Thread: Get a 1U server

Get a 1U server

Hello,

I am doing research for 1U servers, it there any suggestion? I did some research at google and some forums. Just want some comment from you guys.
    Henry

Are you planning to use it for colo?

If so I would highly recommend a Dell. You have the option of getting a 2 or 4 hour hardware response/replacement plan. You can then rest with peace of mind.

Just my thoughts....

Possible to build a server by myself? Coz I can build a desktop. I searched 1U server case, that's so expensive, like US$200-300, holy
    Henry

Servers, at least the decent ones, are built with much higher quality standards and much more testing than PC's.

If your building a server for fun, learning or testing, then I would say build it yourself. If you are building a server to host clients, hang your business on, and hope to sleep at night, I would go with the Dell. It would be worth every penny. If $300 for a case seems too much, you may not be ready for a your own server.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces

At first I was wondering if that was really the type of case i was looking for, seeing it was three times as expensive as my PC case while being three times smaller..
    josh

1U cases are not cheap for a reason.

I have been building 1U servers for 2 years and have learnt alot, the cases need to be up to the job and a cheap case will be more trouble than it's worth.

They need to be able to keep everything cool and working while crammed in to a rack with 30+ other servers.

If you are going to do it then buy a case thats up to the job.

If you are looking to purchase a 1U server at a very reasonable price with good support, I'd suggest also taking a look at Cavalieri Computing - http://www.cavaliericomputing.com

Bill C. is a great guy and we have purchased a number of servers from him. I have nothing but great things to say about him and his business. He will even preload your desired o/s and ship it straight to your data center, ready to plug in.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

have heard good things about rackmountsetc.com

just use exactly the same hardware components as dell or other well known brand name, your server will be fine. just my 2 cents .

I'd recommend rackmountsetc.com - email sales@rackmountsetc.com and get a quote before you commit to someone else.
    Roman Volf
    volfman@keystreams.com
    http://www.keystreams.com

Re: Get a 1U server

It's not a bad idea to check out 1U servers from:

supermicro.com
    colomachine.com
    pogolinux.com

www.rackmountsetc.com

Brian is on the ball, he has built a few servers for us already. No problems at all.

Regards
    Phillip
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

thanks for all your information, I will email them and see any great deal.
    Henry

Im not a great fan of Rackmountsetc myself, had some nasty experiences with them, things not coming as they ordered, servers coming with faulty PSUs, no motherboard drivers which he hasnt replaced etc. Bought a few machines from http://colomachine.com/ and had a much better experience.

We use apaqdigital at http://www.apaqdigital.com/ We have many of our own and have referred serveral of our colocation clients to them. They use quality parts and the do a great job setting the servers up.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Is there anyone hear this company jhpservers.com? My friend told me that company is new, and their server prices look good deal to me.
    Henry

I have had very good results with Dell servers and Compaq servers. I guess it just depends on your budget.

Servers run all the time

Remember this server is not going to shut down. Keep it cool and it will be happy. HDDs generate a lot of heat and so do CPUs.

A lot of hosts charge more for PC's than 1Us since they use about 2-3 times more amps and are 2-3U in size.
    cPanel Partner NOC -StoreSense E-Commerce Partner
    Personal, Business, Co-location, Reseller
    Negociated pricing on 1-12 month Contracts
    sales@dpssystems.com www.dpssystems.com

Nice cases

I always wanted to toy with a case like jhpservers.com has. Sort of like the original Cobalt case and great for 2-post racks like we use.

I might give them a try or at least try to get a case off them abd build one.

One other note. Servermicro has a great case (SC811) that I have found nice for 2 or 4 post racks AND it includes rails.
    cPanel Partner NOC -StoreSense E-Commerce Partner
    Personal, Business, Co-location, Reseller
    Negociated pricing on 1-12 month Contracts
    sales@dpssystems.com www.dpssystems.com

i got a server from jhp, it looks cool. actually, they show me their server and other company server. I do not know what's different between them.
    Henry

In response to GeorgeBH.

First of all, it is always much more respectful to talk to us directly about any problem you have with your hardware purchased from us. Secondly, any hardware issues you may of had, if you had contacted us, we would of resolved them same day. Third, bashing someone on someone else's thread is prohibited by WHT guidlines.

GeorgeBH please contact us directly to solve your problems. We've never heard from you regaurding any problems.
    █ Brian Wing | RackmountsEtc™
    www.rackmountsetc.com - sales@rackmountsetc.com - 619-258-0573
    █ Custom built rackmount server systems from Atom to Sandybridge
    █ Custom Server Solutions to suit your needs™