hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Site got slashdotted...user insults us

Forum Jump

Site got slashdotted...user insults us

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Invented the Internet

Site got slashdotted...user insults us

His site, a php blog mind you, gets slashdotted and promptly slows the server to a crawl (not just bandwidth, but resources). Obviously we suspend the site ASAP - and he's more than a little upset about it.

He feels that our servers must be overloaded (or just plain crap) because it can't handle the added load of his site being listed on the main page of slashdot.org. I've tried to explain to him that its NOT a bandwidth issue alone...but resource-hogging that negatively affects everyone on that server. He doesn't get it.

This is actually the second time his site has been slashdotted, and it was suspended. I've politely suggested he upgrade to a dedicated server, from his regular hosting account...which went over like a lead balloon.

Anyway, I guess I'm asking for sympathy or similar experiences.

--Tina

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Will Host for Food

Sympathy .. help yourself, i've a bucket full of it, take as much as you need.

Similar ... one of our clients got mentioned on capital radio breakfast show - server normally doing 150kbs started peaking @ 18Mb/s - offered to take it down or charge them .. "keep it up *please* keep it up" was their answer... they got a big bill for 2 days hammering

Idea ... catch the referal ip, and redirect to a framed version of the site with your and googels ads top and bottom - that way AH earns some cash and gets some exposure

UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Old 03-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Retired Moderator

Hah, we got away lightly a couple months ago. A 'second level' slashdotting, on a sunday early in the morning with a not-as-popular article (digital camera of some type).

We actually got hit harder with fark, someone posted a mirror for some pictures.. A few maxclients notices, but she stayed up.

Most of the sites that get slashdotted/farked real easy are mysql-laden, in my experience. Were these blogs pulling from mysql, or were they the type that generate a static page per update?

Not looking forward to that first true slashdotting though.

Proudly hosting since 2002

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Retired Moderator

I feel you. We had a customer whose phpBB forum slowed the server to a snail's pace on a daily basis because of the number of users he had + the number of hacks he'd installed. When we suspended the account he screamed he was losing "Tens of thousands of dollars in ad revenue" every day it was down. We explained the problem and suggested he upgrade to a dedicated server so he could use all the resources he wanted and not have to worry about the other users.

His reply? "You all must be a bunch of monkeys who don't know how to run a server or a business if you're trying to get your customers off of your servers."

He left the next day Never got a chance to ask him how he pulled in so much ad revenue with a forum about Britney Spears LOL. Oh well...live and learn.

Old 03-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

I hear Britney Spears is popular

150kb/s to 18MB/s!?!?!?! That is the slashdot effect!

:: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Old 03-15-2004, 11:46 PM
WHT Addict

Good grief 150kbs to 18MBs that is a huge increase

AIM - Badda Bing 0003

Old 03-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

Best option I've found with this is to put network rate limiting on. Everyone gets to view the site (slower) but keeps the server up

Rus

Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Too smart for her own good.

Tina, all I can say is ---ugh---

Kudos to you for protecting the interests of your server.

Bailey

Old 03-16-2004, 01:14 AM
Account Disabled

anytime we suspend customers for high resource usage, and the best interest of other customers, they come into WHT and whine and cry...go figure...

Old 03-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

As soon as I start getting customers that are liable to be slashdotted/farked/whatevered... I might set up a separate server just for that. As soon as the onslaught comes, dump a static version of the site onto the the dedicated with a special "Hostedby:" bar on top with some ads. Then replace the index file with a redirect.

Write that into our AUP and the default alternative for those events. If they would rather not have that happen, then their site can be suspended, or they can move to another host, and wait for the DNS resolution...

Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 AM
Older than the Internet

We had a client that one of his sites got mentioned [the site owner was being interviewed on the air] on some USA syndicated talk show. It was a political show, and the site was a protest site against one of the TV networks, for that Ronald Reagan TV show they made, but never aired.

Pretty much killed the server. Had to remove the site completely from the server. Although us web hosts understand the logistics behind this, hosting clients don't understand and it's up to us to educate them as best as possible.

Of course not all clients want to understand the limitations of the server etc. Our situation eventually worked out well. Although the client was a bit miffed for having his site pulled, he eventually understood our reasonings, and that took some rather lenghty explantions from me and a HTTPme sysadmin.

Last edited by Aussie Bob; 03-16-2004 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:56 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jvds
Best option I've found with this is to put network rate limiting on. Everyone gets to view the site (slower) but keeps the server up

Rus
How does that work? (Just a quick over-view)

Thanks,
Lamar

Old 03-16-2004, 02:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

Oh....and Tina, you do have my sympathies!

-Lamar

Old 03-17-2004, 12:10 AM
WHT Addict

Another view...

Tina,
I am not saying you did anything wrong, but it would suck if I was the customer and after years of waiting, scrounging, and begging, my blog was shut down the day after I hit the big time. My blog (shameless plug) is actually on one of your servers (Luna), I think its the only thing left I have running there.

Do you have all your MySQL databases on another server? or on the actual hosted server (I cant remember). That could make a difference to how his site responded. And you did not share actual bandwidth numbers either.

If it was my customer, and I had a back up server, I would have moved him there temporarily (for the sake of the other server residents) and gave him the option of paying the extra bandwidth per month, or uping his plan, or shutting the site down tomarrow. At that point, I would have made it his choice, that way no matter what he choose, he is still making the choice. It takes the pressure off of you.

But if you did not have the resources to do that, you need to protect everyone else on the server. So I am not saying you did the wrong thing, its just that I could feel for the guy a little. Hate me if you will, and please when I hit the big time, please don't shut my little blog down. Slashdot here I come.

Last edited by vantasticman7; 03-17-2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

what does slash dotted mean (I am new). Is it that a site gets a ton of hits in a short period of time?

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
WPTouch WordPress Plugin Vulnerability Allows Non-Admins to Take Over Website Web Hosting News 2014-07-14 16:17:19
Hackers Deface WhatsApp Website with Pro-Palestine Message Web Hosting News 2013-10-08 10:20:11
HostingCon 2013: BaseKit Partners with Tsohost Web Hosting News 2013-06-19 19:15:25
DreamHost to Host First Ever DreamCon User Conference in August Web Hosting News 2013-01-23 14:09:22
FireHost Report Finds Cross-Site Attacks Trump SQL Injections in Q3 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-10-23 09:18:51