hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Visa Electron vs Visa

Forum Jump

Visa Electron vs Visa

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Web Hosting Master

Visa Electron vs Visa

Can I use a Visa Electron card anywhere Visa is accepted?

Or can I only shop at places that have the Visa Electron logo.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2004, 02:42 AM
WHT Addict

They're two separate systems.

Places can accept either or both, check at the register for the logo first, or ask.

Old 03-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Webhosting Reseller

Both are practically accepted everywhere, web or not. I've tried it on the web and did some groceries using Visa Electron, although i have not used a credit card before.

He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Resident Liverpool FC Fan

No, you have to look for the Electron logo specifically. I have however heard that Visa Delta is accepted by systems as a normal Visa credit card though

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 AM
Web Hosting Master

whats the difference between the two? I'm in AUS.....so i haven't heard of the Electron before....

Old 03-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Visa Electron is the Debit card version of Visa; world over. Might be different down under, though.

I have used Visa Electron in shops with only the Visa logo... And it has worked everytime. I have heard that the case in USA is different with the existence of Visa Delta and Visa Plus.

Esentially, they are the same thing with two different forms of payment from the cardholder.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:06 AM
WHT Addict

Visa Electron requires an online connection, and your account is instantly debited - if you don't have funds in the account, the transaction won't go through. In other words, there's (virtually) no credit loss risk for the bank when this system is being used.

The "normal" VISA version, however, includes a VISA card number that allows for offline charging of your account. This type of card can function either a debit card (where you do not have a credit and should have funds in your account, as transactions will be debited as they come) and as a real credit card (where you'll typically have a set credit limit, and your accumulated purchases are invoiced once a month).

At least this is how it works here in Norway; the "electron" version is mainly directed at the youth market (since the banks consider credit risk to be higher in this segment). This means that you'll need a regular type VISA (not electron) to use online payment systems etc., as you'll need a VISA card number and expiration date and so on.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

The stupid thing about Visa Electron is (or at least it used to) work as a "normal" visa anywhere out of your own country.

Visa electron is *supposed* to only be accepted if the card holder is present, ie, cant be used on the net. Or thats how it worked in the UK. Since switch and Solo have come out though, it seems the rule has been overturned as people who I know that have them seem to have no problems buying stuff with it online.

AGCCWorld.com

Old 03-17-2004, 05:02 PM

First of all, Switch was out before Visa Electron. Secondly, Visa Electron is not the same as Visa Delta. Thirdly, yes Visa Electron used to require the cardholder to be present, however Visa ammended this last year in response to both bank and user complaints at lack of online acceptance.

Visa Electron is now in the Solo league whereas Visa Delta is in the Switch league. Delta and Switch are guaranteed transactions, which means if you buy something for say £50, and you have £23.44 in your account, the shop will still get the payment however you will go overdrawn. And you do not need an arranged overdraft to do this, however you will incur charges from the bank if the unarranged overdraft is not cleared within 3 days. If the overdraft is unnaranged and its under £10 its usually a percentage however if it exceeds £10 you usually get a £10 - £30 charge.

With Solo and Electron, you cannot even have an arranged overdraft fee and if you try to go overdrawn then the transaction will be declined.

HTH

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Old 03-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Web Hosting Master

What is all this complex credit card jargon you speak of? Is this Electron / Delta visa a new thing? I just have my visa platinum....should i switch? ...

Old 03-17-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benoitb
What is all this complex credit card jargon you speak of? Is this Electron / Delta visa a new thing? I just have my visa platinum....should i switch? ...
Neither Visa Delta or Visa Electron are credit cards. They are debit cards. Debit cards are nothing new (at least not here in the UK anyway)

Old 03-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

sounds very confusing. In AUS we can get a Visa debit card, but it is only called VISA with no extra words, and they work everywhere VISA is excepted. Same with MasterCard. Our way of doing things sounds a lot less confusing

Old 03-17-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bub Host
sounds very confusing. In AUS we can get a Visa debit card, but it is only called VISA with no extra words, and they work everywhere VISA is excepted. Same with MasterCard. Our way of doing things sounds a lot less confusing
we have a more advanced economy

No, I think Visa is such a big brand in the UK that to distinguish between cards, they just give them a different logo/brand.

I thought you had Maestro (which is Switch/Solo) in AUS? Thats a MasterCard debit card

Old 03-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Web Hosting Master

What's the difference between Visa Solo, Visa Delta, and Visa Switch?

Old 03-17-2004, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Knogle
What's the difference between Visa Solo, Visa Delta, and Visa Switch?
Switch and Solo are both the same company, with the parent company Maestro, being a sub company of MasterCard. They are nothing to do with Visa.

Visa Delta is a debit card from Visa. I have outlined the differences 6 posts ago, just look there

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Washington Mulls Visa Restrictions to Prevent Chinese Nationals from Attending Popular US Hacking Conferences Web Hosting News 2014-05-27 11:15:49
This Year’s First WHIR Event in Sunny Scottsdale, AZ Blog 2014-01-24 09:36:54
Meet and Mingle at WHIR Event Phoenix Next Week Web Hosting News 2014-01-17 15:32:24
Bringing in Outside Help: Fueling Technology Industry Growth with Foreign Workers Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:25:32
WHIR Networking Events Chicago, Fifth Time's a Charm Blog 2013-03-08 12:30:25