New PC without a floppy drive- good idea?

I'm on the verge of getting a new computer, and was wondering, is getting a PC without a floppy to save a few bucks a good idea? As of now I can't think of any use for it, so I guess I need some remindars if there are in fact good reasons...

you never know when you will need a floppy drive plus there cheap and any case comes with 2 bays.
    plus its good to be backword compatible

good idea? No. Sometimes you will need to boot a floppy, which I still do sometimes, and thats whe you will be kicking yourself for not having a floppy drive.

I agree with Bud Host, you WILL need one at some point sooner or later, it's best to spend the extra 10$ or whatever. Good luck.

Regards,
    Paul B. Riddick
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

I can't remember the last time I used a floppy disk... certainly not with my current computer, heck my mac doesn't have a fdd.

Nope... sometimes you will either get a floppy from a friend that is on older technology. I was thinking of the new Dells which have since removed them but then thought otherwise.

Originally posted by Rich2k
    I can't remember the last time I used a floppy disk... certainly not with my current computer, heck my mac doesn't have a fdd.
    I also hardly ever use floppies. But you never know, someone may give one to you one day or you might need to use a linux / windows bootdisk and thats when you will have problems. Floppies are still standard, they aren't going away anytime soon? And you want to have to go through all the hassles that not having a floppy drive may entail, all to save 10$.....please.....spend the money and don't skimp on things that are sometimes very important

Originally posted by JamesLFX
    Nope... sometimes you will either get a floppy from a friend that is on older technology. I was thinking of the new Dells which have since removed them but then thought otherwise.
    Yep, I'm looking at a Dell system as well, which for this particular package doesn't have a floppy by default.

Removed mine from my home pc. Didnt need it and anyhow....you can boot from cd rom you know
    ~~klooki NET~~
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

you can buy an external floppy for about $40 bucks. Sure.. it's a little bit more. But in the long run, may just be worth it as an external drive.

It's not really needed anymore. I use the floppy drive in this desktop for nothing more than a removable storage device for text files I'd rather not have left on a hard drive.

Never needed it for any other reason since Windows XP. If hardware needs installing it's on a CD, or Windows already knows what it is.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

i haven't had one for a while and dont miss it, i booted from the cd when the laptop went tits up.......

For the extra $10, is it worth not having IF you really need it someday? Spend the extra buck, look at it as an insurance investment...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I don't have a floppy ... I just use a USB floppy and some newer mobos will even let you boot from one.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Originally posted by KIAHost
    I don't have a floppy ... I just use a USB floppy and some newer mobos will even let you boot from one.
    Yep, I have a USB stick that I can boot from. Very handy little piece of technology