I have a problem perhaps similar...frequently when I am on the web my system 'locks up' for 15 seconds or so. By 'locks-up' I mean even my mouse freezes so I am not able to do anything. After ~15 seconds all is normal again until it does it again. I called the dsl company (Qwest) and they said it had to be my computer. It never did this with dial-up. I am running PIII-600 MHz, 512 Megs memory, windows 98, and have 256k DSL, Actiontec modem using ethernet connection. Any suggestions as to what is happening?

That's weird.. I have that same problem. I didn't have that problem at all before (I've used DSL for over a year) but suddenly for the past 3 months my modem times-out (only for a few seconds and I lose connection) a couple times per day... but then it kicks right back in.

I think it has to do with my modem though... not sure.

Thanks for the reply Joliet. QWEST tells me that since the mouse freezes up its not a DSL issue. I haven't accepted that yet. I am getting another modem and will let you know if it fixes the problem.

I didn't have a problem for a year and a half, but all of a sudden I'm losing my connection for a minute or so sometimes like every five minutes.

I called SBC and naturally some Indian probably on the other side of the world informed me I was at fault for putting the dsl modem on top of the computer. Electromagnetic interference, you know. It worked there for a year and a half just fine. I also tried the modem on my other computer where the modem was placed elsewhere, and got the same disconnecting, but his mind was set.

So just to make him happy I put the modem four feet from any electronic equipment as he suggested with no improvement. Since my two computers are on different extensions using different cables and filters, it seems the culprit has to be SBC. The problem seems much worse when one might expect heavy traffic. Also I'm on my second year of bargain rate of $29.95. Perhaps lower quality service comes with the bargain rate.

I have to call them back one of these days. It's more of an annoyance than an emergency. I want to make sure I have any possible excuses from the Indian call center covered before calling back so I don't have to listen to more suggestions.

If your modem is connected via ethernet, there's no way the modem itself is causing any problems with the mouse...

However having your actual connection going on/off seems like something wrong with the DSLAM in the CO, or you're more than 15k feet from the DSLAM or 12k feet from an RT.

this would most likely be a problem with your computer. When I used to use Windows I let the hard drive fill up with junk, the registry was crammed with junk, and the hard disk was fragmented terribly, and the computer used to frequently drop the connection for a few seconds, and the mouse used to freeze up. Once I cleaned out the computer, all the problems dissapeared

as a mcse perspective, i suggest you upgrade to windows 2000 pro.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Originally posted by bizness
    as a mcse perspective, i suggest you upgrade to windows 2000 pro.
    na, he should use Windows XP or a linux distro.......Windows 2000 is a littly 'yucky' in my opinion

i dont suggest XP because XP pro is tooooo much of a resource hog.... I suggested 2000pro because he has a 600Mhz machine which works perfectly... as for yucky, i have it running on some of my machines with the latest patches and they are as solid as a rock and thensome. I think that any other OSes past 2000pro would run sluggish after afew months.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Windows 2000 is rock solid for the most part, but doesn't offer as many features and is aging quickly. I'd like to see a stripped down version of any future Windows releases for businesses... XP just feels too flaky... lol.

Of course Mac OS X has 10x the eye candy of XP, yet remains way above Windows on my list of best OS's.

Quote: I think that any other OSes past 2000pro would run sluggish after afew months.

Not so, I used to run XP on a 500 MHz P3 128 meg RAM, went like a breeze even after a year or so......Win 2000 on the other hand sticks in my mind as being a slow OS....espicially the bootup time. Win 2000 is just a little bit old these days. Still rock solid (as rock solid as a Windows OS can be)

yes, it does have asluggish bootup, yet i still feel it is very solid and quick post boot.