Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I need?

fair answer jsw6. OS aside for a moment though, what about that configuration I listed. I was assuming that SQUID doesn't need a powerful machine. If I'm wrong though let me know. What should be the specs for a machine running SQUID? That is assuming that it IS caching.

also I have a conference call with a reseller for Sun on Monday. If I am not happy ultimately with the idea of using Sun, then I'll revisit Linux/FreeBSD. Although I will admit I'm somewhat shaky about going that route simply for hardware reasons. Just because the hardware is listed as being "supported" doesn't mean jack squat in my brief but revealing experience.

oh and also I should apologize for becoming heated earlier in this thread with you jsw6 as you have been quite helpful. I misread/misunderstood where you were originally going with this whole thing and should not have said what was said. I do appreciate your help very much.

You won't be using Squid in a caching configuration, as the purpose of it is to free up httpd processes more rapidly, not to off-load content delivery. If you want to host the images and other non-dynamic content on a platform other than Apache+PHP (which is smart) you should either out-source it to someone who does that well, or run thttpd for your images. thttpd is very light-weight, and will perform better than Squid as a static content delivery server.

I'd buy roughly the same configuration for your web serving cluster and your Squid box/boxes. You should still use the right configuration for the job, but if you can condense your configurations to two and use one of those for every role, you will have an easier time managing your computing resources. It'll be easier to repurpose that under-utilized Squid server as another web cluster node when traffic goes up, or pull a node out of the cluster to act as a mail gateway when you want to run that new anti-virus scanning package on your users' incoming mail. Flexibility is key

As far as hardware support goes, just buy your Linux or FreeBSD servers from a vendor who has experience with those platforms. I like www.fnordsystems.com, although you may be more comfortable with a vendor like Dell or IBM, who also sell good, expensive servers with support arrangements.

Frankly, the hardware compatibility problems you experienced with Linux(?) and an SiS chipset mainboard are nothing compared to the OS headaches you will encounter with HP-UX.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

IBM sells FreeBSD systems? I did not see this on the site however this would be perfect. Where can I find out more about that?

IBM sells Linux systems. I think Fnord Systems will sell servers with FreeBSD installed. You really do need to make a choice between a FreeBSD environment without vendor support (not so bad), a Linux environment with support from IBM/etc (good but expensive), or a Solaris environment (which is totally wrong for your needs.)

If I were you, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the SCO vs IBM lawsuit. Even the judge is growing impatient with SCO's tactics; SCO has been barred from making many of the statements they made in their accusations against IBM in any form in Germany, as they were unable to prove those statements to be factual to German courts' satisfaction.

Also, Mr McBryde is encouraging the federal government to ... do something, he hasn't decided what yet ... because Linux is a weapon and because rogue countries such as North Korea (his example, here) can use it to create super computers.

You can use Playstation 2's to create supercomputers as well, I say we ban the manufacturing of them as well....
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    You can use Playstation 2's to create supercomputers as well, I say we ban the manufacturing of them as well....
    I agree! I've always thought that they were dangerous.

To be honest, you could probably use the electronics in Tickle-Me-Elmo's in a dangerous way if you had enough of them. Is that what we want to give our children? Weapons?!

back to topic for a sec.... despite my agreeing with the majority that SCO's claims won't ultimately hold, I still think that it's a bad time to get involved personally. While the smoke WILL clear, it's just a matter of time... until then though, I'll go Unix. Plus I've been devoting my time to learning Unix system administration, so I feel like it'd be best to at least use Unix for a while and take a break before I attempt to transition over to Linux. Although my small experience with Linux has led me to believe that transitioning won't be a big deal.

my biggest hurdle I guess is really whether I want to continue on my quest to use a commercial Unix, or whether I should just go with FreeBSD again.

While for support reasons I'd like to go commercial, I can see the money that I'd save by using FreeBSD and less costly (non-name brand) hardware. It really comes down to performance and stability and whether it would be just as stable. While I might run into hardware compatibility issues, the bottom line is that with the money I'd save, I can actually afford to replace hardware if need be... but the flipside is whether I want to take the time to deal with that.

Again, I'll wait until my meeting/conference-call tomorrow and see what happens.

It doesn't come down to performance and stability. The problem here is you've got some huge misconceptions about the value of commercial unixes, and you can't let go of them. Do you think people still buy new HP-UX installations for new projects in start-up environments? "No." HP-UX is sold in places where it has been entrenched for years.

Is Solaris sold in start-up environments? Of course it is. Solaris has huge advantages over other platforms for some tasks. Solaris has OS features which are specific to making it run Oracle better. Solaris on Sun big iron can survive online CPU replacements. I don't think Linux will be doing that anytime soon. However, you will not be swapping out failed hardware on your running web servers anytime soon.

FreeBSD, and Linux, are fine platforms, and are not inherently less stable than Solaris, HP-UX, or AIX, for the task at hand.

We've been back and forth on this thread quite a lot, and I really think it's time for you to forget everything you believe about the present value of commercial unices. It's no longer there for web serving. It's been gone for years, and you seem to be living in the past.

Is Solaris really considered a commercial Unix by itself? I thought that the deal with it was that the license to use it was free but the media wasn't?

Just a reccommendation - If this project is so important to you why do you "Rent" the Sun Servers for 1-3 months and do your testing on them. You can get them from www.atlantixglobal.com

I know a girl thier Page Dispenza 770-582-7222 giver her a call and run your questions by here. "She is a Sun Guru" it's worth a try.
    e^deltacom Carrier Class Data Center near Atlanta *Colocation and Managed Hosting
    We are a Tier-1 Facility * Providing Tier 1 Service for Web Hosts and Enterprise Clients
    Mark Reedy - Account Executivemreedy@edeltacom.com
    866-600-3266 Ext. 5199

thanks mreedy.

actually after my conference call today, I'm beginning to understand what people are talking about. I'm starting to feel hesitant about Sun servers and Solaris.

so, now I guess I start over again. Problem is, I hate Dell. So how's IBM for FreeBSD systems? I don't mind going with FreeBSD as my Unix. As long as it's Unix and not Linux, I'm happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12