What's wrong with Site5?

We have been customers of this company for more than a year, and although the service they offer is good, I have made some strange observations. When there is an upgrade coming or anything like that they warn in advance in a very polite manner, then they send confirmation report after the job is done. When there is a major problem however no one seems to bother answering even the most normal questions like "what is wrong". This is not good. When sites are down people deserve some explanation. Today for example our sites have been down for more than 5 hours (and are still down now!) and despite several e-mails and two pager alarms we still have not received ANY reply.
    This is a bad way to do business!

Agreed. I have a site on one of their servers now and it is down of course. Those little emails they send get really annoying most of the time.

Angry

The sites are online now. After 8 hours of downtime all we recieved was this:

"You should be able to access your account now, but we are investigating
    the cause of the downtime and may need to take the server hosting your
    site down for emergency maintenance a little later today.

Regards,

Suchandra Thapa
    System Administration
    Site5 Internet Solutions, Inc."

And, of course, this letter came AFTER the sites got online. How is it possible to let so many hours pass with a server which is down and still not to have a clue as to the reason. And not even notify the customers during this downtime with one simple "there is a problem - we are fixing it."

Geko / ChrisF79:

The server that both of your sites are located on (katana) experienced software related issues earlier today. Much to our dismay, it took us an extended period of time to troubleshoot & correct the issues this server experienced.

Furthermore, due to the number of clients that wrote in during the issues with this server, we were not able to reply to each ticket immediately (unlike the majority of the time when responses to tickets are made within 15 minutes). As a direct result of the number of emails sent into our support group, replies were delayed--however responses started to go out more quickly once a second system administrator came on shift.

I sincerely apologize if the downtime experienced this morning caused you any inconvenience. If you would like compensation for the downtime in accordance with our uptime policy; please email our shared hosting support group (be sure to include your domain name) and I will apply appropriate service credits to both of your accounts.

I appreciate your patience throughout this server issue and thank you for your continued patronage.
    Todd Mitchell
    General Manager
    ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc. / theplanet.com

You can keep my compensation. The money doesn't really bother me. You should use my contribution to hire more people to help if you are unable to keep up.

Most of the time the e-mail server is located on the same server as the hosting, so when the hosting server goes down, so does the e-mail, however they should at least respond to pagers.

Originally posted by ChrisF79
    You can keep my compensation. The money doesn't really bother me. You should use my contribution to hire more people to help if you are unable to keep up.
    For the very large majority of the time, the number of system administrators working the overnight shift is more than ample for the amount of support requests we receive. However, although rare, certain issues may require our administrators to be away from their desks, on the phone with hardware / software vendors, etc. All of which do unfortunately delay email responses while coordinating & resolving rare critical system issues.

My offer of compensation is open ended. If you change your mind and decide you would like compensation within the next couple of days, please feel free to contact us.
    Todd Mitchell
    General Manager

Originally posted by gghosting
    Most of the time the e-mail server is located on the same server as the hosting, so when the hosting server goes down, so does the e-mail, however they should at least respond to pagers.
    You are making the assumption that our corporate email is hosted on the shared server that had issues earlier today. This assumption is incorrect. Site5's corporate email is housed on an administration server separate from our racks of shared hosting servers.
    Todd Mitchell
    General Manager

I might be wrong Todd, but it would've been much better if you've simply offered a compensation without requiring an action from their part...

It might be that in your TOS a request is required, I don't know, but since you know about their situation it looks odd (to me at least) not to compensate them unless they ask for it.

But then again, it's your business and you run it as you like.

On the bright side, you did offer to compensate them, which is a good thing.

Cheers!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I might be wrong Todd, but it would've been much better if you've simply offered a compensation without requiring an action from their part...

It might be that in your TOS a request is required, I don't know, but since you know about their situation it looks odd (to me at least) not to compensate them unless they ask for it.

But then again, it's your business and you run it as you like.

On the bright side, you did offer to compensate them, which is a good thing.

Cheers!
    Yep, the above is true. It feels weird to have to ask someone to follow his own uptime policy.

I have been with site5 for about six months now, and I can confirm Todd's assertion that responses to tickets are usually made within 15 minutes. Most of the tickets I've sent have been answered in less than five. I had a similar situation in early January where a hardware failure caused some down time spread over a few days. I must have annoyed the heck out of them with *dozens* of emails, and they responded to every one in a timely and professional manner.