Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Starting your own domain regisrar...how?

I would like to start my own REAL domain registrar, this is not a how do I become a reseller thread.

I want to actually be the registar, and get ICANN accreditied etc.

I would like to know how to do this though. Would I need to set up my own servers?

How do you become a registar?

Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    start reading here http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation.htm

and especially here http://www.icann.org/registrars/accr...financials.htm
    okay, just say I become ICANN acredited. Then what? How do I actually start registering domains? Does it cost me anything?

The start up costs are about $16000 not including programming or server expenses.
    Quality web hosting PullHost.com

Then $6.15-$6.30 per domain.
    Quality web hosting PullHost.com

server expenses? Why do I need servers?

Also, where would I / how would I actually register the domains once I was a register?

Bub Host, with all due respect... if you don't know why you need servers then perhaps it's a bit early for you to think about being a registrar. Don't try to run before you can walk. Learn about the industry first.

(This is meant as constructive advice, not as an attack)

Originally posted by Lubeca
    Bub Host, with all due respect... if you don't know why you need servers then perhaps it's a bit early for you to think about being a registrar. Don't try to run before you can walk. Learn about the industry first.

(This is meant as constructive advice, not as an attack)
    omg, I know what servers are for, for gods sake I run a hosting company , but I want to know to know why I need them to be a domain registrar? To host the domain selling website? I knew that already! Would I need to run my own DNS servers?

Please don't jump to the conclusion that I am a newbie, as I am not one of those thanks.

You need servers for at least running a good whois database.

Originally posted by fattee77
    You need servers for at least running a good whois database.
    yes I am aware of that, however, I would still like to know the answer to my main question:

Once I become ICANN acredited, where / how to I actually register a domain?

tehy will provide you with technical details, as most of us here aren't ICANN accredited registrars.

tehy give you interface and you program toward it to register domains and so.

and yes you need your own servers to host the WHOIS database and dns services if you are offering.

there is some companies that offer you this all for certain fee, like enom.com REGISTRARPDQ.com contact them ask about it, and LOGICBOXES.com by directi.com
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I am not sure, but I thought Tucows also provides all the necessary backends.

Originally posted by Bub Host
    Please don't jump to the conclusion that I am a newbie, as I am not one of those thanks.
    Not meant to be rude, but your asking of a newbie question naturally solicits such a conclusion. I would have read through the documentation over at ICANN BEFORE even thinking of asking HERE.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I always wanted to reg. domain names, but since it is about $1600 just to start up, I think I will forget about it and still reg. domains with omnis.com at $7.95.

I wish I only spent $1600

Originally posted by gghosting
    I always wanted to reg. domain names, but since it is about $1600 just to start up, I think I will forget about it and still reg. domains with omnis.com at $7.95.
    It's not $1,600... It's $16,000
    And it's actually closer to $20,000 if you want to be a registrar for some country SLDs.

Unless you can easily guarantee about 40,000 registrations it is not even worth your time.

The whole registration market has just become flooded. Hard to make money if you are just starting out in it without name recognition.

Regards,
    -Steve

Nevermind.
    Was corrected

Originally posted by nameslave
    Not meant to be rude, but your asking of a newbie question naturally solicits such a conclusion. I would have read through the documentation over at ICANN BEFORE even thinking of asking HERE.
    how was my question a newbie question? I don't think starting an ICANN accredited regisrar is a beginners topic. And the documentation on the ICANN website didn't really answer my quesiton, therefore I came here.

I wanted to know how to actually register domains once I was ICANN accredited, and I now have my answer.

Originally posted by Bub Host
    And the documentation on the ICANN website didn't really answer my quesiton, therefore I came here.
    Never bad to ask questions. The worst questions are those that are never asked.

But ICANN does have a pretty detailed overview of the steps involved at.
    http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation.htm

There is a big section names "Becoming an ICANN-Accredited Registrar".

Regards,
    -Steve

I already knew about becoming ICANN accredited, but I didn't know what happened after that......

Nevermind..... Woops
    Last edited by Nullified; 03-25-2004 at 04:00 PM.
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

If you are serious about becoming an ICANN Accredited Registrar then you should talk to the guys at www.logicboxes.com . They have a service whereby they handle your entire application for a fee of $2000.

The fixed cost for becoming a registrar is $15000-$18000 / yr. Over and above this you would have the registry cost per domain which is $6 per for .com / .net and you also have to pay ICANN $0.15-0.20 per domain.

You shouldnt look at the option of becoming a registrar unless you have > 20000 names after which it might make sense.

im just going to resell.....thats way above my budget

If you are doing at least 20,000 to 25,000 registrations a year being accredited makes sense.
    Domain Maven

lol, 20k.....i'll be luck to make 20 cents out of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast