will i crash the server?

i'm currently hosted at lunar pages and i'm working on a site that will have about 6000 pages. All of the images are hosted elsewhere, so bandwidth wont be a problem. however i'm worried that i will overload the server when google spiders my site. i guess my other alternative is a dedicated server, but that would be 10x the price! any advice is appreciated.

I've heard that LP's servers are pretty powerful, something like 4 gigs of ram or above. I don't think your site will crash their server easily.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

You could always look at a VPS instead of a full dedicated server. The prices are very reasonable and you have a resource amount you can depend on and are guaranteed. You can also burst to well over your guaranteed resource amount with a VPS.

It's impossible to know if you will create a server resource issue without seeing the scripts you'll run, the stats of the site and the details of the server you would be on including how many people you would share those resources with. If you think there is a chance you will create a resource issue it's much better to take steps to deal with it now rather than wait until your site gets shut down for being too resource hungry...

I doubt you'll have any problems, we once had a customers site on one of our (Windows 2000) servers with over 60,000 pages all of them dynamic / .asp based and drawing from an Access database with all images residing on the server.

This was on a normal p4 dedicated server with around 200 other sites and was googled just about daily.

It was a bit of a worry for us so we kept an eye on it, the only time it ever caused a problem was when it was hit by Google and Scooter (altavista) together when things went a little beserk
    Invectis - Windows 2000, 2003 and MS SQL Server web hosting

you can setup a robots.txt file to deny google bots to your server

thanks for all the advice. i was worried because i've heard about people using AWS with a mod_rewrite getting their hosting account suspended for high server loads.

as for the robots.txt file, this would make my site kind of pointless. the reason i have so many pages is to get a lot of traffic from search engines, so i really need all the pages to be spidered.

i'm really not sure how google's ranking works but on a busy forum, google bots kept tearing though, using up multiple gigabytes of bandwidth. after about a month or so, i just denied all bots from my server but google still ranks my site very high (or low...which ever one is the good oen )

Just be careful, if you're trying to rig search results and the engines find out about it, they'll blacklist your website, then you're out all the work you put into it.

If you plan on all the pages being truly meaningful then that's another story, have at it.
    Matt Walters
    http://mattwalters.net/ - Weblog

True, the number of pages doesn't necessarly mean you will get a higher ranking. There are a whole bunch of factors, some of which you can find at Google under "all about google" and then "Webmaster Info".

You can go crazy trying to figure out the rhyme or reason to why Google ranks some pages higher then others. It kills me when I see someone's personal geocities page ranked in the top 10 for a good keyword, and when I look at the page it's just a few paragraphs of text!.

The number of pages linked to you is supposed to be an important factor...but as mentioned above, that's not always the case.

no no no. the idea is the more content you have the more likely you'll rank high for more semi-obscure keywords that most people don't optimize for.