Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone offer 24/7 phone support any more?

The question says it all.

Trouble tickets are great - and many hosting services respond promptly.

However - what about when they're suffering a DOS attack, some construction crew cut the incoming fiber, or whatever - IOW, you can't get ahold of them through the internet.

Trouble tickets are no help there. And if you need to know why your site is down and when it will be back up, you need to talk to someone. I have some customer sites in this category.

Another case - this morning one site had a billing problem. This isn't the first time it's happened, and it's stopping me from creating a mysql database. The last time it happened (last week!), it took three days to correct. Three days later, it happened again. I wanted to talk to someone to get it fixed NOW - and ensure it didn't happen again. After several automated holds, the system told me no one was available and tried to roll me over to voicemail Unfortuantely, the voicemail box was full.

So, I submitted a high priority trouble ticket. Several hours later, it remains unanswered.

Needless to say - this isn't working for me. At some point I need to be able to talk to someone.

So - do any of these exist any more?

I can tell you one thing - before I change to another hosting company, I'm going to check out their support line to see if it's really answered!

Jerry
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

Lots of companies offer 24/7 phone support, and some even actually provide it.
    Just be prepared to pay the premium price that goes with premium services.

Blue sums it up, 24/7 phone support that is always available doesn't come at bargain basment prices.

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    Blue sums it up, 24/7 phone support that always available doesn't come at bargain basment prices.
    I know many places that suck that have 24/7 support. They employee bottom-end skill that can reset passwords or read back account info, but above that nothing can be done. So I guess the point is that even though it is 24/7, it really isn't when the people there have to wait till the skilled personnel come in 8 - 5.

Also, many places outsource after hours to other countries. India for example. So sometimes you get support from someone you can't understand. Happened to me one time calling Dell before they pulled support back to the US. The Indian guy was friendly and really wanted to help, but I only could get 40% of what he was saying due to his accent.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    I know many places that suck that have 24/7 support. They employee bottom-end skill that can reset passwords or read back account info, but above that nothing can be done. So I guess the point is that even though it is 24/7, it really isn't when the people there have to wait till the skilled personnel come in 8 - 5.

Also, many places outsource after hours to other countries. India for example. So sometimes you get support from someone you can't understand. Happened to me one time calling Dell before they pulled support back to the US. The Indian guy was friendly and really wanted to help, but I only could get 40% of what he was saying due to his accent.
    Point made and taken...

There are many places that offer 24/7 emergency support via telephone.,
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Thanks, all.

Yes, I know 24/7 support costs, and I won't find it in the $3.95/mo, hosting plans.

However, I have yet to find someone who claims to provide the support AND REALLY DOES IT!

I agree some SAY they provide it. And some even have a person on the other end of the line - ignore the fact the person couldn't pass the Turing Test.

I'll try posting a request in the appropriate section. However, when I did it last fall, I got responses like "We offer 24/7 phone support. You leave a message and we'll respond within 24 hours...".

Thanks again.
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

You may also want to call them a few times yourself at different times of the day (and night) and see if whoever answers the phone sounds like they could really help you...

I don't think you can post requests at WHT any longer, you can review some of the offers down there though.

Yes, I just found that out when I tried to find the Requests section.

Ah well... probably just as good, anyway. I got way too many "junk" replies, including some outright lies.
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

The requests forum has been substituted by the quote/leads system: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

Try that one, but do your own thorough research on each company. Good luck!

I'd like to provide 24/7 support but it's too pricey right now. Most of my clients are local businesses who normally call me or e-mail me during the day anyway though.

Justin

just before you get their plan, call the up and make sure the guy on their end can Speak English! I was hosting with a company and I had to repeat myself like 20 times and then he had to repeat it couple times before we could move on to the next sentence. Rather choose email support in that case....

Good Luck,
    Kevin

Thanks to all who responded.

I've entered a request; we'll see what I get for responses.

Thanks again.
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

Well heres one way to look at it:
    Do the math!
    24hrs a day x 30 days a month = 720 hours per month
    720hrs x $15/hr (price for someone competent) = $10,800/month
    $10,800 x # of employees (5?) = $54,000/mo
    + a legit office ($3000/mo) =
    $57,000 per month for true 24/7 support with 5 employees working the phones

Think of your run-of-the-mill hosting plan for $4.95/month...
    They would have to have at least 11,515 customers.

Thats if the management is working for free. I doubt any of them would be able to sleep at night knowing their tech support team is making more than them.

Adding managing salaries of $15,000/mo (split up) would bring the total up to $72,000 per month.

That would take at least 15,000 customers to just cover costs. Bringing the employee to customer ratio to: 3000 to 1 - Not good numbers!!
    **These calculations are very conservative and do not include credit card processing fees and fraud!**

Thus I think I have effectively proved why true 24/7 tech support isn't out there much. If it is, you pay for it!

Thanks for your time.... Let me know if there are any mistakes in my calculations!
    --Ryan--

Ryan,

I think you have your math off a bit, there really was no need to multiply the 10800 * 5, you are already covering your 24/7 operation.... if you need 5 employees, fine, you'd be at: 2160 per employee.
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

You can insert any number you want in that employee number. I was just using 5 employees for illustrative purposes. Hence the "(5?)". I was assuming you would want more than one person answering the phones to avoid long wait times...

The number of employees is irrelevant. The total would still be $10,800/month to have the phones manned 24/7.

Ryan,

As Taylor indicated, your math is off. But also - you forgot a few key factors - like unemployment insurance and workmans' comp (required in every state I know of), liability, E&O and a bunch of other insurances. Also benefits like health insurance, vacations, training, supplies, pension or other retirement plan, and a huge number of other things.

However - WHERE DID I SAY I WANTED ALL THIS FOR $4.95/mo.?

I dare say I have probably been around longer than you; I started in IT with IBM in 2977 and have had my own consulting business since 1990. I know what support costs.

Oh, and BTW, you won't get anyone competent for $15/hr. You'll get someone who can (barely) answer the phone.
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

I think we are OFF the subject

Well jstuckle,
    I was doing this for fun just to run the numbers for myself, and thought I would share it with the forums. I was not personally commenting on your experience, but doing the math for the many hosts I have seen for $4.95/mo offering 24/7 support. Might want to lay off being so defensive and rude to me when someone is trying to help out wht. That is pretty immature to point out you have probably been in business longer than me. Thats sort of like saying "my dad can beat up your dad" in kindergarden. I left out taxes which could be up to 50% in California, not to mention all the fees you described. Im just having some fun. Dont s**t a brick reading this post.
    --Ryan--

Ryan,

No, I think it was rather rude of you to tell me I can't get it for $4.95 per month.

I had never indicated I wanted cheap hosting, and your comment was quite insulting. You assumed I knew nothing about what I was speaking.

I merely pointed out I probably have more experience than you - and probably know better what I am asking.
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

Ryan was just pointing out the reason it is hard to find 24/7 support like that in hosting.

Chris,

And I just pointed out I'm not a naive newbie.
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

But here are some hosts with 24/7 phone support

http://www.verio.com/ (i think)
    http://www.superb.net/
    http://www.valueweb.com/

Originally posted by adaptivehost
    Well heres one way to look at it:
    Do the math!
    24hrs a day x 30 days a month = 720 hours per month
    $10,800 x # of employees (5?) = $54,000/mo
    + a legit office ($3000/mo) =
    $57,000 per month for true 24/7 support with 5 employees working the phones

Think of your run-of-the-mill hosting plan for $4.95/month...
    They would have to have at least 11,515 customers.

Thats if the management is working for free. I doubt any of them would be able to sleep at night knowing their tech support team is making more than them.

Adding managing salaries of $15,000/mo (split up) would bring the total up to $72,000 per month.

That would take at least 15,000 customers to just cover costs. Bringing the employee to customer ratio to: 3000 to 1 - Not good numbers!!
    **These calculations are very conservative and do not include credit card processing fees and fraud!**

Thus I think I have effectively proved why true 24/7 tech support isn't out there much. If it is, you pay for it!

Thanks for your time.... Let me know if there are any mistakes in my calculations!
    --Ryan--
    lol 5 employees.... you honestly think you'd need 5 employees for a hosting company at 3:00am in the morning?

1 would be more than enough during the night. My friend works as a telephone billing support agent for Verizon. She works with 1 other lady, and combined, they handle just under 300 calls per day. They do all the billing for verizon western canada themselves.

Anyways, I also believe $15 US an hour is a bit much. I'd be willing to work for that in CDN dollars, if someone in B.C. could offer me decent hours (mons-thurs, 11pm to 7am.... or 1am to 9am. Anyone?).
    Sincerely,
    - StarGhost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast