Hosting and a phpBB forum

I am not certain how to ask this question but I will try.

I want to get a phpBB 2.0.6 messageboard hosted by iPowerWeb or PowWeb. I would like to know, would there be any limits to how many users I could have on my forum at one time simultaneously?

Would I be able to have 500 users on my phpBB messageboard all at the same time?

Thanks,
    DE

Re: Hosting and a phpBB forum

Originally posted by Ellerbe
    I am not certain how to ask this question but I will try.

I want to get a phpBB 2.0.6 messageboard hosted by iPowerWeb or PowWeb. I would like to know, would there be any limits to how many users I could have on my forum at one time simultaneously?

Would I be able to have 500 users on my phpBB messageboard all at the same time?

Thanks,
    DE
    should be able to, although it will give their servers a little bit of a hammering
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Re: Re: Hosting and a phpBB forum

Originally posted by Sash!
    should be able to, although it will give their servers a little bit of a hammering
    Thank you very much Sash!

Have an excellent day!

Invision is better tyhan phpbb beacuse u have to install less mods,I was in phpbb but now on invision

And now www.simplemachines.org has a forum that's going to really turn some heads.

To answer the original op's question... I would stay far away from PowWeb and iPowerWeb... just do a search here to find out why.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Originally posted by TRN Douglas
    And now www.simplemachines.org has a forum that's going to really turn some heads.

To answer the original op's question... I would stay far away from PowWeb and iPowerWeb... just do a search here to find out why.
    Is it better than invision?,should I go for it then?

You should go for invision. simplemachines is still in beta version. It will be safer for you to go with invision.
    Reliability , Consistency , Trustworthy
    http://www.paradoxhost.com

500 members on?
    I wouldn't be surprised if ipowerweb and powweb boot you off..
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Try geting a server if you have the money.

I hope you did a search on iPowerWeb and PowWeb http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

If you didn't do it now. You'll find out a few things.

Originally posted by splashed
    Is it better than invision?,should I go for it then?
    I am running the beta on a production site. They DO advise that you don't run it on a production site, however, a LOT of work has gone into this to ensure it's stability, scalability and operability.
    Originally posted by PH-Peter
    You should go for invision. simplemachines is still in beta version. It will be safer for you to go with invision.
    Have you tried SMF yet? Please don't make posts based on something you haven't tried yet. I've tried IPF, phpBB, vBulletin, UBB and a few others.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

I love ipowerweb and would swear by them! Ipowerweb had provided me with nothing but good service. My website has only been down for a total of 4 hours over the past 7 months. I have absolutly no complaints about them!

phpBB is Way Better.

Alot more Mods!

You can have as many Members online at a Time as you want, as many as your server can hold.

PhpBB is Better then Invision, You can Make your Own Themes, Mods if you know .php easy.

I suggest it.

Let me know if you need help installing it, and I can install a Fully Moded Forum for you. (Pm or Email me for more Details)

Thanks,
    Kevin

Originally posted by TopRate
    phpBB is Way Better.

<snip>

You can have as many Members online at a Time as you want, as many as your server can hold.
    this isn't software related as far as I'm aware, one user on phpBB needs one MySQL connection as does one user on IPB.

cg
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

To accommodate 500 users online at any one time ? I think your better bet will be getting a dedicated server.
    Top10WebHosting Admin
    Top10WebHosting.com

i'm going to stay away from the forum software argument, if he wants to use it, that's just fine, i am still a militant invision power board user.

It shouldn't matter as long as you don't go over your bandwidth quota for the month, they might have some arguments if your forum software runs too many sql queries and drives their server load up. But, the only real problem that may exist is that you will go over your alloted data transfer cap for the month and or day.

Unless they have changed, Powweb in particilar has strict rules in regards to SQL connections. And relability issues in that area as well. They would give you the boot if you didn't end up leaving....