Offering Dial Up Internet Access?

It is worth it for a web design/web hosting business to offer dial up and DSL internet access?

It depends.

Are you going to run your own setup, or become a reseller for a dialup / dsl company?

I Don't think there is much money in it to be honest, do people still use dialup? lol.

People might prefer dialing directly to your network if they host with you though as they will be able to get quicker speeds to their server but I don't think its going to be a great revenue stream but could be an added advantage over some other hosts.

Well I plan on being a reseller, but would it be hard to offer internet access on my server?

Oh yeah, by the way, I still use dial up, lol.

Originally posted by gghosting
    Well I plan on being a reseller, but would it be hard to offer internet access on my server?
    Well, if you don't know what you're doing then it would be very hard and complicated.

If you want to run your own ISP, you're going to need a lot of hardware and resources. You will need modem pools, digital phone lines, and multiple servers to handle everything from authentication to e-mail.

It's not worth it to start your own.

There's certainly still a strong dialup market -- plenty of people use it, not wanting to pay $30 to $50 a month for broadband access. The various TV commercials for the bigshots in the business make it clear that the market exists.

But, that's your competition: from low-cost providers like Earthlink and NetZero, to AOL. Dialup customers will expect the service they get from those sources: easy setup software and 24-hour telephone support, for example. Email support or a web-based helpdesk won't cut it, because when people need support it's because they can't get online -- so they can't use those options.

And, support for dialup can be much more challenging than it is for hosting: instead of having to support only whatever OS you're running on the server, whatever control panel you choose, and perhaps a small number of scripts, in the dialup world you'll have to support customers using every desktop operating system (current or not), and you'll have to support customers some of whom barely know how to turn their computers on. And all for margins of only a few dollars a month per account.

Certainly it can be done, but you should be prepared for what you're getting into.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I'm launching a dial up service. The competition isn't really the big names, EarthLink, NetZero and AOL, it is the local enterprises that introduce the low costs.

There is plenty of money to be made in this business, infact, retail prices on dial up are as low as $5 or $2 each month.

I have to say, it is very different from web site hosting. Internet access is serious and always ondemand for support and service. If you don't have both together, you're going to fail drasticly.
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here

Originally posted by The Pioneer
    I'm launching a dial up service. The competition isn't really the big names, EarthLink, NetZero and AOL, it is the local enterprises that introduce the low costs.

There is plenty of money to be made in this business, infact, retail prices on dial up are as low as $5 or $2 each month.
    Do you mean wholesale prices -- what a reseller would pay -- or retail prices for the end user? Retail prices of $2 per month would make it seem very difficult to make money, until you had thousands of those accounts.

The "big names" have to be taken into consideration because of their aggressive advertising. If you're not undercutting the pricing the likes of NetZero and Earthlink, you have to have something else to offer.

Certainly marketing locally is one viable approach. Our approach -- my company has been selling dialup access for years -- is to sell "wholesale" to businesses. We only have a couple of customers who pay for just one account; most have multiple accounts for a number of employees or offices. That also helps by shifting some of the support responsibility to within those companies. Often an employee will contact their own techs first; we only get approached for support if they can't solve the problem -- so we don't get a lot of setup-related support requests, for example. And, since most of the usage is during the business day there's little demand for 24-hour phone support as there would be for thousands of home users.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Ok, next question, where I can become a reseller? Free would be nice but I will pay if the features are great.

Originally posted by JayC
    There's certainly still a strong dialup market -- plenty of people use it, not wanting to pay $30 to $50 a month for broadband access. The various TV commercials for the bigshots in the business make it clear that the market exists.

But, that's your competition: from low-cost providers like Earthlink and NetZero, to AOL. Dialup customers will expect the service they get from those sources: easy setup software and 24-hour telephone support, for example. Email support or a web-based helpdesk won't cut it, because when people need support it's because they can't get online -- so they can't use those options.

And, support for dialup can be much more challenging than it is for hosting: instead of having to support only whatever OS you're running on the server, whatever control panel you choose, and perhaps a small number of scripts, in the dialup world you'll have to support customers using every desktop operating system (current or not), and you'll have to support customers some of whom barely know how to turn their computers on. And all for margins of only a few dollars a month per account.

Certainly it can be done, but you should be prepared for what you're getting into.
    Exactly what I would say. We too have been reselling it for years. If you do not have phone support, forget about offering dial up. There is definitely room for profit and a large demand for it.

Retail price as in the cost for the seller. YourOwnISP.com is great to work with.

It's not difficult to for me to sell dial up at $10.95 or even $13.95 with their affordable prices. I know there are others who have slightly higher costs such as Dialup USA.
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here

I've also considered this many times, reselling dial-up, but it just never seemed to be worth it. There is little profit margin and it's a dwindling market. If you just do the ISP thing I can see how you can make money, but I wouldn't want web hosting support people having to learn how to support ISP clients as well, etc. and I'm not going to get a dedicated support staff for that little profit.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

disagree

with KarlZimmer
    There is little profit margin and it's a dwindling market
    Not sure what country everyone is in , but in the United States there are still alot of people who don't own a computer. And even more who own a computer ,but can't or wont pay $30-45 for hi-speed internet access. Considering the average buy price of dial-up to resell is $6.50-7.50 and aohell & msn still sell dialup for $20.00 i would say you can charge 15.00 and make a nice profit.
    I've resold 56k for over a year and I still get new sign-ups locally and out of state. Tell ya what I make more money from 56k reselling than I do from selling domain names. You already have clientele poll your users and see if they would be interested. Startup cost anywhere from 100-350 and up.

14 users willing to pay you $15.00 a month for a year you broke even first year on 100. Hey there are affiliate progams that offer you like $2.00-$5.00 residual for everyone u refer...that would be a win win

oh and before anyone mentions netzero last time I checked they still charged per min for phone support...
    Well you did know kiwi's have more vitamin C than oranges....right??

Actually, after shopping around I found something that might work.... THink people would complain much about only getting 200 hours a month instead of the unlimited they're used to??
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

just for the record

for 5.95 -7.75 you can get 200 hours per month, 325-350 hours a month, OR EVEN "UNLIMITED".

Now of course as with ANY service "unlimited" isn't a dedicated connection and if left on for a extended period of time it will drop you same as msn,aol,etc etc. and everything else that applies to the improper term unlimited....

but its as unlimited as any other dialup.

Bottom Line gghosting you CAN make money doing it.

I was just going to say that...then i saw your post kiwi.

Edit.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

hehe it just feels good that I finally have a chance to talk about something I know

Dial Up is still a stong market, I use dial up and up until about a month ago I couldn't get DSL because of where I live.

at my end of the world it has VERY huge market share compared to DSL
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

A company in my Australia is offering a great deal where you get dialup for 9.95/mth. Now, that is the cheapest price in town but the catch is that it is only 70MB download.

They charge small overage charges to a maiximum of $10. (meaning unlimited for $20)

The interesting thing is, all people seem to see is the 9.95 internet and go WOW thats cheap. For those that are a bit more savvy they see it as unlimited for $20 a month, and think this is a good price.

They haven't been around that long and apparently this company is doing GREAT. So the dialup market must still be there, aty least in my country.

I read a book on starting your own dial up ISP, there's ALOT of money and hardware involved, as mentioned above, plus you're going to need a fast connection depending on how many customers you have.

Although, If you're a game server host, offering local DSL would be more than a good Idea, If you had the money.
    As for a game server hosting company offering dial up on the SAME network, That would be an affordable way of being "connected" to their server, with EXTREMELY low pings not usually associated with dial-up, although you still got low bandwidth.
    As my title says, I'm a wannabe.

get with the times, broadband is what you should be getting into

Originally posted by Bub Host
    get with the times, broadband is what you should be getting into
    You mean the times where one should go into business just to make no money

Even the telcos and cablecos are losing their butts selling broadband. The big boys sell it to grab market share.

You gotta take off your geek hat for a second and put on your business hat. There are FAR more people still using dialup than using broadband. You gotta get out of your box for a second and realize that the average joe out there is not as technical as you or most on WHT. The average Joe comes home after a long days work, cracks a beer and checks his email and may not look at his computer again all week. Furthermore, this guy would probably rather spend his last $40 this month on Beer or maybe the electric bill instead of FASTER internet which he could care less about.

The best business lesson I ever learned was to not assume that my potential customers were all like me, have the same habits as me and or like the same things I do.

If the whole world was full of techno savvy, high speed Internet wielding super geeks then how would we all be special Doh!
    Start Your Own Telephone Answering Service!
    http://www.VirtualTAS.com

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    Actually, after shopping around I found something that might work.... THink people would complain much about only getting 200 hours a month instead of the unlimited they're used to??
    Karl,

The average dialup user in the US uses 30-40 hours a month. Only a very tiny percentage ever reach over 100 hours even. For us it's only about 3-5% that ever hit 100 hours. So, people will hit a 200 hour limit here and there but it's usually because they are sharing the account with 6 of their cousins or trying to keep the connection up 24/7. Of course neither of those things are what a dialup connection is meant for and basically violate the terms of service of every ISP in the US.

Remember 200 hours is almost 7 hours a day, everday of the month without missing a day. That's a lot of Internet.. Now I am not saying that lots of us here on WHT can't do that but then again most of us pay more than the normal cost of a dialup account to access the Internet.
    Start Your Own Telephone Answering Service!
    http://www.VirtualTAS.com

If you haven't looked around a lot yet, isppath.com allows you to resell dialup services.

Can anyone recommend a few other options for dialup reselling? And are there any options for broadband reselling?
    John
    Business & eCommerce Web Hosting, Site Development & Marketing eSolutions
    eSolutions.net

HI,

Don't know how it works in other places around the world, but in teh UK, the dial-up market is still massive as xDSL hasn't been rolled out to everywhere yet.

With regard to making money from it, you make money for every minute a user is connected. The more minutes you do a month, the higher the rate you get in 'commision' per minute.

However, the setup costs to provide the services are quite high with regard to hardware, and configuration.

Cheers,

I might try adding that service to my site. Has anyone tried it. Is it worth it?

We've been offering dial-up for a long time and it's been a very effictive product for us. Everyone is alway puting it down on these forums.. I just don't see why. Sure you'll have to support your clients a bit... but you're already doing that! We've found that many of our clients will purchase hosting and dial-up. Because they already trust us with the hosting... and know we offer great service, They leave the "big name $20+" providers in a second.

Dial up is way to slow for me

Sorry, it looks like I was slightly off topic with my previous question about sources for ISP reselling. I found a few other suggestions in this thread.
    John
    Business & eCommerce Web Hosting, Site Development & Marketing eSolutions
    eSolutions.net

Hi

It is certainly an option to provide, but the support issues must be balanced against the possible revenue stream.

However in the UK a lot of resellers tend to use Tiscali as they provide a fairly lucrative tiered system.

Originally posted by StartAnISP
    trying to keep the connection up 24/7. Of course neither of those things are what a dialup connection is meant for and basically violate the terms of service of every ISP in the US.
    I'm in an area with no broadband access available (yet! DSL coming this summer), so I've made a deal with my local ISP where I get a 24/7 dialup account, $30CAD a month.

I share it over my network with my wife's computer, the laptop downstairs and even my neighbour who shares our wireless network.

It isn't all that bad either, I use a dedicated Linux box for the connection, it has Squid installed and does transparent proxy duties which speeds up surfing a bit.

But, just as soon as that DSL connection becomes available I'll be switching
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/