Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Build your own data center :s

Hi guyz,

I really need you to help me out here. The thing is, that in my country we have 2 datacenters, one that is TOO expensive to colocate in , and another one that is sort of "There but not actually there" in a sense that you have to be "SOMEONE" to go there and ask for their services etc...

What i'm concerned at now, is bulding my own datacenter, and since we have an internet free zone, it shouldnt cause problems with out monopolistic ISP. Problem is that, i have no idea where to get the connections from, and how will the connections run through to the rest of the world. I mean could a data center run on sattelite internet, or is that to vague? if not, then how will the cabling be done, etc... I am sure you guyz got me? however if you didnt, my whole point is thinking outside the DC, since the inside equipment and hardware is no problem for me. In other words how to get the datacenter connected online.

Not to forget, i am from the United Arab Emirates. Plus to get everything clear, the ISP wont provide us with connections.

Thanks guyz

What exactly do you mean ISP wont provide us with connections.

You shouldnt plan on running a datacenter with satellite.

Expect to get at least a T3 for your datacenter to start, but from what you wrote I doubt you can get that.

It may be your best bet to just lease servers from a provider in the US or UK.

What is your budget? I wouldnt even consider starting a datacenter of professional quality unless you budget is up in the millions.

If you do have the money to start one, there are many things you must consider such as connectivity, staff, equipment, security, backup, disaster recovery, and the list goes on.

As far as connectivity goes, I don't think sattelite internet would be the best choice. Most datacenters go fiber optic pipes. Depending on what speed you need it to be, those connections can range from $5000/month to $50000/month.

Ill leave the rest of the explanation to someone more experienced than me at running a datacenter.
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

What i meant is that our ISP will not provide me with internet backbones to run my own DC, and as you both said sattelite isnt a choice.

Well if i want to lease a DC somewhere in the US or UK, i would do that, but i was concerned on building one here. Budget isnt the problem now.

Why won't the ISP lease connections to you? I would think that if you were paying them, they wouldn't care who they give the lines to...

Create a business plan, that is the first thing you need to do

satelite isnt an option due to latency, your ispprobably wont lease you connections because it doesnt like competition and you live in a country where this kind of business is legal. Thats pretty unfortunate, can you lease t1 lines? a few datacentres use satellite for backup but its rarely if ever used for main transit.
    If you have a serious amount of money, and were not talking a few hundred thousand, were talking tens of millions of usd \ gbp then you could lay in your own fiber to neighbouring countries possibly but you would quite drankly have to bribe a hell of a lot of people to make this happen and you would probably be better off just buying the damn isp .
    I would humbly suggest that if the dc is too expensive to colocate in and your living in that kind of area then you cannot afford to compete.
    --
    Rich

In a country where the monopolies are that tight, I would reckon that you could get away with a bit of latency. I've seen companies in places such as Tanzania doing quite well with their 400ms satellite

DeathNova,

Hehe, I was going to make references to something very similar, thanks for pointing that out.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

I'm guessing this guy is in the oil business?
    As my title says, I'm a wannabe.

Give Level3 a call. In the past when I was talking to them, I somewhat remembered them saying they have OC3 going to that place you have mentioned. But honestly, transit is going to cost you a hell lot.

hi guyz,

Thanks for all the help.
    I wanted to say that i found out that we only have one internet backbone provider in the UAE, although this information is confidential i was able to get it out, its called "amex", not sure of the exact spelling though; has any one heard of this company?

www.emix.ae Emirates Internet Exchange is the only DC in the gulf area and they provide kuwait/bahrain/qatar/oman/yemen with the connectivity to the world.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

hi bashar,

thank you for the good information, that helped a lot.
    However amix is not the only DC in the UAE, we also have the Internet City free zone, but again they charge like AED150/GB of transfer per month; thats $41/GB/Month. Now you guyz understand my concern? its impossible to colocate a server here.

its almost impossible to host servers in most arab world, its 100 times expensive than the states.

u can even see UK its bit expensive than US

the far you go the more expensive it is.

btw exim is the main provider where eim.ae and dic.ae take their uplink from, even here in kuwait and other gulf countries take their uplink via emix.

emix owns it all
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

lol, emix gota go DOWN ... but if emix goes down, we all go down ...

Seriously this should change, emix is controlling the region. I cant imagine a 2Mbps line costing AED 22,000 per month...

were building the worlds tallest building, and already own the world first two man-made artificial islands, and also own the most luxurious hotel etc... if i continue, i wont ever stop, BUT<< we arent looking at the correct side, where is the internet going here?? ...

hehe, exactly if emix goes down the whole region will go down!

i think we have to wait for 10 more years to reach 1/2 pricing what US got now

Originally posted by Aboul_YouseF
    were building the worlds tallest building, and already own the world first two man-made artificial islands, and also own the most luxurious hotel etc... if i continue, i wont ever stop, BUT<< we arent looking at the correct side, where is the internet going here?? ...
    Sounds like your organization probably has sufficient resources to do their connectivity research on forums other than WHT. :-)

How big are these artificial islands? The Chesapeake Bay bridge includes some artificial islands to support the tunnel entrances, which were constructed to ensure Naval access to the bay/Atlantic Ocean in the event of a bridge collapse.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Jeff,

I think he may be talking about his country,
    saying they are doing this and that but internet access is still far to costly...

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

I saw one of those islands on TLC with a hotel with a gold lobby or something..
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

They are called the Palm Islands, since they take the shape of a PALM, they could also be seen from the moon with a naked eye , GUYZ! arent we outa topic ...

Anyways, could any one give me a nice list of Internet backbone providers in the US, because im going through the process of contacting them.

The companies you want to contact are the few with global transport infrastructure. AT&T, MCI, Sprint, Global Crossing, NTT, Qwest -- I believe these are the folks who can be of use to you. You should research European carriers as well, and perhaps get in touch with some brokers who deal in the arabian market.

Folks who have worked in large corporations' I.T. departments dealing with their internal communications systems (phones, network, etc) will also be knowledgable. If your project has funding and you wish to be successful, you will need to hire or at least contract someone with a good deal of experience in your region.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Thanks man,

that information is sure going to prove value to me.

Aboul_YouseF,

PM me shortly please.

Palm Island is truly an amazing project, but it dose not suprise me ... UAE is truly a magical place to visit.

On topic, seems like emix have monopolised the market ... as soon as other start popping up it will only be a matter of time before it gets competertive.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

http://www.palmisland.co.ae/

so how amazing from the the moment they started building it.

Holy smoke, i never knew there was an island like this in the world.

money talks dude

10 billion usd i think or something

and other tallest building on earth is being built as we speak, check it out by 2007

Where is the building? I didnt see it, i might be talking of something else but i know there is a "6-star" Hotel on top on a man made island.
    I watched the contruction of it in the DIscovery Channel
    Tiger Woods was there recently driving some balls on top of a Helicopter Pad. It was so awesome, i hope to travel there someday

Wow, that is pretty incredible. Perhaps, if I am lucky enough, I will get to travel and enjoy these islands some day
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

actually its the world's First 7-star hotel, and yes its built on an island, connected through a bridge to land, it costed around $1 Billion.

BTW the palm islands are two islands not one, but whats even more amazing, is that their constructing arounf 250 artificial islands, that would take the shape of the world map, how great is that??

Another thing i forgot to mention is the Dubai Land, its probably the biggest project of its kind, its a disney World KILLER, its just kills everything, there they would build the worlds biggest shopping mall, where a 12-lane high-way passes right throught it, they actually say that it would take you 1-month+ to visit the whole MALL. included in the Dubai Land, is also the biggest sports complex in the world, consisting of F1 racing tracks, plus about 3-4 Olympic sized stadiums , and before i forget a 17-story artificial Ice mountain, for those SKI lovers out there. UH... im tired of mentioning them, this is like just %1 of whats there.

http://www.dubailand.ae

They say that the planning for this new city, including building roads, high-ways etc. costed arounf $18 Billion, if not more.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 7 star.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Thumbs up, bashar ...

Double Thumbs up, Bashar :-)

I am on my way

i'd say WHT ppl gather and donate for biggest suite costs $10,000/night and the King of Brunei is the only person who reserved it so far.

i was there a year ago (was staying at emirates towers) they give you a passport to visit their hotels for free, can you imagen their lowest lemo was BMW L7 -> Rolls Royce and for suites they send you a helicopter to pick you up from the airport!, totally amazing.

lol guys aren't we WAY out of the topic ?

7 star hotel... *drools*

Visited their website, simply amazing.

BTW we reserved the $10,000 Suite, about 3 years ago, in the Dubai Shopping Festival , it was a bit cheaper about AED 35,000 , or $ 35,000/3.68. It AMAZING, its more of a house, 2-floored, all wireless internet connectivity, jackusy (forget my spelling)..

Bashar, that was the second best part of the day, the best part was when we got mohammed abdo to sing there .... LOL, im out of my mind .... AND<<< out of topic.

Hehe the worse part of burj el arab , is the parking, it costs an outsider to pay approximately( if i remember) AED 500/HR, or again $ 500/3.68 ...

take me next time when you go will ya?

Seriously, i think its a rip off, i like my house much more than that lol....

Ok. Ok. come on guyz, we should either change the topic back to what we were speaking about, OR get this thread moved somewhere else. ...:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast