooted over and over for them and the looks of horror are not nice ...

worse still, even protected for outside attacks, you can turn off your switch with the apc - how then can you get back to the apc to turn it on ?

we keep the master apc for the routers off-net, but on a serial port on a machine we can dial up with a modem...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Direct access from the Internet to the strips is blocked. You've got to be VPN'ed into the network, or worse case, dialup into the network to access that unit.

For Windows use either PC Anywhere or Terminal Services; for UNIX SSH is the way to go for remote capabilites.

Regarding reboots, APC is a good and convenint solution. Never had any problems with it. However some companies do offer unlimited reeboots as part of thier deals. Just make sure that support is available when the time comes for the reeboot request.