Thumbs down Designer gone missing

Hey guys.

Posted a request in WHT awhile back requesting for a designer to do my logo and business card. Was introduced to this "TheAlanFella" guy from some WHT people, and gave him the deal. I paid, he finished the logo and business card. HOWEVER, the business card wasnt suitable for printing as it doesnt have a high-enough resolution. Got back to him, he said he would do it soon.

And ever since, he's been missing and i cant get him, thus delaying my printing of business cards. He comes from
    www.true-media.co.uk .

Hate it that i have to post such stuff, but anyone know how else i can get hold of him ?

Thanks

sounds a little shify, looks like he just decided to run off *I could be wrong*..........

Some people may suggest you do a charge back (if you paid by credit card) but since he completed the job that wouldn't be right and it may be to late to do that anyway......

The guy could not be from True Media. Just my "suspicion" though.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

Well he was 'recommended' by some members of WHT, and the email that i sent the paypal money to was a true-media.co.uk email....

I paid through paypal.... As long as back to Jan 2004

There is a Customer Service phone for his paypal account...
    Customer Service Phone: +44 02890123456

I wonder what i can do with it but i dont stay in his country

have you / will you try calling him? Just be ready to pay the STD charges

Originally posted by ToOnZ
    Well he was 'recommended' by some members of WHT, and the email that i sent the paypal money to was a true-media.co.uk email....

I paid through paypal.... As long as back to Jan 2004

There is a Customer Service phone for his paypal account...
    Customer Service Phone: +44 02890123456

I wonder what i can do with it but i dont stay in his country
    I live in England(+44) and thats like no number i have ever seen.

Just tried calling it actually, didn't work.

Thanks vengeful for trying to help....seems like this deal is screwed

Ill have to get another guy to design my business card then, or find someone who can convert the current design to higher resolution...

Any recommendations (again) ?

Originally posted by vengeful
    I live in England(+44) and thats like no number i have ever seen.

Just tried calling it actually, didn't work.
    for international call 011 > country code 44< that is for international calling or so it seems...

so if you live outside UK you would need to call 011+44>rest of the #

Thanks vengeful for trying to help....seems like this deal is screwed

Ill have to get another guy to design my business card then, or find someone who can convert the current design to higher resolution...

Any recommendations (again) ?
    you can never truely convert an image to a higher res unless they are re-doing it. If they simply convert (say) a 640x480 image to (say) 2048x1024 then what they are actaully doing is interpolating it, which is basically filling it with pixels that match the original pixels to give the effect that the image is higher res when it is not.

You will need to get them re-done, I can't recommend anyone though...

Have you tried the IM details in his profile?

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    Have you tried the IM details in his profile?

Yup....email/ICQ/MSN/AIM all tried... to no avail

I doubt i will be making the call though... too costly and not worth it.

To be exact... the image now has the correct resolution but the size is too small, thus when you enlarge and print to a business card it comes out blurry. Thus i need to get the image enlarged...with the same resolution....no one can help ?

As Bub said above, you can't start off with a low resolution image and increase the resolution.

Your original image has Y number of pixels in it. Therefor if you enlarge it, the resulting image might have 10x Y number of pixels at the end, but it will still be based upon the original image with Y number of pixels as that's all that was available in the source image before enlargement. That's why it's blurry because the detail isn't there.

As Bub said above, the only way that you're going to get a nice clean print at the size and resolution you want is to have it designed at that resolution and size to begin with (or somewhere very close to it so the interpolation is minimal).

What does the business card look like? If it's a simple design you can probably find someone to re-draw it for you at a high resolution from the original, preferably have them do it in vector format so it's scalable to whatever res. you want.

Yup....email/ICQ/MSN/AIM all tried... to no avail

I doubt i will be making the call though... too costly and not worth it.

To be exact... the image now has the correct resolution but the size is too small, thus when you enlarge and print to a business card it comes out blurry. Thus i need to get the image enlarged...with the same resolution....no one can help ?

What format do you have the file in?

If it is a vector file then resizing can be done easily without any loss in resolution.

If all you need is resizing and the file is in photoshop or illustrator format, send me the file and I'll resize it for you.

This looks bad :-(
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

blue: if the file is in photoshop format and you resize it you'll still have the same problem because photoshop is a bitmap application.

I don't think his original is in vector format or he wouldn't have this problem to begin with.

It isnt in vector format....apparently the logo that he left me wasnt in high res either....

What does it look like? If it's a fairly simple logo design you could try posting it in the graphic design offers and request forums and asking for a quote to have it re-drawn in vector format. It mightn't take too long so you could probably get it done fairly cheaply.

If you got that logo for $20 (the price on his site) I wouldn't feel too hard done to though. For such a small fee you can't really expect much more than a simple design that's intended for screen use only.

bit gash that m8, looks like you have done your money.

do a charge back and get yourself to http://www.designoutpost.com/ and get one done, i've been looking at the ones they do and i have to say they are the best i have ever seen and they dont half put some work into it.....

A lot of the poeple want them for t-shirts and cards and stuff so they should be ok as well for that.......

My site is at www.dtrsolutions.com ....

Is this the logo he created for you?

http://www.dtrsolutions.com/img/logo.jpg

Because it looks like he just jacked someone elses clipart

http://www.wizardofdraws.com/main/logos.html

http://www.wizardofdraws.com/images/sportlogo.gif
    Last edited by Trifolic; 03-18-2004 at 01:26 AM.
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

. Hopefully you get your money back
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

Oh dear. That's bad news. Now not only do you not have a high res logo but you can't use the one that you've got.

Really sorry to hear about that.

On the plus side, if that's the style of logo you like, there's a guy here from a company called castle melody imagination studios (think that's the name - do a search) who does some nice cartoony logo work for really good prices. They're a bit more expensive than $20 but they seem to have special offers for wht users posted here now and again that aren't much more than that. You might want to check them out. I've read a lot of good things about them on this board in the time I've been here.

Originally posted by EthicalEpi
    Oh dear. That's bad news. Now not only do you not have a high res logo but you can't use the one that you've got.

Really sorry to hear about that.

On the plus side, if that's the style of logo you like, there's a guy here from a company called castle melody imagination studios (think that's the name - do a search) who does some nice cartoony logo work for really good prices. They're a bit more expensive than $20 but they seem to have special offers for wht users posted here now and again that aren't much more than that. You might want to check them out. I've read a lot of good things about them on this board in the time I've been here.
    I really hate it when people get let down like this. It gives this industry a bad name. I suppose it is no different though than bad web host. There is bad in every industry. I just hate to hear about it though.

I hope you get the issues resolved.

Simon

Originally posted by SimonMc
    I really hate it when people get let down like this. It gives this industry a bad name. I suppose it is no different though than bad web host. There is bad in every industry. I just hate to hear about it though.

I hope you get the issues resolved.

Simon
    Unfortunately it's often a case of you get what you pay for. I'm doing a couple of logo projects right now.

One of which in particular has been going on for a few weeks during which time we've explored literally hundreds of different designs and revisions, and that was only after a thorough discussion and analysis of the clients business, competitors branding, and a thorough discussion and visual exploration of all current and possible future usage requirements.

While there are undoubtedly some people who can offer work for this price (I've done it myself when someone just wants a single concept knocked up quickly), there's no way anyone can do all of the above for those sorts of prices , and imho if you're serious about your business a logo should be considered one of the most important design if not THE most important design project you'll ever have done for you.

Originally posted by EthicalEpi
    Unfortunately it's often a case of you get what you pay for. I'm doing a couple of logo projects right now.

One of which in particular has been going on for a few weeks during which time we've explored literally hundreds of different designs and revisions, and that was only after a thorough discussion and analysis of the clients business, competitors branding, and a thorough discussion and visual exploration of all current and possible future usage requirements.

While there are undoubtedly some people who can offer work for this price (I've done it myself when someone just wants a single concept knocked up quickly), there's no way anyone can do all of the above for those sorts of prices , and imho if you're serious about your business a logo should be considered one of the most important design if not THE most important design project you'll ever have done for you.
    I think there is a market for both ends of the spectrum. I do not think that for $20 the client would expect the service that you would get when spending a few thousand. Some do though

The key is in the service. If you offer a product at a certain price then you had better fulfil that order and support the client as required. Otherwise do not offer the service. There is no excuse for poor service at any price.

Also...stealing other peoples work is very common in this industry at the low end of the market. So called designers with little or no talent think it is their right to modify slightly and provide as original someone elses work.

Having said that I have seen some incredible tallent at the low end of the market too. The difference though is not in the quality of finished design it is in the service process that gets you to the finished design. This is where the majority of cost is in Logo Design.

Simon

Quick logo: $25
    Phonecalls to tweak it: $8.75
    Cheap Beer: $2.50

Contacting a true professional next time around: Priceless.

heh, i hired a designer for my site, he dissappeared halfway through making it, we had to finish it manually
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

Argh im gonna have to contact the true owner about it and work out something.

I mean, i had a banner designed from BannersMall for that dumb logo ! Now this happens....screw it i hate wasting money