FYI, 9 bucks a click...

iPowerweb is bidding over 9 bucks at Overture to get the #1 'sponsored' link on the word 'hosting' at Yahoo. If you go to Yahoo, search on 'hosting' and if you click on iPowerweb? $9.

That click costs more than a month of their lousy hosting. Not saying you *should* do it, just telling you how much they're bidding.

Overture sucks big time. Google adwords is better
    Domain Maven

only $9?
    Yeah, it looks like every money they have they spend it on advertising. You'll find their name all over the net. It'd hire more people for support with some of those money if I were them... but I'm not.

Not saying you *should* do it, just telling you how much they're bidding.
    I don't think most hosts on these boards would even think about paying that much for a click...

Still $9 bucks a click. Interesting info for hosts to know anyway.

9 bucks a click??? wow...
    why is it so much?

There are a LOT of web hosting companies. With a lot of competition, the price increases.
    Joe
    http://www.allin1websolutions.com
    All in 1 Web Solutions LLC

i've only heard of 15 cents max...
    this is ridiculus...
    o well
    lucky yahoo!

9 bucks!!!!!! wow......how many customers to you have to convert to break even

There are much more expensives:

"dedicated hosting" = 25 bucks a click

"frontpage hosting" = 17.99 bucks a click

"site hosting" = 18.01 bucks a click

Source:
    Overture
    Last edited by hcn; 03-17-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Site hosting...nice! 18 bucks. iPowerweb is #1 on Yahoo there too...seems perhaps they caught wind however - as the link doesn't work...

You clicked on it? I wonder if you cost them a few bucks... LOL

9 bucks!!!!!! wow......how many customers to you have to convert to break even
    I think it's more about branding than about sales. You can see their company listed at the top everywhere.

I doubt they actually pay that, they have some sort of deal with overture, at the moment they're offering $50 free overture credit for signing up.

Incidently $4.01 for the top bid on "ipowerweb" any takers

lol that 50 bucks wont go far, so basically i cost them 9 bucks for every click from a seperate computer? Now ask youself, how evil am i
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by hcn
    There are much more expensives:

"dedicated hosting" = 25 bucks a click

"frontpage hosting" = 17.99 bucks a click

"site hosting" = 18.01 bucks a click

Source:
    Overture
    That is insane. From what I have seen, about 1/11 people that click actually buy.
    - Providing premium web hosting solutions since 2003
    |Managed Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting | Web Design | Server Management |

Well, Overture is pretty highly priced for advertising on Yahoo! per click.

See, if the whole of WHT trys, they can take out most of there advertising budget

Well we only charge upto $6 per click. $9 is kinda high IMHO but not too high if you look at the comptetion in market.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

$9 are one thing, but how about those $18? Obviously it's about branding and putting their name in front of every possible customer. Even if you consider a ceratin lifetime value of a customer and it would still be hard for them to make a profit, especially with the prices they charge. But I guess it also depends on how many websites they cram on a box.

Originally posted by Loon
    I doubt they actually pay that, they have some sort of deal with overture, at the moment they're offering $50 free overture credit for signing up.
    The $50 free credit deal is something I've seen from numerous companies; it's hardly exclusive as I understand it. I'm pretty sure everyone competing for clicks on Overture is paying the stated price - it wouldn't go over very well with the #2 bidder if the #1 bidder is actually getting a 50% discount, would it?

The bidding prices over there are insane. What really surprises me are the companies that periodically dump some money on a pay-per-click engine and pick an arbitrary high per-click rate across the board. On some engines, your payment doesn't get clipped down to one penny above the next bidder... it's a complete waste of money.

Kevin

Originally posted by sigma
    ... it's a complete waste of money.
    Indeed, but it's theirs to spend. It could be used to solve world hunger. But instead I will click anytime I get to a new computer on:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=hos...t&cop=mss&tab=

If you haven't noticed, they make a lot of money and have the money to spend, I'm sure if I was making such money I would pay similar amount, too bad.