Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hypermart free hosting no longer

Hypermart.net informed me that they will no longer provide me with free webspace which i have used for a couple of years . Do I have any recourse?

Re: Hypermart free hosting no longer

Originally posted by bronc
    Hypermart.net informed me that they will no longer provide me with free webspace which i have used for a couple of years . Do I have any recourse?
    Start paying for hosting?

Of course, you could look for another free hosting provider (eg. NexusWebs).
    Have you Floble'd today?

The hard part is that his popularity will go down the drain (if he had a subdomain). Can't you pay for hosting for a few months (from hypermart) and ask anyone who has links to your website to change them to the new location (your new free hosting provider)?

It must be hard for you, I know, but I don't think there's anthing you can do but move. I used netfirms.com for free hosting sometime ago and they had great uptime.

Hope this helps somewhat.

If there are no alternatives concerning Hypermart than I advice you don't move to other free web hosting provider, but choose affordable web hosting solutions and purchase your own domain name as while moving from one free provider to other one you are to change your domain name (if it was 3rd level) and you will loose your visitors and SE ranking

thanks for the suggestions
    maybe just cut and try other hosts
    it's just that from a consumer point of view i would have thought that there was some contractual obligation to continue to provide what is originally offered.

. . . it's just that from a consumer point of view i would have thought that there was some contractual obligation to continue to provide what is originally offered.
    I'm sure there would have been something in their TOS that allows them to change their plans etc. That's a pretty standard inclusion in most TOS. [Terms of Service]

Have you checked their terms and conditions ?

I'd be prepared to bet money without even reading them that the terms you agreed to included their right to terminate service at any point - this is standard for paid hosts so I'm sure a free host would have it covered.
    Invectis - Windows 2000, 2003 and MS SQL Server web hosting

Originally posted by invectis
    Have you checked their terms and conditions ?

I'd be prepared to bet money without even reading them that the terms you agreed to included their right to terminate service at any point - this is standard for paid hosts so I'm sure a free host would have it covered.
    Just beat you to it.

Just beat you to it.
    That's no reason to brag about it though...

bronc: HQHost is right, get a domain name. It's well worth the price.

it's just that from a consumer point of view i would have thought that there was some contractual obligation to continue to provide what is originally offered.
    So these guys give you 2 years of FREE hosting and now you feel that they have some obligation to you?

Hosts offering free services are entitled to terminate their free service at any time. Check their TOS - I'm sure that it's been covered in their clause.

Be glad that they at least took the effort to inform you ahead of time - some free hosts just delete with no notice given

2 years of FREE hosting
    Sorry to disagree, but that would be 2 years of ad funded hosting, which is a different thing.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Sorry to disagree, but that would be 2 years of ad funded hosting, which is a different thing.

You are welcome to disagree but when someone recieves 2 years of hosting at no cost to themselves, it is FREE hosting.

Ad funded hosting is basically barter, hence it's not free hosting. Free hosting is just a cleverly coined term... very cleverly coined term...

Agreed.

Perhaps you should ask for a refund? [ j/k ]
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

ok sounds as if i'm ungrateful

bronc, have you been happy with HyperMart? Their paid hosting prices for existing customers are reasonable and may be worth looking into while you decide what to do. I had a site with them several years ago, left because of downtime, and then decided to give HostRocket a try which turned out to be a big mistake. Just be careful whatever you decide to do.

Good luck.

Stop whining, open your wallet, let our the moths and pay for some hosting..you can't afford $3 a month? I had a hypermart account from years ago, they gave ample notice of it's changes and since I hadn't used it in a long time, didn't really care, but it WAS in their TOS that they had the right to discontinue free hosting at their leisure. So yes, you did hava a contract and that was part of what you AGREED to when you opened the account.

I've been thru several of those 'free' hosting services..hypermart actually was one of the better ones. shame they discontinued it, but times have changed. Most like, the ad revenue probably was not enough anymore to offset the costs in the currrent economy. And I didn't find their rates to be bad..you might just want to switch over to one of their paid hosting options.

I'd try an move as quickly as you can so that you can run a "Just Moved Page" until they cut it out.

I'd try an move as quickly as you can so that you can run a "Just Moved Page" until they cut it out.
    Words of wisdom...

2 Choices:
    1. Pay for hosting
    or
    2. Go to another free hosting provider

i think i've got the message:
    be grateful and don't be mean
    well actually i'm still being mean and have signed on to nexus
    thanks for the help (and the berating!)

No matter if adverts are on the pages or not. The one fact of the matter is that you do not pay, the service is 'FREE'. Their costs yes are advert funded. HOWEVER, your services are not advert funded in the sense your paying for your service via adverts.

So therefor, yes you are having FREE hosting. Do not try to say you are not by saying there are adverts.

Freewebspace.net would be a good place to look for a new free web host.
    Last edited by tehtech; 03-20-2004 at 04:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast