Need help with 1and1 domain name

I ordered a domain name w/ 1and1 along with a server. The server did not work out, they transfered my domain to another server I have with them. OK

Now I want my domain on a new server that is not with 1and1, and I want to set that server up as a dns for my other sites that I will be moving to my new server.

ns1.newdomain.com
    ns2.newdomain.com

So I have to set a Domain Host record right?

1and1 says they cannot set my domain host records to my dns IPs.

Anyone have any help on this? I know ALL my domains at GoDaddy can be set with a host record, shouldn't a top level registrar be able to set this?

AFAICT 1&1 dont allow you to set the nameservers, you have to transfer the doain to a registrar or agent with more than half a clue as to how the internet works - try enom ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

AFAIK 1&1 UK doesn't allow DNS changes yet although this is subject to be changed. For 1&1 US you can configure your DNS in your control panel.

Lightbulb Iand1 Probably is Violating ICANNS Rules

Hi,
    I am having the same problem with 1and1.com
    I wish I had checked here before using them.

I registered 8 domains last weekend at 1and1.com and can't get them to point to my dedicated server. All I hear is excuses and non valid information as to what the problem is.

I have 11 domains on my server and registered them using register.com, hostway.com and never had a problem. I went to 1and1 because of price and now have ended up with a nightmare.

I tried a test on one of my domains registered at 1and using one of my nameservers as the primary nameserver. However the domain is still showing their temp page with advertising. I also received an email from them as to not use my name servers but to use the nameservers of my host name. I have a dedicated server and the nameserver I used is for my hostname on my dedicated server. They also said that my nameserver didn't have reverse DNS lookup to my servers hostname. I never heard that from a registar before. I had that fixed and I still have problems with them and my domains are showing 1and1's temp page. They told me If use both my name servers the domain would no longer be on their control panel. This is somewhat crazy as where would I renew it or have control over it because it wouldn't be on the control panel. Where would it be registered at? It would also probably end up unlocked doing what they said. This must violate ICANN's rules.

Is there anyway I can transfer my domains under the 60 day time period? I want to use them and I am not fond of the idea they are using them as advertising purposes by keeping them tied to their namservers. I registered the domain names for myself but feel I am in some trap where they get to use my names for 60 days for their marketing.

Isn't there rules and regulations by ICANN that they haft to follow? It appears they will register a domain name "cheap" to suck you in and then handle the DNS process as they please with ther unusual and non standard rules and regulations. How can they be a valid registar when they do that? According to what I read on ICANN. A registar can't use unusual practices in domain registration to create a unlevel playing field with other registars.

This is the only registar I ever had a problem with. They are also the cheapest and worst.

However I think there is a alternative purpose related to their low cost and non standard DNS rules and it isn't just to register domain names "cheap" and use them for marketing. It could be used to acquire new hosting customers by telling the new domain owners their current host won't work, or setup properly in an effort to get as many hosting customers as possible moved to them under Illegal means. If the person is never able to get their Domain Name setup to work with their current hosting provider (you or me) eventually the client will accept what 1and1 is telling them. It would also cause us hosting providers to jump through hoops responding to client issues with a domain name registered at 1and.com for no valid reason. Eventualy we wouldn't want anything to do with a client who has a Domain name there.
    This has the earmarkings of a monopoly.

If I wasn't a Web Host Provider and familiar with the Domain name registration process I might have bought into ther story.
    And they are using our Domain names we have purchased as their marketing so we are helping their marketing.

As far as WHM showing 1and1.com's banner I think there should be some morals & principals applied by WHM. If 1and1 gets a very large share of the hosting market this way there may be very few of us left that will have the need to use WHM.

My advice is STAY FAR FAR AWAY from 1and1.com and spread the news.

There should be a petition started ASAP to ICANN about 1and1.com practices and questioning their registration as a credited registar.

If anyone is familar with ICANNS Rules, I am willing to bet 1and1 isn't abiding by them and 1and1.com is registered with ICANN under Schlund+Partner AG.

I would appreciate any info as to how to move a domain from a registar before the 60 day time period.

DataCom

They are selling their names at a lost (5.88) surely they will try to lock it down to try to upsell or require you to pay a hefty renewal fee
    Domain Maven

Re: Iand1 Probably is Violating ICANNS Rules

>>I went to 1and1 because of price and now have ended up with a nightmare.

a WHT first - someone who's learnt cheap does not mean best, and often doesnt even mean good

>>They told me If use both my name servers the domain would no longer be on their control panel.
    >>This is somewhat crazy as where would I renew it or have
    >>control over it because it wouldn't be on the control panel.
    >> Where would it be registered at?

this is correct, it would be registered with 1&1 with *no* ability to do anything with it except wait for it to expire ...

>>Is there anyway I can transfer my domains under the 60 day time period?

no

>>It appears they will register a domain name "cheap" to suck you in

this is generally how low "headline" price things work yes ...

>>It could be used to acquire new hosting customers by telling the new domain owners their current host won't work,
    >>or setup properly in an effort to get as many hosting customers as possible moved to them

correct, their target ,market is the clueless who think that the more adverts you see in .net magazine the better the hosting compnay - thats why every newspaper in the uk has a glossy 1&1 pamphlet fall out of it on sundays, it's websites and domain names for the same (l)users who buy cases of never heard of vineyard wine from small ad's ...

*surely* anyone who'd been on the internet more than 5 minutes realises not to part with any cash before running the company through groups.google at least ?

>>As far as WHM showing 1and1.com's banner I think there

WHT are paid to show them, rather than making morla decisions about the business practices

>>My advice is STAY FAR FAR AWAY from 1and1.com and spread the news.

seconded.

>>I would appreciate any info as to how to move a domain from a registar before the 60 day time period.

In all seriousness I wish i could advise on this as it woudl solve your problmes, however there really is nothing you can do. We have similar issues with recent renewals, where customers couldnt get them transferred away from united internet (aka schlund & co) before they came due for renewal and now are locked for another 60 days ...

sadly, all i can really suggest is stick with a reputable registrar, who provides some for of reseller service as they appear inherantly better suited to people who know what they're doing rather than those aiming at the newbie - so that means dealing with people like joker, enom, opensrs ...

good luck, remember AFAIUI you have to *ask* 1&1 to allow your domain to be transferred when the 60 days are up ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

well... ok , maybe i can offer help . allow your own domain nameserver.

send email to me.
    SinYu Network

www.ongod.org

Hello,

It sounds like you are laughing in my face.

<< correct, their target ,market is the clueless who think that the more adverts you see in .net magazine the better the hosting company - thats why every newspaper in the uk has a glossy 1&1 pamphlet fall out of it on sundays, it's websites and domain names for the same (l)users who buy cases of never heard of vineyard wine from small ad's ...

I have been using the internet for a about 15 years and don't consider myself clueless.

I did the pre-sales check.

<<WHT are paid to show them, rather than making morla decisions about the business practices

I was under the impression that WHM was designed for Web Hosting companies to share useful information and share information about bad business's and experiences related to Web Hosting.

It appears however that isn't the case.
    My idea of the purpose of this site must be wrong along with allot of other people.

Since 1and1.com appears to be a scam and from what you said you agree, my impression of WHM is for is way off. The value of the information here is about as worthless or actually worse than most forum sites.

You are promoting what you know to be bad and think it's funny. 1and1 must be paying WHM allot for the banners.
    Are you laughing at the people who go to 1and1.com through their banners on WHM? One of your members is going to go to 1and1 though WHM and get burnt.

Laugh at them and tell them to check google groups first and see how far that goes and what the new topic of google groups becomes. Then the truth about WHM will come out. Maybe I should check google groups to see what is said about WHM. WHM is no better than 1and1 when it promotes 1and1 and knows it to be bad. That says allot about the value of WHM and the Character or lack of behind WHM

Maybe I should start a Webhosting Forum with some morals and values incorporated into it. I would advertise banners but shurrly wouldn't advertise stuff I knew to be bad. If I did that it would add real value to the site and I don't think it would break the bank. I also wouldn't laugh at the people who used the site or were reporting a bad business or experience as that would be part of why it exists.

I didn't make my post for pity or sympathy it was for informational purposes. getting laughed at by admin opened my eyes to WHM.

I think the first topic on the site would be about WHM and my post here.

I however have other Business interests.

Thanks for opening my eyes to what WHM is really about.
    Sounds like time to look for another webhosting forum, one of some value.
    I hope that not to many people are thinking what I was about what WHM is thought to be for.

DataCom

DataCom, I think you will find WebHosting Talk to be a very informative forum. I will not defend othellotech because he can do that for himself; however, I will take the time to explain were he is coming from. Numerous posts are either a) somebody looking for a free lunch, or b) looking to save a buck but spend 4 hours of posting in the process.

For some it is a learning curve. For others it is the "warm and fuzzy" feeling they want knowing their domain is safe and secure. But some, forgive me, are just immature kids with no idea of how a business should operate. Again, I find WHT to be full of mostly mature folks who enjoy what they do and are knowledgable in many areas.

:It sounds like you are laughing in my face.

not at all, if anything I honestly wish I could help, advise, solve an issue for you to get your domains usefull for you, sadly you're stuck with either doing it the way 1&1 want you to with some form of other (pay-for) package that lets you host your domain with them, or have it as you have now. Either way you can't move it to another registrar for 60days.

:I did the pre-sales check.

and no red-flags went up ? I'm very suprised.

<<WHT are paid to show them, rather than making morla decisions about the business practices
    :I was under the impression that WHM was designed for Web Hosting companies to share useful information and share information about bad business's and experiences related to Web Hosting.

WHM is the backend for cpanel, WHT is a forum for hosting related chat, they show banners from whomever buys them, including tophosts whos service *appears* to be a scam, 1&1 whom you gather my opinion of, and WebHostingAutomation who produce IMHO the best windows control panel - so the mix is very varied.

Lots of people (you and I not being in tha group) think 1&1 are the greatest thing ever ...

ince 1and1.com appears to be a scam and from what you said you agree, my impression of WHM is for is way off.

I believe that everyone offering unlimited bandwidth is lying to their customers, however I have no control over their banners or marketing, i do my best to educate potential customers and colleagues as to why that is the case, but making "moral" judgements on behalf of WHT I cant do ...

:You are promoting what you know to be bad and think it's funny.

I am simply a member of WHT who *tries* to offer help, criticism, advice, where questions/issues arise in an area I can deal with - you ask about neighbor setups on zebra routers with multiple NIC's on different IX peering points - i'll help, you ask about drawing a straight line in photoshop i wouldn't have a clue ...

:Laugh at them and tell them to check google groups first and see how far that goes and what the new topic of google groups becomes.

My advice before *ever* parting with any money for *anything* is know what you are buying. Consumer protection laws only go so far.

IMHO a domain is so fundamental to the operation of an online business, its identity and its branding , that to risk regsitering it with someone chraging less than cost is a commercial risk.

Please accept my sincerest apologies if I have offended you, such was not my intention, and I do hope it works out with your domains. All i did was pick up on a few of your phrases and add my comments for the (hopefully) benefit of those considering following the same course you took

:Maybe I should start a Webhosting Forum with some morals and values incorporated into it.

whilst always an option, you *might* find not everyone follows the same strict or lax moral code and so your target audience dimishes ... why not stay and make this community a better place by contributing ?

:getting laughed at by admin opened my eyes to WHM.

I dont see any admins laughing, and my only *jestful* comment is tag as such with a smiley.

1&1 US does allow full DNS management (no transfer / release fees) and saying it doesn't does not change anything about this fact. If you are experiencing problems, try to call support. The "domains won't show up in the control panel" thing is obviously referring to external domains not registered with 1&1 but being pointed to 1and1.com name servers. In order to get some substance to this silly rant - have a look at dailychanges.com and see how many transfer outs for 1and1.com are registered through 1&1.

Originally posted by aldee
    1&1 US does allow full DNS management (no transfer / release fees) and saying it doesn't does not change anything about this fact. If you are experiencing problems, try to call support. The "domains won't show up in the control panel" thing is obviously referring to external domains not registered with 1&1 but being pointed to 1and1.com name servers. In order to get some substance to this silly rant - have a look at dailychanges.com and see how many transfer outs for 1and1.com are registered through 1&1.

Hi,
    Thanks, I will be transfering in a heartbeat when I can.
    I have talked to support and the issue of using 2 of my nameservers, actually to be more spacific, their system isn't setup to recognize nameservers, they want your host server name instead. This is very strange or I just haven't dealt with any Registars that use hostnames instead of nameservers.
    I have 11 domains and understand how to register a domain and setup the dns at the registar.

Just to show how strange this is.
    This is a email from them to me explining how they want it done.

Thank you very much for your mail dated Mar 16, 2004

The domain name yourdomain.com was never created and now has been cancelled. If you would like you can register it again now. Your servers show that your IP address is pointing to server1.yourdomain.com. Therefore, instead of putting ns1.yourdomain.com as the name server you should put server1.yourdomain.com.

Sincerely
    John Sengendo
    Customer Support 1&1 Internet Inc.

It was a also explained to me if I used 2 of my nameservers and not theirs as the second nameserver, that would end the contract and the domain would no longer be on thier domain control panel. This is in referance to a domain registered through them. My response to that statement was where would the domain be controled and they said I would have control of the dns on my server. However it doen't answer the question as how the dns would be changed or how the domain would be renewed.

As strange as this sounds, that was what they said.
    The only logical thing that comes to mind is if they require one of their nameservers, I should correct that, one of the hostnames used instead of a nameserver has to be thiers in order for thier software to have control over the domain name. I do not know how other registars software actually has control over a domain name unless this process is transparent to the end user. But at 1and1 if you don't keep the 2nd nameserver as thiers they loose control of the domain thus it won't be in their domain control panel. Thier explanaition was it would be the same as if it was transfered from them to another registar.

DataCom

Sounds strange indeed.

One thing that is obviously wrong:

Choosing two (or whatever number) non-1&1 name servers certainly won't end your contract / jeopardize your control over your domain name, if your domain has been registered through 1&1. If someone told you this, it's unfortunately false information.

1&1 requires external name servers to be FQDNs as well registered name servers (glue...), meaning that the reverse lookup of your external name server IP is supposed to be your name server host name (click).

I sincerely hope that you can get this admittedly unfavorable issue resolved pretty soon and I suggest to give them a call describing the situation (this should probably make things a lot easier than emailing back and forth).

Good luck.

I am having almost signed up with 1 & 1. I'm a newbie, and am in the middle of signing up some webhosting and some more domain names. I saw your post about 1 & 1 and I am wondering if they are as bad as you seem to claim. They are huge in the European market and are ranked almost at the top. They are cheap for sure, but when they have huge turnover they don't need to be expensive to make their profits.

I will double check after reading your report but I have been doing research and have not heard anything seriously untoward about them.

Would be grateful to hear if you managed to get your problem resolved.

They are probably a better web host than registrar
    Domain Maven

Problem Solved

I managed to find 1 person at 1&1 that had a basic understanding of how registars work and I finally am using my own nameservers. That took 2 weeks with them.
    I will make this comment. They have billed me for 1 domain name when I registered 8. Sounds like they need to get their billing straight.
    I also just sold a site to women in the UK and she registered a domain with 1&1 in the UK. You can imagine my response when she said she registered a domain at 1&1. Well for her it is a total nightmare, she told me there was no place to change nameservers and gave me her account info to check. Needless to say this is one strange company, there is literally no place to change nameservers and if you check their help, you find you haft to request it by snail mailing them a form. She has a IT friend that is helping her there and they have yet to be able to change nameservers. She purchased her domain name 2 weeks ago and it doesn't even have a temp page. It is a 404 using 1&1 nameservers. They don't even provide a temp page. They refuse to change nameservers, and her only option is to host with them in order to use the domain name she purchased. From what I can see it appears 1&1 is going to force them to purchase hosting from them in order to use the domain name she registered with them. I don't know if ICANN has power there. If there is nothing like ICANN there they are at the mercy of what 1&1 wants to do and how 1&1 wants to do it. Both companies are owned by the same company. So not only are they cheap on registration but it appears the reason for being the cheapest is to manipulate the person registering the name into purchasing hosting from them.
    I have returned to using my usual registar. I will be transferring my domains once the 60 days is up just to get them away from 1&1. Look at this way, I thought I was saving a few bucks registering with 1&1, Now I am willing to pay the normal fee to get my domains to another registar, did I save? NO. When all is said and done I really lost 5.88 per name.
    Registering with 1&1 may put your Business at risk. Is it worth it?

Best recommendation is to stay away from them.
    DataCom

Small correction about the error page: 1&1 UK provides a temp page for sure, if it's error 404 after calling the domain name it's because the domain is pointing to a non-existing directory (activated WebsiteCreator without publishing probably...). About the 1&1 UK DNS problem, this might be of interest - obviously there is some delay for UK.

Re: Problem Solved

They refuse to change nameservers, and her only option is to host with them in order to use the domain name she purchased.

From what I can see it appears 1&1 is going to force them to purchase hosting from them in order to use the domain name she registered with them.

So not only are they cheap on registration but it appears the reason for being the cheapest is to manipulate the person registering the name into purchasing hosting from them.

Registering with 1&1 may put your Business at risk. Is it worth it?
    Sorry to hear reality has come to bite you/your friend in the @$$

As with most things - being cheap (or in the case of 1&1 being sold at a loss) has it's associated disadvantages - sh!te service, lack of control .. it verges in being a con to get more money out of you ...