* Advice for dedicated server service

Hello All,

I've been lurking around a bit, with great interest in starting my own web hosting service.

I am mostly interested in the possibility of leasing servers, and selling blocks of disk/bandwidth to resellers who can offer web hosting packages to end-users. Most of all, I want to focus completly on resellers. I don't have a data center, so I was hoping to find some dedicated servers that I could lease, to do the something similar.

I am looking for a good datacenter that offers dedicated servers, and will allow me to resell disk/bandwidth from server to others. Could anyone point out any companies that allow this, and have good packages/prices? I've outlined below what I am hoping to find...

• I'm looking for a windows box, not rock-bottom cheap (we get what we pay for), but reasonably priced.
    • I'm not looking for managed services.
    • Prefer windows 2000, but will take 2003, (have heard war stories regarding w2k3, so I'd like to stay with 2k).
    • Plenty of bandwidth and disk, and reasonable upgrade options.
    • Good customer service, and quick turn-around time on trouble tickets.

If there is anything else that the group feels would be an important consideration, please bring it to my attention.. I intend to do plenty of research before I run out and lease a server.

Anyway, thanks all in advance for your help!

T

It might be wise to state (roughly) the geographical location you require your servers to be in.
    ••• Mark Castle •••
    ••• www.captivereality.com •••
    ••• domainlabs.uk •••
    My views are my own and not those of my company.

I would prefer continental US.. I'm not picky about location within US.

Forgot.. I would also like adequate bandwidth.. 1000 gig?

Pretty much any dedicated provider lets you sell space / BW to others, without it the web hosting would be monopolistic
    --

Forgot.. I would also like adequate bandwidth.. 1000 gig?
    Talking about 1TB Bandwidth (1000GB), your choices will be reduced to:
    Ev1servers
    Servermatrix
    GNAX
    DedicatedNow (NAC)
    Managed
    Nocster

Hope that helps!
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, Telstra SGCS2 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

You must also mention the speed of the connection or chanel (Mbps) you want to have.

Just wondering why you need a Windows server since Linux boxes are normally cheaper, and in my opinion, better.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Just wondering why you need a Windows server since Linux boxes are normally cheaper, and in my opinion, better.
    Just my opinion:
    1. He might be more familar with Windows server as he does not need a managed server.
    2. He might want to run msSQL, ASP & ASP.Net, which Linux is unable to support them.

Of course, I must agree with you. Linux is cheap yet stable

Thanks.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, Telstra SGCS2 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Karl,

Yes.. I agree with you that Linux is cheaper than windows. KKHost is right that I know windows better (I have several years as a LAN/WAN dude) so I can do pretty much anything with a windows box. I'm not ruling out Linux at all.. I just don't have the expertise and would like to have an unmanaged Linux box as well... I just need to become more familiar with it in the near term before I take that on.

yea.. I would like as much bandwidth as I could get.. I do see some out there advertising 1TB.. but, as I said, I'd like to get as much as I can. I'll take less for the right price/company.

Thanks all for your responses!

T

Try ServerMatrix.

Try ServerMatrix.
    I agree with you. Servermatrix has managed solution bundled with their servers. You do not need to take their managed solution if you want to try doing it yourself.

Bandwidth wise, SM offers 1TB/month and that is just nice. Don't be greedy. Look for reliable 1TB/month bandwidth but not unstable 10TB/month bandwidth

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.. I'll check some of these out.

T

Re: Advice for dedicated server service

Originally posted by Theeda

• I'm looking for a windows box, not rock-bottom cheap (we get what we pay for), but reasonably priced.
    • I'm not looking for managed services.
    • Prefer windows 2000, but will take 2003, (have heard war stories regarding w2k3, so I'd like to stay with 2k).
    • Plenty of bandwidth and disk, and reasonable upgrade options.
    • Good customer service, and quick turn-around time on trouble tickets.

you are just asking me to point you to one place with all the above

www.servermatrix.com ONLY
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by KKHost.Net
    Talking about 1TB Bandwidth (1000GB), your choices will be reduced to:
    Ev1servers
    Servermatrix
    GNAX
    DedicatedNow (NAC)
    Managed
    Nocster

Hope that helps!
    GNAX and DedicatedNow both limit their 1000GB bandwidth to 500GB IN + 500GB OUT, though they both are very good providers.

Managed.com doesn't offer Windows servers, and I'd stay away from them right now - Just read this forum to find out why. ServerMatrix offers some awesome deals on Windows hosting - I'd definitely recommend checking them out.

-Josh

Theeda, maybe you should get more familiar with Linux, just get a Linux box with a CP and find a friend who knows Linux well. Whenever you have a problem, tell them what it is and have them walk you through fixing it. You learn more about Linux and have a better and cheaper setup. Sounds like a win-win to me. Any downtime from you not knowing how to use Linux as well should be easily made up by the fact that Linux is more stable :-) We've had a single Windows server, and at the time we had about a dozen Linux servers, that single Windows box had a lower load, but crashed more often than any of the Linux boxes.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Again, thanks all for the suggestions! They are truly appreciated.

I'll check out servermatrix as well.

karl, upon looking around a bit more today, I have come to the conclusion that you, and others who have recommended that I look into Linux anyway, are right. The Linux solutions are cheaper to get up and running and cheaper to maintain.

Windows boxes are expensive due to the extra licensing fees, and if I wanted to have SQL server as well whoa boy.. I need to come up with bucks to get on windows box off the ground.

I do have "some" unix skills.. it's just that I wasn't as comfortable with unix as I was with windows.. after seeing and comparing the advantages of going with Linux.. I'll make myself up to speed on Linux.

anyway, I'll check out servermatrix tomorrow, as well as some of the others that the group referred me to.

Thanks all!
    T

Hi Theeda,
    Don't forget we at WHT are always ready to help the others!

Just let us know if you have any doubts while managing your own server.

All the best!

What would you guys recommend.. Red Hat Linux, or Red Hat Enterprise? Some people are charging more for RHE.. any reason why I would want to go Enterprise?

Also, someone PM'd me and said that they recommend that I go with Fedora? hmm.. not familiar with the different flavors of *nix.

Thanks again fellas.. your comments and advice have been greatly appreciated!

T

Red face

If you have tough budget, take risk to get server from managed.com. Otherwise, pay little extra for stable server from servermatrix.com. If you need fastest support, then get it from EV.
    Henry

What would you guys recommend.. Red Hat Linux, or Red Hat Enterprise? Some people are charging more for RHE.. any reason why I would want to go Enterprise?
    RH9 is going EOL on April 2004. After that, you have to get the security patches from 3rd party companies like progeny.

RHEL is a replacement with enhancement for RH9. I would recommend it if budget is not a matter for you.

As for Fedora... I would recommend you to use RH9 than Fedora. Fedora's EOL is simply too short.

Thanks.

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    that single Windows box had a lower load, but crashed more often than any of the Linux boxes.
    I don't wish to get into a my OS is better than yours, but i have to add that these days the Base OS (Win2k3 & Win2k) is a lot more stable than most people realise. We've got hundreds of Windows boxes that, bar reboots for patches, would be recording 1 year plus uptime or more, that would have been unthinkable just a few short years ago with M$ OS's. You'll usually find that it's third party products that cause the bulk of the problems.. M$ seem to have (in the main) sorted the Base OS out. I think a lot of that could be due to the fact that most software for Windows isn't open source, therefore you have hundreds of software houses selling shite that just wouldn't make it as a piece of software in the Linux/BSD world, or which would have been taken and improved upon (until stable) by others.

Don't missunderstand though, i'm certainly not anti Linux.. I've also used (and programmed on) *nix and lots of variants since the '80's
    ••• Mark Castle •••
    ••• www.captivereality.com •••
    ••• domainlabs.uk •••
    My views are my own and not those of my company.