What's your favorite anti-virus program?

I un-installed norton because I couldn't stand it.... it always bugged me and took over my entire PC.

Now I don't have any anti-virus program installed at all and need to get one. Which ones your favorite?

I was thinking of just buying the Mcafee one... which other ones are good?

Mcaffee, and only Mcaffee for me.
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I've been using Avast! for the past 6 months or so and it has done a very good job of protecting. So far it has blocked every incoming email virus and prevented several download virus.

And, it's FREE

Mac OS X
    Gone.

Hi Frosty,

I'd stick with Norton!

I use to run McAfee, but it never picked up on anything. And yes I had it setup to scan everything, emails, internet traffic, etc. After I installed and run Norton's it found and deleted 5 viruses, which McAfee didn't even notify me of.

So the bugging you got from Norton maybe be a good reason to keep using them. =)

This is just my experience. Results may vary. ;-)

Kevin

Norton, used it for years and all is well.
    Common sense isn't so common.

AVG > *

I see, I guess I'll just stick with norton in that case... or maybe try Avast. I was going to get Mcafee until I read that one response

I've got a really stupid question (I'm blonde sorry)... when I bought this PC a couple months ago it came with norton but I un-installed it... how do I re-install the blasted thing? I shouldn't have un-installed it because now I don't see how I can re-install it because it came with my PC.

Did they give you a disk of applications? When I bought my Gateway they gave us a software bundle, filled with different apps.
    Common sense isn't so common.

I used to be a norton guy but with the new activation junk their using i've switched to gisoft's free anti-virus program AVG.

It worked just dandy so far. the email integration isn't as nice as norton. while norton will scan email as it comes in and cleans it before it even gets into the mailbox avg won't catch the viruses until the file is downloaded and you try to read it. But it still catches and stops them so I guess it really doesn't matter.

it's a bit neutered in comparison to their pay versions but it works just fine as a background protector, it's a lot less bloated than norton or mcafee and best of all free.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

I looked through the CD's but didn't see one for norton. Actually I did accidently leave a couple CD's at my mother's office.. I'll check later today maybe it's there somewhere.

Edit: I'll try that Grisoft too. That's why I didn't like norton, it's too bloated.

Norton is a resource hog and not smart enough. I installed Mcaffee and it's light & found some dormant 'bugs' as well.

I really didn't like norton... I'll go with Mcafee then :)

First I'll try that free grisoft.

Grisoft's AVG.

Avast

I've had nothing but problems with norton since version 2000 (paid 50 when it was new ). Excessive memory usage, run away processes, and hanging.

Since then, I removed it and excercised more extreme caution with the internet, but I'm still looking for a decent anti-virus that doesnt kill my computer.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Hmm, Nortons since July 1997. Got 2003 right now...

I don't see it takin over my pc at all. Just don't install that system works crap.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Linux!

Seriously.. I have found NAV to be easiest to use... however I thnk the important thing is HAVING av. Too many people still do not run any.
    Brad Baker www.rochen.com
    Rochen - True Premium Shared & Reseller Hosting since 2000
    Better Support: Expert support 24/7 from Red Hat and Cisco Certified Engineers
    Joomla! Core Team Member Joomla Tutorials

Re: What's your favorite anti-virus program?

Originally posted by Frosty
    I un-installed norton because I couldn't stand it.... it always bugged me and took over my entire PC.

Now I don't have any anti-virus program installed at all and need to get one. Which ones your favorite?

I was thinking of just buying the Mcafee one... which other ones are good?
    F-Secure... http://www.f-secure.com/

By far, (IMHO), the best anti virus software I have ever found.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Mcafee all the way!!!!!!

The Dude

symantec corp edition (was a free download from my University website)

love it since antivirus definition doesn't expires

Norton is simply a resource hog. . . i'm looking for another piece of software too.
    Have you Floble'd today?

AVG
    -fast
    -never had to reformat pc because other anti-virus programs ( norton and mcaffee) deleted my windows files
    -safe

McAffe + AVG PRO = Ultimate Virus Protection. Oddly, they both find differnet viruses (if they are present) Sometime McAffee catches them - sometimes AVG
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

I used to use Norton until their LiveUpdate process screwed up my DSL. I had to do a restore to resolve that.

Their support then said I should update manually. Fine, but suprise, it did it again.

Contacted support again and their response was "we know there is a problem but don't have a fix or an ETA for it. Just don't update the program in the meantime and you will be fine".

That's smart advice...don't update your virus definitions or firewall scripts.

I dumped Norton immediatley after that and switched to McAfee. I have been very happy with it. I use their firewall and virus scan. Never been infected (knock on wood) or had any problems with it updating. I can scan in the background and still work online where with Norton it was impossible to do anything while it scanned.

Im using AVG free version.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Nod32 - read somewhere it's stopped some of the worst viruses before signatures were even released - apparently has some special analysis engine

NOD32 is the best and very regular / early updates...

Linux
    When I actually boot into XP however, norton is running for me.

slows my pc down a bit... but its not that bad.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

I like AVG.

I had the same resource problems with Norton, especially with Zip files. It would take forever to scan a Zip file, and my whole computer would slow to a crawl.

I use EZ Trust Anti-virus. There is a free special, and it comes with a free Zone Alarm fire wall. No resources, invisible, and its caught quite few viruses.

Heres the link: http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces

Running Panda and Kaperskey at the moment but used to have Nod32. In independent tests, it had a detection rate of 99% or similar and won the tests, beating all the others such as Sophos, Norton, Mcafee etc...

Surprisingly, Kaperskey did quite weel too, I think it was second or third. I only use Panda because its very fast and simple, also seems very very effective compared to AVG Free
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Norton for our network pc's and for our network servers
    i used to use Mcaffee and love it but i found after some releases it started to crash windows system. i used to operate 14 pc's in an internet cafe few years ago so security was important so i switched them all to Norton and it run perfectly.
    also i would recomand Norton internet security as its the best defance for it has firewall + antivirus and more
    good luck