Need opinion - Design with Hosting?

Do you think having a design dept. with a hosting company (selling design services as a hosting company) helps or hurts the core hosting business?

One thought may be that when it comes to hosting businesses the optimal way of doing business would be to do hosting only. If you want to have a design dept. then to separate it off as another company. In other words a hosting company may look more professional or legit to potential customers if it just concentrates on hosting.

Another thought may be that they compliment one another and will help each other in sales.

I would love to know what others think.

Thanks.

Jeff

I think that it would help tremendously. Because you now have a client and know that they trust you with there money. So they will most likely host with you.
    David

It can have both a positive and a negative effect, especially if you are a one-person-shop and your customers know that. They might feel that you will offer lower quality support since you will be working on other customers websites.

What I do is partner with a local graphic design firm that does web development. I host their site for free, and push all design requests to them. They then host their entire client base with me. Not a reseller account, each customer has an account directly with me. This means that they can focus on what they do best, and I can focus on what I do best.

Originally posted by amish_geek
    It can have both a positive and a negative effect, especially if you are a one-person-shop and your customers know that. They might feel that you will offer lower quality support since you will be working on other customers websites.

What I do is partner with a local graphic design firm that does web development. I host their site for free, and push all design requests to them. They then host their entire client base with me. Not a reseller account, each customer has an account directly with me. This means that they can focus on what they do best, and I can focus on what I do best.
    Good point.

Since we are not a one man shop and offer only template designs as opposed to full sevice we shouldnt run into that problem.

But we still could be perceived as a multi service company which may not be as good as a company that only concentrates on hosting.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Web Design helps the hosting business a lot!

Web design and hosting are a very good combination. Especially if you hit the local market. There is lot of business to be made. Check your local competition for pricing and use them as a guidance.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

I don't think offering design with hosting is bad. It's not that far of a stretch. (and no, I'm not saying all hosts are good designers nor am I saying all designers are good hosts). But it's not like you're saying you're a hosting company that can also come fix your plumbing.

The key is just don't stretch yourself too thin. And hosting/design in the local market works great as TheFish said. I've had pretty decent luck with it.
    Matt Walters
    http://mattwalters.net/ - Weblog