Submitting your site to search engines..

Hey I've developed a website that mainly was for the forums 2 year years ago, my site was even recomended by newscientist I didnt pay a penny to them.. But I've been struggling on the search engines alot.... I'm listed on yahoo, google and few others but my site is way way way out from the top 10..

Is there any effective free or pay service to submit your sites and do you have any tips on getting to the top.. Thanks guys

If you have cpanel, you can do this for free. There are alot of ways to getin search engines for free. Do you have any meta tags?
    - Providing premium web hosting solutions since 2003
    |Managed Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting | Web Design | Server Management |

Automated submission is a waste of money - you absolute will not rank well with auto-submit for any search engine - unless it's for completely useless and unsearched terms.

If you'd like more info on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) issues then you can check out some simple introductory articles here:
    http://www.britecorp.co.uk/articles/...-optimisation/

or read up some more advanced erading on SEO here:
    http://www.seo-lab.com/

You can also ask specific questions on SEO at forums such as
    http://www.webworkshop.net/seoforum/index.php

and
    http://www.internet-marketing-resear...rums/index.php

thanks

Originally posted by I, Brian
    Automated submission is a waste of money - you absolute will not rank well with auto-submit for any search engine - unless it's for completely useless and unsearched terms.
    Right. Submission has nothing to do with rankings -- and in the search engine environment today, free submission is rarely necessary or worth the time, except for niche directories (hosting directories, for example).

Search engines like Google and the "new" Yahoo index spider heavily and add sites that way. As Postmaster said, he's already in the indexes -- no submission software or service is going to improve rankings.
    Originally posted by serverplace
    Do you have any meta tags?
    Meta tags won't help rankings either -- most search engines today simply ignore them; those that don't value them very little.

The basics of getting rankings start with the basics of building a site -- search engines index text, so be sure that each page you want to have well-ranked includes a substantial amount of body text. Focus each page on one or two key phrases (for the most part, forget about single word "keywords"). But it's important to avoid overusing the exact phrase -- use natural language and vary the way you say things. Use your most important phrases, though, in on-page elements like the title, headings, and link anchor text. Be sure to use text links; if you have image links or Flash navigation back it up with redundant text links. Include a site map one link off your home page with links to all pages -- make it easy for search engines to crawl the entire site.

As important on those on-page elements, though, are the off-page components. In short, that boils down to links pointing to your site. But, not just in sheer numbers of links -- search engine algorithms weigh the content of the pages that link to you; most importantly the text of the link pointing to you as well as other links on the page. Don't rely on shortcuts here -- pulling together a bunch of links from one site all with the same anchor text is going to fail. What the search engines attempt to do, just as with the "natural language" advice above, is to identify "natural" linking patters. So, in optimization if what you have isn't natural, you have to make it appear to be.

Optimization is never finished. In addition to staying on top of changes in search engine algorithms (Google's approach today is much different from what it was six months ago), continue buillding your site. Add new pages regularly.

And don't forget that rankings don't matter if humans don't like what they find when they click through. Visitors mean nothing if they don't buy, so don't just optimize for search engines -- optimize for conversions.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

If the site is mainly forums, search engines may not do much indexing. Many search engines will not follow links with "?" in them that are dynamically generated pages for more than one or two links, because they see that as a possible bottomless pit of data. Some boards make "friendly" URLs that search engines will follow further.

Here's a link to a Google page explaining what they don't like to index:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html#A1

JayC very impressed

Hi,

This question is one of the top FAQs for anyone concerned with web or internet. One can have a million websites, but if nobody knows it, what is the use of it?

Coming to answers, well, in the wake of different top-10 result strategies of different search engines, it has become very much difficult to give a CLEAR step-by-step answer to this question. I have been doing that since 1996 and I have found this e-marketing or Search Engines Optimizatin field to be of more dynamic nature than software industry itself. You will have to read through tons of notices, suggestions, advices, policies of all search engines in this regard. And by the time you are ready to comply them, new policies/instructions have taken their place. Hence, you are left with no other choice than the following ones;

1. Hire a professional. Avoid those typos who promise you top-10 within 100$ or so. The top-10 ranking is one of the premium businesses today, so try to expect paying something around $1,000 to $5,000 depending on your site's content and its target search engines.

2. Do it yourself. There are zillion of tutorials out there and if you got time and courage, go ahead. Start having some idea about it from www.wilsonweb.com

Hope it helps,

Re: Submitting your site to search engines..

Originally posted by Postmaster
    Hey I've developed a website that mainly was for the forums 2 year years ago, my site was even recomended by newscientist I didnt pay a penny to them.. But I've been struggling on the search engines alot.... I'm listed on yahoo, google and few others but my site is way way way out from the top 10..

Is there any effective free or pay service to submit your sites and do you have any tips on getting to the top.. Thanks guys
    Postmaster,

If you site is listed in Google and Yahoo, you don't have to submit to them again. It doesn't help your rankings with them and other search engines if you only submit your website. Link is only one of the factors in search engine ranking algorithms. But it is really important if you know how to use link in a right way. And also there are many areas to optimize in order to achieve top rankings such as your <title>, <meta>, and specially the content of the website. Also you have to know what your potential keywords are.

Hope it helps

It's similar to what Vincent Flanders said in his original book, "Web Pages that Suck" about meta tags ....

repeat after me ... submissions are not magic, submissions are not magic, submissions are not magic.

A source I've used to help me get my stuff on top of the heap is
    SearchEngineWatch

Well, that and having dynamic, compelling content on my sites that people actually find useful and/or amusing doesn't hurt.

id have to disagree with whoever said that submitting is a waste, ive used http://www.worldwidepromoter.com for years, with excellent results.

i use the free version...
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

The quickest way to get indexed is to get your link on a site/page that has a high (4 or better). Your site will be indexed within a couple of days. As for a good ranking... that will depend on your content.
    Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans with the IceIsHot.com Web Hosting Comparison.

Originally posted by JayC
    free submission is rarely necessary or worth the time, except for niche directories (hosting directories, for example).
    Although I don't believe that auto-submitting to directories has value, manaul directory submissions do. DMOZ, for example, is the king of directories, because of the fact that hundreds of other directories use the DMOZ data directly (such as a the Google Directory).

However, in the webhosting environment, DMOZ backlinks alone aren't going to make any particular impact on general rankings for webhosting terms.

Originally posted by JayC Meta tags won't help rankings either -- most search engines today simply ignore them; those that don't value them very little.
    Actually, this is quite incorrect - Inktomi-driven systems (such as MSN and even the new Yahoo, which retains an Inktomi core) traditionally use meta-tags for the purpose of referencing content.

Stuffing keywords in meta-tags for the sake of it will almost certainly not improve rankings.

However, where Inktomi systems find a good correlation between meta-tag content and on-page content pages are believed to rank better (though this is actually very hard to test/demonstrate conclusively in the field).

Ideally, meta-tags should still be used - but the keywords in the meta-tags should very clearly and accurately reflect the actual keywords of the page.

Originally posted by JayC

Optimization is never finished. In addition to staying on top of changes in search engine algorithms (Google's approach today is much different from what it was six months ago), continue buillding your site.

And don't forget that rankings don't matter if humans don't like what they find when they click through. Visitors mean nothing if they don't buy, so don't just optimize for search engines -- optimize for conversions.
    Very true words. It's a constant effort - and beware of over optimising your sites!

Originally posted by iceishot.com
    As for a good ranking... that will depend on your content.
    No - it's a horribly common misconception. As has been already raised, the real issue is links links links!

The quickest way to get indexed is to get your link on a site/page that has a high (4 or better). Your site will be indexed within a couple of days. As for a good ranking... that will depend on your content.
    It's right but not in the whole way. Your site will be indexed and cashed (probably only the pages of 1st level) but it won't appear in cerps for several days (often even weeks). Such modern Google algo works...

IceIsHot said...
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by iceishot.com
    As for a good ranking... that will depend on your content.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I,Brian said...
    quote:
    No - it's a horribly common misconception. As has been already raised, the real issue is links links links!

You are correct... Links are very important but I really didn't want to get into all that. If you link back to a site that has no content, I don't think that page will rank very high (at least not very long anyway), no matter how many high PR sites are linked to it.

IceIsHot said...
    quote:
    HQHost said...
    quote:
    It's right but not in the whole way. Your site will be indexed and cashed (probably only the pages of 1st level) but it won't appear in cerps for several days (often even weeks). Such modern Google algo works...
    That's totally wrong. You can get a new site/page into the serps in under a week if you do everything right.
    Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans with the IceIsHot.com Web Hosting Comparison.

Well... you are somewhat right Brian. If a page has great content and mentions "blue widgets" a reasonable number of times it stands little chance to get a high rank in the serps.
    Now if a web page doesn't mention "blue widgets" but it does have thousands of links that contain "blue widgets" in the anchor, most likely it will be ranked high because it will have link popularity and votes saying that its content has someting to do with "blue widgets".
    But this page will be outranked by a page that has a similar number of links and also contains "blue widgets" in the copy.
    So, that's why IMHO, links are no.1 and content comes second.

I also read a lot about "the power of content" in getting free links and I actually believed in it for a while. That's no longer the case though. Time has tought me that one must act in order to get links and build a reputation. Only after the reputation reaches a certain critical mass will "free links" become a reality.

Links have become a commodity and people (webmasters) no longer link freely as they used to do. 90% of webmasters know about the power of the links and refrain from linking "naturally".

ldcdc said...
    Time has tought me that one must act in order to get links and build a reputation.
    Aint that the truth.

[B]Although I don't believe that auto-submitting to directories has value, manaul directory submissions do. DMOZ, for example, is the king of directories, because of the fact that hundreds of other directories use the DMOZ data directly (such as a the Google Directory).
    I agree, you telling the true here! DMOZ is the kind of directory, many websites use DMOZ directories, best example is Google. It is impoartant to submit your site manually to major search engines and directories.

However, in the webhosting environment, DMOZ backlinks alone aren't going to make any particular impact on general rankings for webhosting terms.
    True again, there are more than 100 factors are counted in Google ranking algorithms for example.

Inktomi-driven systems (such as MSN and even the new
    Yahoo, which retains an Inktomi core) traditionally use meta-tags for the purpose of referencing content.
    Yes, Inktomi gives lots of weight on <title> and <meta> tags. Like I said, <title> and <meta> tags alone doesn't help you much.

In search engine optimization, it's not only submission, if submission do helps your rankings, there is no search engine optimization field. Then you should see search engine submission everywhere. The fact is that there are many areas to optimize in order to get top rankings in search engines.

If you want to be listed up in the ranks of top 10, you've got to pay. Up to USD $ 300-400 for a decent package

Originally posted by sennsi
    If you want to be listed up in the ranks of top 10, you've got to pay. Up to USD $ 300-400 for a decent package
    That sounds on the affordable end actually; many accomplished SEO firms charge in the thousands for optimization services. There is also a wealth of information online - and in forums like this, that you can study for free - at least as a start.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

If you have cPanel then you can use that but last time i used it, more than half of the hosts i submitted to came back with a 404 error.

IceIsHot said...
    quote:
    HQHost said...
    quote:
    That's totally wrong. You can get a new site/page into the serps in under a week if you do everything right.
    IMO now it is totally right as I have seen numerous sites with such kind behavior from Google. May be this was wrong tree or even two month ago - but now such a reality is.
    Last edited by HQHost; 03-26-2004 at 05:07 AM.

You can try to use overture to get your sites exposed. They give away free credits. I started a topic trying to find the best deal on those credits. Check it out.

Thanks.

Will

PS The most credit I found so far is $50
    http://forum.sumrise.com All About China Forum: trips, business, stocks and more!

BS!!!

my sites are consistently google 1-5 and have NO link exchanging! just content!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

my sites are consistently google 1-5 and have NO link exchanging! just content!
    Google 1-5 means what? Page rank or ranks in search engine results? If the second, for what kind of keyphrases? Try getting to top 10 for "hosting". It's impossible without lots of links!

Offtopic: I will keep an eye on your signature from now on, Lauren. Interesting stuff. This last one is funny too (although the subject is quite serious).