Thread: Ghoulnet.com

Ghoulnet.com

Hi there,

I've had tremendously bad experiences with a UK-based hosting company (ghoulnet.com) I've been dealing with, which hosts websites of three of my clients.

Downtime and server-crashes with a complete loss of all data seems to be a very recurring theme.
    Three different websites, on three different servers, have been affected with all data being lost, replacement of the faulty server took, in one instance, about a week!

In terms of server maintenance and upkeep, their standards do not seem to be up to scratch either. On two seperate occasions I had to ask them to delete the log-file as it had taken over the every last bit of free HD space and I couldn't upload anything anymore (no access to the log-directory, of course). Very, very poor server-configuration - and I have to see them update their servers before they crash.

I can only recommend to avoid Ghoulnet at all costs, they used to be quite reliable when I started using them (about three years ago), but have in the last year or so become extremely unreliable.

I'll be moving those domains to hostroute.co.uk with whom I've had very good experiences so far; frequent updates, patches, security updates, cpanel updates etc. all included.

Good luck with the new company ;-/

You should of left when the first server went wrong :-/
    - Providing premium web hosting solutions since 2003
    |Managed Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting | Web Design | Server Management |

I can only re-iterate what Patrick says.

Server crashes (3 in 3 months), lost data, no back ups, intermittent missing mail and support that usually consists of 'try it again now'.

I'm moving out after 3+ years....

Well, I hope everything goes well with your new host.

Also, i would also advise you to backup regularly for those server "mishaps"
    Sang P. Ma
    President/VizHost.Com, Inc.
    http://www.vizhost.com

Yes, they are pretty unstable. We have had a multi-account there for a long time, and have been gradually shifting the sites out.

A week never seems to go by without one of the servers being down. Often for an hour or two, but sometimes longer.

They used to be quite attractive a few years ago, when there were not too many reseller/multi type options around. However, technology has overtaken them, and their prices are now very high in a relative sense.

I have a feeling that if they are to survuce in the longer term they need to completely revamp their offerings and raise their game.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

Originally posted by philofleeds
    I'm moving out after 3+ years....
    You have to be commended for your patience.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Originally posted by NexDog
    You have to be commended for your patience.
    Commended... hell. A medal of honor more like it.
    Fast and Affordable Windows Web Hosting
    Unlimited Email Accounts - POP and Webmail
    SQL Server 2000 - ASP.NET
    MySQL - PHP - FrontPage

Thanks for the warning patrikG and good luck with your new host. Maybe you can let us know how their service is after a few months with them. Cheers!

I know this is an old thread, but I had to add that I used Ghoulnet extensively for various sites I had in the past. I used them from about 3 years ago to 2003 and they used to be quite a reliable host.

The tech help was reasonable and mainly consisted of a typical reply with:

--
    Could you test this again please?

Regards
    support@ghoulnet.com
    --

(From actual reply!)

Which means, yes, we have a fault and we've probably fixed it?! LOL.

I found them to be more and more unreliable as time went on, especially with server drags and poor speeds/downtime.

I have used them for domain purchasing/registration since though I have to admit, no probs there!

Good luck with your new host

Originally posted by yea722
    Good luck with your new host
    Thanks yea722, I've been with Invision Power Services since the last part of 2003 with shared hosting and they've been great!

are Invision Power Services in anyway affiliated with Invision Power Board? Are they their hosting division?

Regards,
    Shay Bekman

Originally posted by portal
    are Invision Power Services in anyway affiliated with Invision Power Board? Are they their hosting division?

Regards,
    Shay Bekman
    Hi Shay,

Yes, that's right:

http://www.ipshosting.com

Never knew that, that's cool.. You learn something new every day .

Regards,
    Shay Bekman

LOL@portal.

They've been excellent I have to say (at risk of sounding like an advert here!). Good forum software and good hosting.

Hmm, I didn't know that either^.
    Well, hope your new host is going good for you, and thanks for the heads up on ghoulnet... good/reliable hosting do sometimes become unreliable as they start getting more customers, eck. You had a --lot-- more patience than I would have had if I was in your postion....