Thread: Qwest Bandwidth

Qwest Bandwidth

When I posted my messages regarding which bandwidth providers to use I always listed Qwest as a possibility, but no one ever recommended them. Is this because no one really uses Qwest bandwidth? THose of you who have used Qwest bandwidth, what are the pros and cons? I'm just basically looking for everyone else's opinions as my brief experience with them has been very good, and I don't want to be making a mistake by basing my full analysis of them on those few experiences.

As a note, the connectivity would be in Chicago.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Re: Qwest Bandwidth

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    When I posted my messages regarding which bandwidth providers to use I always listed Qwest as a possibility, but no one ever recommended them. Is this because no one really uses Qwest bandwidth? THose of you who have used Qwest bandwidth, what are the pros and cons? I'm just basically looking for everyone else's opinions as my brief experience with them has been very good, and I don't want to be making a mistake by basing my full analysis of them on those few experiences.

As a note, the connectivity would be in Chicago.
    There was a discussion about Qwest in this forum not too long ago.

IIRC, Sailor was considering purchasing bandwidth from them.

Try doing a search.

Karl,

Quest is just not frequently used, I don't think in the hosting markets. I too have not heard any recommendations for quest or complaints against it. Great Question...I'm really curious now.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

I only know them through the work I've done on WiscNet, the Illinois Century Network, and other such educational networks, it seems that universities really like using Qwest bandwidth, but I don't know why... My work with it was very brief, and finding reviews seems to be quite difficult.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

For the record, I'm mainly wondering how they compare to the likes of Aleron, XO, Abovenet, Global Crossing, etc. Don't need to compare them to Sprint, MCI, or Level(3)...

Why not compare them to Sprint/MCI? They are in the same category, all provide bandwidth, but mainly target/market voice, since they are a major voice carrier.

That is why they aren't used in the hosting realm because bandwidth will be more expensive (or at least that is my assumption).

I listed the others because the pricing I'm getting is comparable to the ones I listed. Right now I think I'm leaning towards Abovenet over Qwest.

I just though I'd chime in. My company has been using Qwest for our bandwidth for our hosting, and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Excellent support, responsive service, good pricing (for our area, at least) I'd highly recommend them.

a bit of history

Abovenet NOC:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: Sun Oct 25 20:11:26 PST 1998
    Subject: Qwest problems
    Qwest has recently started turning up its IP services. Tonight, they broke Sprint connectivity for a large number of Internet users, due to lack of filters. The response time for the numerous complaints to them only made the problem worse.

As of now, they seem to have the problem back under control. We will be monitoring them closely for the next two weeks, and escalate problems immediately.

Dave Rand

jsw6,

Don't you think that history on a network problem from 1998 is a bit irrelavent at this point? It was 6 years ago, im just not sure what the point of your post is there. Qwest provides IP tranport for many government agencies, universities, and large businesses. Additionally, they are one of the primary backbone providers for Internet2, the high-speed network primarily used by educational institutions that runs at 10gbit. I think we can all assume they were selected to be a provider on that network for a good reason.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - SAS70 Type-II Colocation in Las Vegas and Seattle

Originally posted by bitstream
    jsw6,

Don't you think that history on a network problem from 1998 is a bit irrelavent at this point? It was 6 years ago, im just not sure what the point of your post is there.
    Good to know you can subtract.

Qwest provides IP tranport for many government agencies, universities, and large businesses.
    I am not aware of a Qwest "IP transport" product, however Sprint does have an IP transport product utilizing independent infrastructure and circuits, and VRF, to segment their IP transport customers from both the public Internet, and from other IP transport customers. Or did you mean, "IP transit?"

Additionally, they are one of the primary backbone providers for Internet2, the high-speed network primarily used by educational institutions that runs at 10gbit. I think we can all assume they were selected to be a provider on that network for a good reason.
    I wouldn't put any faith in a company based on Internet2 having selected them. Keep in mind, the new, faster, 10Gb/sec I2 backbone has a lot of core routers which have all their long-haul oc192c interfaces on the same FPC, and other FPCs next to them with several open PIC slots (if not empty all together). Take a gander at an I2 site sometime. You will be impressed by their cabling and documentation, then you'll say, oh, here are some huge, very obvious mistakes that could easily be fixed.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

QWEST ~ Ride the Lie!

Perhaps the point that jsw6 was trying to make was the fact that Qwest has a long, long history of clueLESSness.

Qwest salesdroids will offer low prices to get you interested. Basically it's a "bait and switch". Somewhere down the road you'll probably be informed that pricing is actually higher - much higher. Also be very careful about hidden fees.

Qwest is not well known in the hosting industry for two simple reasons. First, they are expensive. Second, quality of service isn't on par with other providers in the same price range.

Personally, I have always found Qwest to be an extremely difficult company to deal with.

If you need more info search on google or the NANOG archives.

As far as their network goes, their inter-US peering capacity is pretty good and pingtimes are pretty nice as well (yes I am a direct qwest transit customer). They are mostly Juniper based network at the core, but they still use a lot of Cisco cat6509's and GSR's at the edge and border. (not that it is bad by any means, just telling you what I see.. ).

Yes it is true a good chunk of big universities and R&E nets use Qwest as their transit provider; so qwest could be an option for you if majority of your customer traffic is destined to K-22 ed sites. But then again, Cogent is handing out FE's and GE's like candies to universities, so why not deal with Cogent, since support is better (seriously)?

I do find Qwest customer support difficult... They do however have some clued people in the NOC, its just that they are not really 'allowed' to deal with customers (huh??). As always once you get to know a couple or so of the right clued people at their noc, you should be able to get around most of support issues as long as YOUR noc techs are clued enough as well.

-J
    TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
    Metro-Boston Affordable Colocation, Dedicated Servers & IP Consulting
    http://www.towardex.com
    [email protected]

Maybe all the universities like Qwest because of a little project called I2.

Oh and Karl, just because you are in school or recently attended a campus event or *maybe* got to see a RFP that Steadfast Notworkz was woefully inadequate to respond to doesn't mean you have a clue about ICN and WiscNet. Make sure to say a big HELLO to NickC for all of us.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    I only know them through the work I've done on WiscNet, the Illinois Century Network, and other such educational networks, it seems that universities really like using Qwest bandwidth, but I don't know why... My work with it was very brief, and finding reviews seems to be quite difficult.
    Karl, you're on crack. You don't speak for WISCNET, and I am impressed that anyone even tangentially involved on the campus (CSL staff, grad students, etc) would get the impression anyone "likes" Qwest. There's alot more to transit being "good" than sounding "cool" on a mostly bull-s*** forum such as this.

Take a peek at wwwstats.net.wisc.edu

As you can see and would know from your tenure with WISCNET, the total data being spewed into Qwest is but a mere fraction of the entire campuses transit load:

#8 ASN-QWEST (209) 3.4 M 2.1% 7.5 M 3.2%

Stand back! Coming in 8th place, 3.2% of all the bits leaving campus are riding that amazing Qwest bandwidth! This isn't a mistake - for reasons that aren't even worth getting into on such a non-technical forum, just accept that Qwest doesn't get much use by Wisc.

--tk

Only 8th place? Maybe Karl should call up Qwest and ask "Dude, where is the CORE"

Wow!

You guys like to flame.

I remember the good old time when flaming was not allowed on this forum...

It's not flaming. It's about getting people who simply have a rack and sound like they run a real network to stop bullsh!tting on WHT.

-J
    [email protected]

In my opinion, having a rack and not a cage does not make you deserve less respect.

All I ask is that you guys calm your words so we can have a healthy discussion.

tkapela, I was only working with WiscNet VERY briefly, and was mainly speaking of my experience with the Illinois Century Network and several universities in the Chicago area. I know most of them seem to like Qwest bandwidth, I just don't know why, which is why I'm asking the question here.

Also, I do not appreciate the comment regarding my previous dealings with Nick Catalano. He was on board as a support tech for web hosting, nothing more. Anything he said regarding network engineering was ay outside his area of expertise. Also, for the record, he hasn't worked for me for many years.

Secondly, what makes someone with a cage or a rack any less qualified to comment on these issues?

Look at it this way.

Welcome to the club.

Harvard U. buys transit from Qwest, some other I2 connected universities buy bandwidth from Qwest... Now other universities start following them? </sarcasm>

Kinda like the whole Teleglobe transit lingo with some nanog dudes :-)

-J
    [email protected]

Looking at the broadband traceroutes here in Denver.. at least there DSL transit suckz (there hops are ridiculously latent)

Lets see, Qworst is HQ'd in Denver, why does it suck? Show us some traceroute LUV! Are you in TOUCHwithyourAMERICA?