7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cpanel/WHM

6 85.71%
  • EnsimPro

1 14.29%
  • Helm

0 0%

which one is better: Cpanel/WHM, EnsimPro or Helm

Which one is better to use and why (Cpanel/WHM, EnsimPro or Helm)? What are the good/bad points of each?

Please post a poll vote and put in a comment to back up your vote. Thanks.

This is a funny poll. It's like saying which is better:

1) Ford
    2) Suzuki
    3) Norton

Ford make cars, Suzuki make cars and bikes and Norton only makes bikes. So which is better at what, for what, in what?
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

, let me clarify. Which one is better as a Control Panel Software for web hosting and why? I didn't know they were used for anything else. Maybe you can educate?
    Last edited by kalmos; 03-18-2004 at 11:34 PM.

"None of the above"
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

You should probably indicate what OS you are running, why you have chosen that OS, what you will be hosting (just web sites? What about streaming content? etc.) Why did you select just these three control panels out of all of the ones available? Then someone can probably give you some specific help to make a decision.

Helm - windows

Different league from Ensim / cPanel

I don't have a server yet and I'm doing research before I get one. I'm thinking of going with SM as a host and they offer Cpanel/WHM and Helm but one can always get one elsewhere. OS will most likely be RedHat. It nicelly complements PHP and MySQL. Lot's of opensource in this combo out there.

Yes, I may have streaming video/music in the future but not anytime soon. Will this be an issue with RedHat?

So, how do these differ: Cpanel/WHM vs EnsimPro? What makes one better over the other?

Ensim is best. Better than any other.

We've been using it since 2001, when it was launched as a VPS under server exchange.

Greetings:

If you want complete hosting automation, check out H-Sphere at http://www.psoft.net/

I do understand why you didn't list it as a control panel.

The ones you listed in your poll are only control panels. That's all they do.

H-Sphere just does more.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Yes, Plesk, when combined with Virtuozzo, does also do more! :-)))

If you are going to order a server with SM, then order CPanel, and you will get Fanstastico for free - if the offer still stands.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Plesk is my personal choice Haven't used Ensim in a long time, so I'm not sure. cPanel/WHM has been giving me a lot of problems, and their support team takes so long to respond.

Cpanel/WHM is only for *nix platform and Helm is only for the Windows platform so there is no contest there. Ensim has support for both Windows and Linux. So it is hard to say which is better.

For Linux, Cpanel/WHM seems like the favorite around.

For Windows, I prefer Ensim because it is simple to use and quite complete for my needs.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I think you should try as many demos as you can and see for yourself. I find Ensim to be painfully slow and gave up using it after six months. DirectAdmin is great on linux and FreeBSD but if you want to stream windows files etc you are probably better off with a Windows box.

Like the others said the new Plesk has gotten great reviews while H-Sphere really does do more. You will get dozens of different opinions on this thread. At the end of the day you have to be happy with the choice.

So go through the demos check speed, functionality, ease of use, etc. See if they help with billing and management of your business (if you want it to) or if they are just control panels. Then weigh all of these factors against cost and go from there.

Good luck!

Probably posted in the wrong forum also....
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - [email protected]

i used plesk 1 years ago and now i still use plesk as my favourite control panel server then i vote 1 for plesk although plesk license not cheap

well most of my clients are asking for cpanel/WHM
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Would that be because you don't offer another control panel? Most people have the sense not to ask for something that isn't available.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability