best way to optimize page width?..

Hello again,

I'm looking for the best way to optimize page width for every resolution, so that it looks about the same width no matter what resolution a user visits under.

I know that there's a very simple way to do this, like the overall table around the outside has to be 100% or something, but I just need confirmation, and since I'm running PHP-Nuke on my site I was wondering what file I would need to edit to find the table I need to change the width of.

It's because right now for 1024x768 res and below users have a horizontal scroll bar , and that's just annoying lol... so yeah

Thanks!

Re: best way to optimize page width?..

Originally posted by HopelessLose
    I know that there's a very simple way to do this, like the overall table around the outside has to be 100% or something
    I do believe, you answered your own question.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

I personally try to optimize my pages for 800 x 600.

There is still a significant number of people using 800 x 600. Therefore, there are two ways to properly optimize pages:

1. Use tables and set width to 100%
    2. Make the width a little under 800px (don't forget that the scroll bar takes up some of that room). I tend to go with 790 or 750.

Max
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development

Usually make the width 760 on my designs. Perfect on 800x600, fine on larger resolutions

I certainly wouldn't optimize for 800x600. Yes... that's about the minimum any one (at least any one respectable to us geeks ) is going to browse at. But many people have larger screens... and let's face it, what's the point of having a larger screen if everything is 800x600. It irritates me how many people hardcode their pages to look good *only* at specific sizes.

b.t.w. I was being facetious about the respectable part. My general strategy is to make sure the page looks good at 800 and above, but also to make sure the page is usable (in the Nielsen sense) at any size.

You might be surprized to know that statistically speaking, enough people are using Screen settings of 1600x1200 to also be aware of and code for. These people usually use a "split screen" thus having two screens, 800x600.

You mean 4 right?

yeah but with PHP Nuke.. I tried editing "header.html" to get the overall table changed width... and it went through... but it didn't change the width of the page, it still needed to horizontally scroll.... I guess I need a phpnuke expert here....(or just user)... which file do I have to change to fix the stupid width problem? thanks

Going from memory with PHP Nuke, the 'header.html' file probably has a TABLE setting of of width=100% and calls for 3 inner tables -- which could be 3 seperate files. These inner TABLES need to be looked at, to see if they are using % or px for TABLE width. Changes to all 4 files would probably have to made to do what you want.

I say that because I doubt that scripts of the PHP Nuke type, have upgraded to using CSS for layout and a more free flowing type code. It would only require a change to one file if that was the case.

Alright, thanks for the help i'll try that out

I agree - use width of 760px as unless you are very content heavy there is not much need for more...

Hi

As others too mentioned better to go with 800 X 600 it will optimize your page width with good effects.

Regards,

Bright

You guys have me confused. I know I MUST be missing something. I usually use 100% because when I visit sites that are 800X600 on my 1280x1024 they are hard to read and only occupy a small portion of my screen...am I comparing apples to oranges with what you are all talking about?

Hi DDT,

cool: Don't get confused anyway everyone knows apple is sweet and orange is 50-50.Choice is yours.

All the best for selection.

Regards

Bright