Question 'NamedAnchor' - Why are the there?

I'm re-designing a page that was originally built by someone else. Fairly simple table, few rows and colums, nothing unusual. At the top part of each section (the name/header/desription text of that section) is a 'NamedAnchor'. I see no purpose for them to be there, and I was just going to just delete them, but figured I better ask in case there was something I was missing.

By the way, there are no links anywhere that would take you to a certain/specific part of this page (as opposed to just taking you the top) so I just don't understand what purpose they could be serving.

Any ideas?

Many people add an anchor name
    Code:
    <a name="top"></a>
    at the top of the page, so they can then have a "Back to Top" button/link further down the page, especially if the page is long.
    Code:
    <a href="#top">Back to Top</a>
    The "NamedAnchor" sounds like it was put there by some automated web page maker software.
    Last edited by serialbeggar; 03-31-2004 at 02:45 PM.
    Serial Beggar
    Hate Your Family? Have No Friends? Make Me Your Beneficiary!

AFAIK, the anchor named "#" is automatically defined by the browser. I know that IE and Netscape/Mozilla did this from a very early version. I'm sure all modern browsers do this, also. Therefore, if the anchor is something like "top" that's used to return to the top of every page, feel free to delete it and then redirect any links to that anchor to "#".
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development