Thread: How do i do?

How do i do?

Hi All im new to this forum so no doubt my question has been answered many times but thought id ask it and introduce myself at same time.

Currently i have my own website on a hosts server but im also trying to get a business up and running building designing and selling people webspace ill be honestwith you from the start i havent got the 1st clue where i start so can someone give me some guidance please?

Thankyou
    Kieran

For selling webspace:

If you're planning on hosting your clients via a subdomain off your domain, search the forums for the ongoing subdomain patent fiasco first.

If not, getting a reseller hosting account would be better. Check out the Reseller forum for more info.

For webdesigns:

To get you an easy headstart on this business, buy a template package that you could resell. I saw in one of the forums here but I can't remember which one about one design company selling 650+ templates with full resale rights for under $20. I myself is gonna buy those templates to give away to my hosting clients.

Good luck on your new business!

Read through the forums here. Lots of information so that you can ask a little more detailed. Get a reseller account for web hosting and play with it. Look at your local market to see if that would be something to be your target group in the beginning.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

You might want to read some of the articles on reselling at www.thewhir.com. They will give you a basic understanding of how reselling works and what to look for.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Thanks peeps ur help is appreciated i shall have a look around and try to work out what type of deal i require.

Originally posted by boeki

For webdesigns:

To get you an easy headstart on this business, buy a template package that you could resell. I saw in one of the forums here but I can't remember which one about one design company selling 650+ templates with full resale rights for under $20. I myself is gonna buy those templates to give away to my hosting clients.

Good luck on your new business!
    Would i need any sort of Licence to sell these and could i do this from my current website without having to change anything?

Search around WHT for forums about starting up and also pingzine.com (a web hosting magazine) has a article that you can view online from the first issue about becoming a web host and what you need, etc.

ty gghosting i shall do just that m8 your a star

Originally posted by kjgpcs
    Would i need any sort of Licence to sell these and could i do this from my current website without having to change anything?
    I found the site. It's itwebsolution.com. It says on their page that the bundle has full resale rights so I guess after paying $19.95 and downloading the package it's all yours to resell.

Whether TemplateMonster has given up hope of erradicating these "stolen" templates or not, I personaly wouldn't buy them. They're stolen, whether ITWebSolutions did it or not. Quite simply, it's wrong. "57 premium templates..." heh

cheers boeki i have got the site address now will bookmark it and look into it thanks for your help

i downloaded one of their free php downloads to give me some idea of what theyre like it has downloaded & called itsself a TAR file would i be right in thinking i need something like photoshop installed inorder that i can then edit this file?

Originally posted by Rman2003
    Whether TemplateMonster has given up hope of erradicating these "stolen" templates or not, I personaly wouldn't buy them. They're stolen, whether ITWebSolutions did it or not. Quite simply, it's wrong. "57 premium templates..." heh
    Are you sure about this? I was about ready to buy the package but since reading your post, I have to hold off until I verify with them.

Thanks for the info.

Greetings:

In addition to the helpful information on Web Hosting Talk and http://www.thewhir.com/ , call your local chamber of commerce.

Let them know you are a new business; and, ask what resources they have for new start ups.

A lot of them will have free to low cost information that can be of great help.

You may want to visit some of their fuctions; and joining may help you with networking with local companies that might be a good fit for being your customers.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Firstly, welcome to the world of business. It is very hard to start up new, however don't worry - we all start at the bottom; you just need to remember to work it slowly and don't expect to up there at the top anytime soon.

Firstly, you must get a reseller account. This is a certain must if you wish to start reselling web hosting space; and of course in the future you can get a larger reseller account and even eventually get a dedicated server - but it is always best to start small and work your way up.

Secondly, you'll need a way to charge them. This can be done from either PayPal, 2CheckOut or PaySystems - or really, any merchant account.

By now, you have a start. Obviously, there is a lot more - such as working out package prices, working out package space and bandwidth and so on... however little by little is the best approach as always. As another said, there is a hosting magazine which gives you the basics and shows you host to start up. Otherwise, there are other good magazines which can help you however are not specifically hosting related.

If I were you, I'd simply find a reseller company that gives you a small amount of space for your own site - and then allows you to resell their shared packages and they will recommend you a price. I used to know of at least five companies like this, and this is always a good way to start up at the real beginning. As obviously, after you get a 3rd part merchant account and a reseller account like this - that is a lot of stuff sorted out. Then of course there is offering your clients support; since you're new you may wish to try out sourcing your support however some reseller companies also deal with your clients for you if you pay them a certain fee.

Also, don't forget to read as many topics as you can here. This same topic has come up many times before and each and every time the people gave brilliant answers; simply search for one of those topics and you'll get even more answers.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your venture.

A reseller Account, lot of advt, and you are going.

Yes, what openXS said is very true - you need to advertise.

It is true, lots of companies do start out with no money going into advertising, however it is highly recommended for new companies.

thanks people i shall now look into getting one of these reselling accounts and will also as you say see my local C of C who naturally will know more about it than me thanks for ure help

Sure, no probs kjgpcs.

If you need any more help, simply create another topic and let us know.