potential legal issues?

Hypothetically...

Let's say I were to make and sell TShirts that simply read: "Gates Blows"

Obviously, the intention/assumption everyone would have would be Bill Gates, but it couldn't be proven of course that the shirts intended him.

Could this lead to legal issues?

-I'm not really using Gates, but another well known public figure.

-Also, the shirts I'm looking at aren't as offensive as "X Blows"

If you have doubts, why waste your time and resources going through with it?

And I would stay away from any political figure, especially if it's the President.

Originally posted by Rob83
    If you have doubts, why waste your time and resources going through with it?

And I would stay away from any political figure, especially if it's the President.
    Exactly, well said.

If you were to make shirts that said "Gates blows", and 'hyptothetically' he DID sue you, would you have the money and time to defend yourself? Or would you just go ahead and close your operation? Think about it.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

don't do it, you may run into some legal hassles.

"If you have doubts, why waste your time and resources going through with it?"

because sometimes risks pay.

Anyway, perhaps a defamation of character was a bad example...what if it were more something like:

"I defeated Tyson"

Why don't you put a "I think" infront of whatever. Which simply identifies the wording as an opinion in my case
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

Originally posted by JWise
    Why don't you put a "I think" infront of whatever. Which simply identifies the wording as an opinion in my case
    Haha I like your idea.

"I think I defeated Tyson" LOL
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

If you are thinking of producing a product, why don't you speak with an attorney about this matter? I'm sure they would know a lot more then most of the members here. "Web Hosting" talk.
    Don't look for a way out.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it to much, there COULD be legal issues, but i remember people at the flea markets selling all kinds of T-Shirts about Clinton and many other people back in the day..

I don't think the the "Gates Blows" T-Shirts will grow to a business that microsoft will ever notice or even know about to worry about the legal issues. But like others have said your best bet, just ask a lawyer..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I *think* Mike Tyson can always come back and whoop your a55

Dang duplicate.

There are satire and parody laws that protect you from being sued. Just look around at some of the political cartoonists and the stuff they get up to (in england atleast not sure about the US - what you're suggesting is incredibly tame by comparison)

In the U.S. satire and parody is protected by the first amendment:

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/...=parody_satire

I'm sure it'll be documented somewhere exactly what you can and can't get away with. Do a google search for 'satire parody law' and you'll find loads of links.