ProFTPd and Shortcuts

I'm a bit new to Linux, and definitly ProFTPd. After a few hours, I figured out how make users for the ftp, and it gives them a home directory.

Want I want to do is just be able to give my ftp users access to ceartin folders (or files would be better).

For example I want them to be able to access "filename.txt" in root/application/server/filename.txt

I would much prefer that they don't access the whole folder, but only be able to edit and change this file. How would I do this?

I figured out how to do it with "ln -s" though since I created it through root, when I try and access the directory through my ftp user, it acts as a file instead of a link.

Though the link works perfectly in root.

Any help?

Uh, please be more spefic, post an ls -al of the file and what it does when you try it through FTP

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Mar 19 01:45 server.cfg -> /root/hlds1/hlds_l/cstrike/server.cfg

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Mar 19 02:16 cstrike -> /root/hlds1/hlds_l/cstrike

Those are the ls -al. I tried it with both, what happens is the ftp says either "550 File Not found" or "Permission Denied". Right now it's saying 550 cstrike: No such file or directory.

Though the link works perfectly when I login ssh (under root). It failes under ftp with a non-root user.

Sorry if I sound really new to this, I'm not sure if that's specific enough? Usually I try and figure out these things on my own, but I'm unable too.
    Last edited by Mysteerie; 03-18-2004 at 03:14 PM.

Looks like you intend to run gameservers as root.

BAD BAD BAD

Here is a better idea:

Make your accounts as users under /home. Then, no symlinking necessary.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"