Help... WHM/root domain (how to access features)

I know, I know...silly but I'm still confused. I need to set up my own personal website settings, the settings I will use on my rootdomain. Now, if my WHM control panel was also setup on that very same root domain, (ie) "rootdomain.com:2086" how can I access my emails, mailing lists, and other settings for the domain itself "rootdomain.com"? The type of access normally gotten via cPanel where you control your own personal site features.

For example, I made my website in FrontPage for my domain "rootdomain.com which is also the WHM domain "rootdomain.com" but I can't turn frontpage on for "rootdomain.com" nor can I make emails because technically, there is no personal cPanel for "rootdomain.com" and therefore I can't access it except via rootdomain.com:2086. So how can I setup my own personal settings, emails, autoresponders, fp extens, etc" settings for "rootdomain.com"?

there is no such thing as a 'root' domain for cpanel, there is a hostname.

Whenever you create an account in WHM there will always be a cpanel for it, just try to access at www.domain.com/cpanel

And btw, every domain you setup will be able to goto www.theirdomain.com:2086 and get WHM.

the 2086 and 2087 ports are for WHM. If you want to setup your own settings for domain, you have to go with 2082 or 2083 ports. Remember 2083 and 2087 are secure ports, so you have to use https:

I've tried to access via domain.com/cpanel but it doesn't let me in. It doesn't post any errors, it just keeps asking for my username and password (correctly entered). I tried my root username and pass but it doesn't work for :2082. I also tried my account non-root username and pass and it doesn't work either. Is there something extra I was supposed to setup in the WHM to get access to that cPanel, or was WHM supposed to set this up by itself automatically?
    Last edited by taze; 03-19-2004 at 12:53 AM.

for cpanel you will need to create an account in whm, root is for WHM and server command line only.

Is the account I'm supposed to set up the hostname domain.com itself? Am I understanding corrctly that if my WHM hostname is "mydomain.com" then from the WHM, I will setup an account for "mydomain.com itself, just as if I were setting up any other domain?

Thank you

are you a reseller or a host?

Your servers hostname should be set to something like leo.yourmaindomain.com

For example, if a server was named jupiter, the hostname would be jupiter.dynamohosting.net .

Then you go in and create an account for the main domain so you can use it for web site purposes.

Finally... got it! Thank you very much :-)