hosting a gameserver, udp protocol issues

I've noticed a strange behaviour on most games i was trying to run.

servers are built on Intelฎ Server Board SE7501BR2, Seagate 10K Scsi drives, 1GB Kingmax paired memory with two xeons onboard with HTT enabled.

the problem is, ping-times are very unstable, it jumps from 10-20ms ,wich is corresponding to real ICMP ping response, to 30-40, not lagging, just unstable.

Running RedHat 9 with latest updates and 2.4.20-30.9-smp kernel without any modifications. Connection is superb 1gbit/s via builtin intel gigabit-class card. Routers/switches all core Cisco products, i think it's somewhere in the system, but i'am no qualified that much

tried to running any of games via nice -n -20...didn't help to stabilize

thanx in advance for any opinion on that matter

i've almost forgot, i was trying to run iD Software's engine based games, Quake 3 Arena, Medal of Honour, Call of Duty etc...

Games are famously picky and demanding. What's the CPU load?

At the same time 10-30ms is negligible.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Are the client machines in the same LAN ?

if so what type of ethernet cards you have in the client machines?

sprintserver
    unnoticeable 0.15 max.

t3r0
    over the internet, i'm connecting to them via 2mbit fdx connection, so the problem ain't there...

I had same kind of "problem" when I was hostin Counter-Strike
    server with 10mbs internet connection. when there were only
    people with good (over 1mbs) connections, no problem but if
    even one player with higher ping connected all pings went unstable...

Yes. That's why you need to set up software to auto-drop high pings candidates (or have vigilant admins)

That's common because the server have to wait for the high-ping guy to send the information before it can send to the rest. So it invariably lags everyone.
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••

sprintserve
    i forgot to mention...that it's unstable even when only one player is online, me. i've even tried to disable the smp support, i was told that it's implementation isn't correct in some games....no luck so far

One possible fix is to try out the new 2.6 kernel. It will support HT a lot better, and has some default settings that will help in smoother gameplay such as the hz settings. That may be the fix you need.

sprintserve
    any advice, good advice, will try and report back asap.

is there an rpm around ?

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.

Why are you so insistant that its not your network rather than your server?

You said you have a 2 megabit/sec line. Capacity, in mbps, really has little to do with ping latency and stability. Have you tried to setup another machine on that box to see what incoming pings look like?

Do you see the fluctuations ONLY in game, or are they present when pinging the box as well?

I highly highly doubt its the server itself.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Originally posted by sprintserve
    Yes. That's why you need to set up software to auto-drop high pings candidates (or have vigilant admins)

That's common because the server have to wait for the high-ping guy to send the information before it can send to the rest. So it invariably lags everyone.
    This is not neccasarily correct

the post above this however, is.

innova
    as i've mentioned, ICMP pings eg. latency is correct, 15-20 MS, i'm connected to a backgone via 26GHZ FWA link, 2.6 seems to help a little, will do some perfomance tests and report asap.

Originally posted by Winkie
    This is not neccasarily correct

the post above this however, is.
    It is correct I assure you. We run many game servers. I just said it in a more simplistic way

And we see the discrepancy between in-game pings and direct pings all the time. It's a common issue, but the possible causes is probably enough to write a book about.

Check to see what your server fps is set to. It's usually set to 20, but some people set it to 25, thinking it will perform better. Unfortunately, it doesn't sync well with the 60 fps on the client, so you get a wavy ping.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Originally posted by sprintserve
    It is correct I assure you. We run many game servers. I just said it in a more simplistic way

And we see the discrepancy between in-game pings and direct pings all the time. It's a common issue, but the possible causes is probably enough to write a book about.
    It depends on the game architecture, also in-game pings are usually UDP response times, not ICMP ping packets, causing them to get slightly higher priority from most routers, so you can end up with UDP ping with a lower ping time than ICMP.

Networking can be done in many ways, it can be that it waits for all clients to report until it sends data out, but this leads to the problem of, if a client disconnects, this would lag all other clients until said client's zombie connection had been cleared off, the most substantial cause of lag is usually the server hitting 100% cpu and not sending out regular updates, the client tends to **** itself in that situation unfortunately