Question Why ServerMatrix is cheaper than EV1?

For $150, I can get a Super Server from SM:

2.8 GHz Pentium 4
    80 GB Drive
    1G Ram
    1000 GB Bandwidth
    Private VLAN
    Red Hat+CPanel
    $99 Setup / $129 Month + Cpanel $20/Month

For $150, I can only get a Celeron package from Ev1:
    2.0 GHz Celeron 2.0
    (2) 80GB Hard Drives (What's the meaning of "2"? Two HDs, total 80GB?)
    1 GB RAM
    1000 GB Bandwidth
    cPanel for Red Hat Enterprise
    $1 Setup / $149 Month

Why?

First off, ServerMatrix has a setup fee, reducing their risk on the deal. Second of all, I think their setup is a bit more efficient, everything in one location, etc. I'd normally say you get what you pay for, but I honestly think ServerMatrix is probably the better deal now.

Also, (2) 80GB Hard Drives means what it says, 2 80GB drives, total of 160GB.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Deal closed, I suppose.

But in the same line of query, I would ask, why Managed.com is so much cheaper than ServerMatrix?

2.8 GHz Pentium 4
    120 GB Drive
    1G Ram
    1000 GB Bandwidth
    Red Hat+CPanel
    $0 Setup / $90 Month + Cpanel $15/Month
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    First off, ServerMatrix has a setup fee, reducing their risk on the deal. Second of all, I think their setup is a bit more efficient, everything in one location, etc. I'd normally say you get what you pay for, but I honestly think ServerMatrix is probably the better deal now.

Also, (2) 80GB Hard Drives means what it says, 2 80GB drives, total of 160GB.
    also ev1 has alot more pipes

the have a network that can handle a much bigger load

Ev1's network really isn't that much more robust than SM's is anymore, so I really don't think that is a consideration when it comes to cost. I think the quality of SM's providers is much better than EV1, who uses mostly Verio bandwidth which I have seen mixed results with. I think that the big difference you see is that SM has been willing to revise pricing down on certain products after they were introduced (ie SuperServer 2.4) wheras EV1 has said publicly that they will never lower their prices - once they introduce a server at a certain price, they will continue to offer it at that price until the hardware is completely phased out and removed from their DC. So what they end up doing is offering something slightly better and charging slightly more for it when they come out with new products, since it wouldn't make any sense for them to charge less for better hardware, even though in reality it costs them less to provide the hardware/service than it did before. Unfortunately for them, the industry has left them behind somewhat in the past few months however, so I think you may see a few changes at ev1 (ie their value line of servers) to try and compensate for the problems I have described. Headsurfer has seemed to be pretty savvy to me in the past and seems to have a pretty good feel for the industry, so I expect to see them make some changes to remain competitive, but I could be wrong.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - SAS70 Type-II Colocation in Las Vegas and Seattle

SM and EV1's networks and service are fairly similar, Managed.com's support and network are both worse. Personally I'd be fine dealing with EV1 or SM, but not Managed.com.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Support and network mean nothing when you are cut off without explanation. So, how would you secure your business against the odds of Willkürlichkeit witnessed nowadays in a number of inexplicable DoS cases with SM?
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

(2) 80GB hard drives mean you receive two 80gb harddrives totalling 160gb.

They're about equal, SM charges a setup fee, but they have a P4 and semi-managed service. EV1 is cheaper, has 2 hard drives, but only a celeron and no management.

Chances are with SM, you'll get a brand new box. With ev1, changes are higher that you'll be getting a box that has been used and canceled.
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

Originally posted by Imago
    Deal closed, I suppose.

But in the same line of query, I would ask, why Managed.com is so much cheaper than ServerMatrix?

2.8 GHz Pentium 4
    120 GB Drive
    1G Ram
    1000 GB Bandwidth
    Red Hat+CPanel
    $0 Setup / $90 Month + Cpanel $15/Month
    It's not always the "stuff" you recieve that is important, it's also quality.

ServerMatrix's support and service quality out-does managed.com's by a long shot. Managed.com offers very cheap servers, but at the same time offers little to nothing in support.

~Garrett

Originally posted by AcuNett
    With ev1, changes are higher that you'll be getting a box that has been used and canceled.
    What makes you say that?
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

i believe he meant:

"With ev1, chances are higher that you'll be getting a box that has been used and canceled."

Correct me if i'm wrong

At this very moment, SM are having 540 servers in stock and available. For the first time in their recent history, EV1 are also signaling green light on all their lines.

with spciale offers from SM you can get sometimes free setup/ free cpanel for life + fantastico / free drive / free 512 ram and i have seen this alot and happend to me twice you get a faster CPU then what you have ordered
    i ordered a 1.8 celeron and got a 2.4 celeron
    i ordered a p4 2.8 and got a p4 3.0
    i also got a free 2and SCSI drive on one server and a free setup on the other server
    and about the network i can only say it rocks and i think there support is much better and friendlyer then EV1 which i have used for 1 month and after that cancled my server there
    but with EV1 2and DC and the way people are heading to SM i think EV1 will start to lower there prices and try to compite with SM else they will lose

BizB, where did you find these special offers? I am interested in getting a SM server and would love free cpanel or something else for free.

they always post them here with a promo code WHT
    the 2and SCSI drive was free because they forgot to added a price in there order form and some one posted about it here so i wasted no time and ordered it.
    and because there PRO they honered the deal and gave me the free drive