Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Registrar Findings

Hello all,

I am currently registerred with a domain registrar company. I currently own a domain name but wish to discard it as I wont make any use of it. However I would also like to register a new domain name with a different registrar after realizing that my old registrar increased their prices.

I was browsing through the forum and found out that namecheap.com has a positive reputation and so does enom and some others, but mostly these seemed to intrigue me. I was familiar with namecheap.com for some time now and would like to know which is the better of the two: enom or namecheap.

Im very positive that namecheap will be the benifactor, but would like to know some of everybodys insights / experiences, before I commit.

Basically the domain name and the website (once hopefully accomplished with a reputable webhost) will be used for personal, business, and studying purposes.

I also know that enom offers a free website of 10 pages for every domain registerred:

"Included with each domain name is a free 10 page website, with the help of our simple to use "WebSite Builder"." - quoted from http://www.enom.com/domains/

Dont know how that will effect in the long-run as free services are not always guaranteed in some form one way or the other.
    I am a foreign student currently studying in the UK and intend to pay via a debit card, hopefully using a Visa-Electron. Otherwise just a standard credit card will do.

Anyways namecheap looks great, if you have any other registrars worth mentioning, please do so.

Thanks in advance.

If you only have a few domains then I suggest you go with namecheap, it's cheap, relaible and easy to use.

I would also like to note and please correct me if I am wrong that Namecheap.com is not an ICANN accredited registrar. Wouldnt it be important / worthwhile if a registrar is ICANN accredited? Maybe for the long term?

I also noticed that Enom.com is an ICANN registrar, which might have a big difference.

Ive read quite alot of disputes between clients and domain name registrars in this forum and having ICANN accreditation might help avoid these kinds of scenarios.

Please provide feedback about this matter where appropriate. I would gladly appreciate any support.

Spacespider, and if I have more domains in interest, what domain registrar would be recommended?

Namecheap is just a reseller for enom, the problem with enom is, that if your paying by credit card you need to deposit $100 minimum with them, you can't just renew your domain for $8.95

Spacespider, would that concept also apply if the domains were to be newly registerred instead of renewing them?

Hmm, a bit of a jargon in that sentence, I hope it makes sense..

Or have I understood the terminology of 'renewing' incorrectly...

BTW, wouldn't it be better to stick with an 'originator', in this case Enom?
    Would this also mean that since Namecheap 'derives' from Enom it would be an accredited registrar? I sense a silly question here.

Namecheap has been around for a while why isnt it accredited with ICANN? and here..
    Last edited by Kriz; 03-16-2004 at 01:34 PM.

namecheap are just another reseller (user) of enoms services
    with namecheap you can register 1 domain and pay for just one
    with an enom retail account you can do the same, *but* it will be at a higher price.

if you're registering 10+ domains, then it's worth getting a free 8.95 enom resller a/c off soemone, depositing the $100 you need to add into the account and you then spend that $100 on the domains as you register (or after 1 year renew) them

namecheap dont "inherit" ICANN accreditation by using enom, just as I dont "inherit" bmw accreditation by selling my used 525
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

you can have enom retail account for $8.14 and doesn't need to be refilled everytime to buy a domain
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Question Where are the enom reseller advantages?

Originally posted by Bashar
    you can have enom retail account for $8.14 and doesn't need to be refilled everytime to buy a domain
    Where do you find an $8.14 retail price listed?
    --------

Still scratching my head over enom domain name reselling. I recently received an $8.95 enom reseller account as part of a new webhost package, however, the price scheme and supposed enom reseller advantages do not make sense to me at all.

Is a deposit ($79? or $100?) required to resell domain names at enom? If so, why would anyone choose this reseller over other registrars that offer less expensive domain name reselling with no upfront deposit at all?
    Last edited by aporia; 03-16-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Originally posted by othellotech
    namecheap dont "inherit" ICANN accreditation by using enom, just as I dont "inherit" bmw accreditation by selling my used 525
    Funny
    Domain Maven

namecheap are just another reseller (user) of enoms services
    with an enom retail account you can do the same, *but* it will be at a higher price.
    So basically,

a) if Im a registered user with enom and wish to register just one domain name using a credit card I would have to first deposit $100?
    But, if I choose to only register one domain then I would have to pay more?

b) what would be the problem if I register one domain after the other with namecheap, instead of using Enom's retail account?

othellotech, what domain registrar do you use? If you dont mind me asking

I also was reading this thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=248262
    Assuming Namecheap (reseller) drops out, or raises its prices (unlikely, but who knows. Policies *can* change), as described in some scenarios in that thread, then my account/domain will be at risk. Mentioning this wouldnt it be better to register with a reliable domain registrar like Enom?
    Last edited by Kriz; 03-16-2004 at 06:14 PM.

Re: Where are the enom reseller advantages?

Originally posted by aporia
    Still scratching my head over enom domain name reselling. I recently received an $8.95 enom reseller account as part of a new webhost package, however, the price scheme and supposed enom reseller advantages do not make sense to me at all.

Is a deposit ($79? or $100?) required to resell domain names at enom? If so, why would anyone choose this reseller over other registrars that offer less expensive domain name reselling with no upfront deposit at all?
    First, where is your ETP with the support to get you on your feet?

Second, the initial deposit via credit card is $100 less 3% whish leaves you $97.

Third, why eNom? I did my research for almost a year before I finally dove in and I will tell you that I went with eNom because of their versatility and stability. Besides, if I have a serious issue that needs to be resolved I can jump on a plane and fly to WA. Not so with some of the cheaper reseller packages.

Originally posted by Kriz
    a) if Im a registered user with enom and wish to register just one domain name using a credit card I would have to first deposit $100?

b) what would be the problem if I register one domain after the other with namecheap, instead of using Enom's retail account?

Assuming Namecheap (reseller) drops out, or raises its prices (unlikely, but who knows. Policies *can* change), as described in some scenarios in that thread, then my account/domain will be at risk. Mentioning this wouldnt it be better to register with a reliable domain registrar like Enom? [/B]
    answers:
    a) yes if you are a reseller. No if you have a retail account.

b) then you would have a retail account with namecheap, an eNom reseller. There are cheaper resellers out there though.

Concerning your last comment/question. IMO the warm and fuzzy you want is to have a retail account directly under eNom. Thats ok and free I might add. "But" you don't want to pay $29.95 to eNom? Then find an eNom reseller who has cheap prices, create another account with them at the "cheap" prices, register/renew your domains with the cheap account and push them back to your "original" eNom account. I do this with my sub-accounts all the time. Catch? Registerfly and Namecheap don't allow you to push between eNom accounts only internal to their own systems.

PM if you have questions and I will try to answer as best I can.

Re: Where are the enom reseller advantages?

Originally posted by acts837
    First, where is your ETP with the support to get you on your feet?

Second, the initial deposit via credit card is $100 less 3% whish leaves you $97. . .
    I have no problem with ETP support in describing the process. I just don't understand yet what makes enom so appealing as a domain name registrar. Before plopping down a $100 cc deposit (worth $97), I want to know why enom is such a good choice, what value it has over other registrars, and what I might gain (or lose) by working through an $8.95 enom reseller plan.

Well..

If I only want to register 1 to 5 domains for personal use then this means I dont want to be a reseller. The purpose of registerring a domain or two (not even more than 3) is to have an appropriate website up and running.

If a reseller means someone/organization/company/etc who is selling domains on behalf of another registrar (with their own services, offers and etc, or something like that) then that is not what I am trying to do.

All I want to do is find a descent domain registrar to register my ONE domain. Maybe a 2nd one in some near future (not any time soon), but for now only one.

Enom sounds a little too expensive for £29 a year when other resellers like Namecheap are offering lower.

I just want to know if it will be worth it in the long-run to register with a registrar like Namecheap or alike.

Another issue is (i) if (after I register my domain name with an appropriate registrar), will I be able to transfer this domain name to another registrar without much hassle/cost? I hear Namecheap offers this feature, could be very wrong about this.
    Anyhow I think this issue (i) is influenced with the actual price you pay when registerring a domain name. Basically, the cheaper you pay, the less guarantee of services will occur. Could be wrong here too.

Please enlighten me

why did we choose enom - stability - been around for a while, plenty of domains under their control, icann regsitered, reasonable price even though we dont *actually* want any of the features beyond simple regsitration - we run our own dns etc

Kriz :: just pick wisely - there are *many* threads about cheapo this and cutpricethat as registration agents, however they *often* come with catches
    - you cant transfer without large penalties, sending certified letters and a copy of your driving licence etc.
    or they simply go bust and you cant manage your domain at all.
    or they're unscrupulous and sell your domain to someone who offers them cash
    or ...

why do we recommend enom - never had a problem that couldnt simply be fixed by support

what it sounds like you need is a nice straight fwd retail a/c to buy a few domains, and namecheap as an enom reseller is fine for that
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Go with namecheap, they're a good registrar/reseller. You won't need to transfer as once you've set the dns on the domains you have you won't need to touch it again. But if you do want to transfer out then you have to wait 2 months after you've bought the domain to be able to transfer it. All registrars have this limitation though.

transfer requires you wait 60 days but you can push a domain between eNom accounts with no waiting.

othellotech - not all discount resellers have catches. I would never dream of charging for a customer transfering their domain away. I have heard it happen though.

Assuming the domain name (after the website has been implemented) becomes a major business influence. Are registrars like Namecheap worth having as a registrar to that type of domain?

To cut to the chase; What types of domain registrars do companies within the import/export industry register with? Is Namecheap reliable for this type of scenario?

Spacespider said something about being able to change the DNS settings for the website to the appropriate webhost. But what if the registrar for unknown circumstances becomes unreliable or even 'unfair' with the domain name. Or is this unlikely with a company like Namecheap or any registrar/reseller alike?

*** 'unfair' ***, very simple example: becomes greedy after learning that they could raise their prices realizing what the domain name is all about to make a profit for their own interests

Originally posted by Kriz
    But what if the registrar for unknown circumstances becomes unreliable or even 'unfair' with the domain name. . .

*** 'unfair' ***, very simple example: becomes greedy after learning that they could raise their prices realizing what the domain name is all about to make a profit for their own interests
    Kriz, in my own experience and from what I can tell in reading the WHT forums, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done to stop unscrupulous registrars from locking down your domain or registering it in their own name. ICANN is a legitimate accrediting organization but seems to have very little (or no) legal power to stop registrars from refusing transfers, changing policies, and charging ridiculous rates.

Better to go with a domain name registry with a reliable reputation and years of good business practice or you may end up on the wrong side of the Web as "a place where you find every kind of fraud, deceit, obscenity and insanity" (Opinion. New York Times. 27 Feb 04).

aporia, you have some valid points but I don't understand when you say "registering in their own name" Just an example, if a person registers a domain with one of the many eNom resellers and has access to the control panel with user id and pwd, then explain to me how it could be taken away from you (excluding illegal acts and such)?

Originally posted by acts837
    aporia, you have some valid points but I don't understand when you say "registering in their own name" Just an example, if a person registers a domain with one of the many eNom resellers and has access to the control panel with user id and pwd, then explain to me how it could be taken away from you (excluding illegal acts and such)?
    Good question. Access is the critical issue here. Domain name registries can be blocked easily by web menus that don't work -- either because of malfunctions, deliberatre changes in username or password, or simply by suspending an account (for whatever reason).

There are a whole lot of examples of blocked access like this you can find through a search in other WHT threads. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with one myself right now here. Knowing that this kind of web behaviour is not uncommon underscores the need for careful selection based on your own research and often some trial and error.

I see your issue. They are using DRAMS. I also have an install of DRAMS. One issue I have, that I "don't" like, is that your situation when you registered the domain through a DRAMS interface you only have access through DRAMS and not eNom themselves. Although the whois will reflect you as the owner, the domain itself is dumped in the resellers eNom aqccount with full control. Not so with Registry Rocket or PDQ. The user has full rights. This verifies my stance that hosting and domain registration should never be with the same party. They should be kept seperate under all costs. Yes there are many hosts out there who would never block someones domain if the paid for it. But this is a general rule i have.

It's helpful to know this limitation of DRAMS. In my recent attempt to regain domain name access, the member login itself was blocked on DRAMS with an "Incorrect password, or account suspended" error message. Curiously, the whois information from the DRAMS account was listed as the reseller company owner but it displayed correctly from a whois lookup inside enom.

This verifies my stance that hosting and domain registration should never be with the same party. They should be kept seperate under all costs. Yes there are many hosts out there who would never block someones domain if the paid for it. But this is a general rule i have.
    My own recent experience is an example of what can happen with hosting and domain name registration at the same place. I don't think it is always the case that it will go badly, but it does make it easier for it to happen.

I would add that it is especially important to avoid taking any "free domain name" when checking out a new webhost. If you accept it and then decide not to stay with the host, you are stuck with a domain name that you may not be able to use but will have to pay for anyway at the reseller's rate. Every webhost I have seen with a free domain name offer has some kind of "gotcha" clause in their terms of service, that is, the name is only "free" if you stay with that particular host for an entire contract period.
    Last edited by aporia; 03-17-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast