We locked you up in jail for 25 years and you were innocent all along? Here's a Bill.

http://www.sundayherald.com/40592

On Tuesday, Blunkett will fight in the Royal Courts of Justice in London for the right to charge victims of miscarriages of justice more than £3000 for every year they spent in jail while wrongly convicted. The logic is that the innocent man should’t have been in prison eating free porridge and sleeping for nothing under regulation grey blankets.
    And people say America has problems? LOL.

That's crazy!

Re: We locked you up in jail for 25 years and you were innocent all along? Here's a Bill.

Originally posted by Rob83
    http://www.sundayherald.com/40592

And people say America has problems? LOL.

That's crazy!
    GREAT IDEA... That'll teach them not to be wrongly accused!!

hehe

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

wow... that rediculous..
    if anything, the judge/jury/courtroom will pay the money, for it was them who sentenced the innocent person.

That's utterly rediculous. It's not the victims fault they were wrongly convicted, and it's impossible to repay them for having to go through it.

fine, let the victim pay what amounts to less than $10,000.00 and then let them sue the court for each year they were kept from being free, for something like a million bucks a year...
    Each One Teach One~eduhosting.org
    Financial Software, Video Production
    Graphic Design, Free PC Labs 4 Kids. Start one in your town. It's a BLAST!

That's utter ********, but funny at the same time rotfl
    nu-metal.org :: coming soon

Another reason why the pilgrims left England....

Originally posted by kckclass
    fine, let the victim pay what amounts to less than $10,000.00 and then let them sue the court for each year they were kept from being free, for something like a million bucks a year...
    Plus discrimination, guilty people don't have to pay back their keep so why should innocent people.
    Roger - Fastcom Networks - http://www.fastcom.uk.com
    Pro-active TOTALLY managed VDS and Dedicated Servers with High Quality customer service and telephone support.

That is beyond amazing that they actually think this is a "moral" thing to do.

Sounds fair to me.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

If I were wrongly accused, I would be the one collecting the money from the court after I left prison.

Damn that's backwords... the poor victim should be given money (lots of money) for the stupidty of the people who locked up the innocent person and ruined person's life. Ridiculous.

Sounds like a good reason to commit the crime for real once out!!

That is the most ABSURD thing I have EVER read!
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

What happens if he doesn't pay ? Back to jail.

On a serious note I think they should pay him a few millions for wasting his life, this guy couldn't work inside (unless he was running a hosting company).
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Sounds like something that would be in a movie.
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

That is shocking. No doubt the same thing will be attempted here if certain government officials hear about this story.

Would be nice to see the "guilty" forced to pay it all back though..

Originally posted by illuzhen777
    If I were wrongly accused, I would be the one collecting the money from the court after I left prison.
    Here in America we have this little word our government likes to hide behind.... immunity.

Remember, it's not the courts or the attorneys that convict people... it's a jury. The only thing a court does is sentencing.

Now im not saying that a court or D.A. cant be sued, but it's very hard to establish a case against them and you have to prove prosecutorial and judicial misconduct. Some can also plee "ineffective assistance of counsel " .... but rarely do these people get millions for being locked up for years at a time. In fact many states have passed legislation limiting the monetary compensation one can recieve from a wrongful conviction case. I dont know of any state here in America that offers compensation for those convicted wrongfully.

Democracy... love it or leave it

The courts cant be sued, but the State can, and get sued often

Since the courts operate under State jursdiction, that's who you would go after. You star with the DA, and name very jurisdiction above him, all the way to the state. Since governments are run be elected officals, they are notorious at settling out of court and out of the eyes of the media. To get a settlement, you have to sign an agreement to never say a word about it.

You see, Juries convict on evidence. The evidence is provided by the DA. The DA operates under State jurisdiction. If evidence sends an innocent person to prison, then the evidence was faulty, and the DA should have made sure it wasnt. That's part of their job......and the State can suffer the repercusions of it.

Wow sometimes I think the US is the craziest government in the world, it's nice to see that although it probably IS at least there's some competition to be found.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

It's probably so crazy because of the sheer size and population of this country... and also because the bad portions of human nature are allowed to run rampant, but whatever.

I think the UK beat us this time, though... lol.

OMG, that is just disgusting, there is NO other way of putting it....the wrongly convicted person should be the one who is paid.

Well, that is definately one of the most messed up things i've ever heard. Did they at least get conjugal visits? Jeez.

... sounds like a hostage hosting company.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

As soon as I read that, one word came to my mind: Retarded.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by Knogle
    As soon as I read that, one word came to my mind: Retarded.
    Well put.